The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 08:18:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TVI Anyone ?  (Read 3851 times)
w5hro
« on: January 29, 2009, 09:56:12 PM »

Well, I'm still unpacking boxes and I came across two of my Drake TVI low pass filters. One is the TV-1000 in the old copper chassis and the other is the TV-3300. The TV-1000 has never been used and was still sealed in its original box when I found it. I remember placing both of them on an IFR spectrum analyzer and they had really sharp roll-off above 50Mc with great attenuation from that point on. From what I remember the newer TV-3300 had slightly better characteristics and it’s roll-off started a bit lower somewhere right after 30Mc. I think it was once rated one of the best if not the best TVI filters ever made.

Anyone have any spec sheets or info on these babies?

* drake_filters.jpg (667 KB, 1808x1663 - viewed 384 times.)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2009, 10:10:27 PM »

Google is your friend.

http://www.wb4hfn.com/DRAKE/DrakeArticles/LPF3300.htm
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2009, 07:32:21 AM »

Does anyone actually used one of these in there shack today?  I have an EF Johnson version, but never used it as I thought they were finicky about the load they fed into (50 ohms).

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2009, 03:27:53 PM »

With so many TV's now on cable or satellite, harmonic TVI is much less a problem than it used to be.  RF overload (faulty design of cheap consumer junk) is now more of a concern.  Even with rooftop antenna reception, harmonic TVI may be  less of a problem once the digital transition occurs, since the worst offenders, the low-band VHF channels will be taken out of service and everything shifted to channel 5 or higher, or to UHF.

I heard the other day that the House failed to pass the proposed delay of the digital  conversion until June.  Right now it appears that it will occur in February as planned.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2009, 06:08:12 PM »

I use Johnsons behind both TS-940's and into amps. Had to put one on the VNA and tweak as someone was messing around with it. Other than that they look excellent on the VNA and TS-940 VSWR meters. Got some copper box Drake on the Viking I and use ICE 421's on all amps, AM or SSB/CW.

Last I read, Comcast didnt even have 80% penetration in this town but that was a few years ago. I can run any band HF to microwave at any time and havent had a TVI call in years.

As far as DTV, dont hold your breath. The House will bring it up again next week or so probably with revisions to get it passed.

CH2 -5 will still be used by up to 7 stations, the industry lobbied that way to preserve the spectrum.....for now at least.

I was hoping for a 70 mHz ham allocation. It may still be possible under a secondary, no interference, type of allocation.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015