The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 10:52:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Unidentified Music Station on 1995 kHz  (Read 7387 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: February 25, 2009, 02:20:52 AM »

I tuned in a moderately strong AM signal at the top end of 160m this evening.  It was playing hits from the mid 1960's, but no voice announcements.  Fairly good audio, but just a little short of broadcast quality. I first tuned it in about 0515 GMT.  It kept going strong until it played its last song and cut the carrier at 0600 GMT sharp.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2009, 09:06:16 AM »

I heard a similar station on 7295 two weeks ago.
K4TLJ

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2009, 10:07:31 AM »

It could be harmonics from a 'Part 15' home broadcaster. I have one that I use for 'homecasting' to my antique radios. The harmonics can be stronger than the primary because the short legal length antenna radiates more efficiently at higher frequencies. The Pi net in the output must be tuned properly.

Regards
Terry
K4TLJ
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2009, 11:02:43 AM »

Those DAM pirates and their non-broadcast quality transmissions.
Stand out!!!!
Go to full legal limit and the loudest audio that rattles speakers around the whirl.
Wasn't me..........My outlet for playing music is WBCQ..............50KW

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2009, 11:19:57 AM »

Unlikely to be a harmonic from a Part 15 AMBC transmitter.  Too strong for 160, and too stable for a simple oscillator, and coincidentally, precisely on 1995. Also, it was much  better on the beverage than on the indoor loop or 75m dipole, indicating it was hundreds of miles away, to the north or northeast.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W2VW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2009, 11:26:32 AM »

Also, it was much  better on the beverage than on the indoor loop or 75m dipole, indicating it was hundreds of miles away, to the north or northeast.

No one up here ever does anything like that. Someone must have moved your beverage as a gag. Go check it out.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2009, 11:51:13 AM »

No one up here ever does anything like that.

I figure it had be on a ship at sea, offshore just beyond the territorial limit, however many miles that is these days.

- - -
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2009, 01:11:14 PM »

Aft Don and the rest of the gang..Don heard it here too at about S2 or so..not very strong..been on there b/4..always figured it was a harmonic..maybe once or twice a week..maybe not....not 100% sure about terratorial limits out in the ocean but seem to recall that it's 200 miles or so from the coast..OK Steve about 7295..har har now it might be a good comment if we could get the SW broadcasters to saddle up and move out..they do create their own version of chaos there aft and evenings for sure

By the way Don I've mentioned this b/4..ur always strapping up here on the re-vamped SX140..notice you do lots of chit chatting around 3.680 or so more often than in the ghetto..as Martha would say "it's a good thing"  73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2009, 01:34:22 PM »

Also, it was much  better on the beverage than on the indoor loop or 75m dipole, indicating it was hundreds of miles away, to the north or northeast.
No one up here ever does anything like that. Someone must have moved your beverage as a gag. Go check it out.

heheheh...  Or maybe the Bev rotator got stuck to the west... Wink   

The real questions are: Did it sound like 15,000 CLEAR watts?  Was it Kraco or Bird watts?

(I'll give it a listen tonight on the Bevs too, Don)

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
ve6pg

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »

..ok, it was me don...i'm surprised it sounded so good..after all, i'm using an inferior class D transmitter..

..sk..

...Yes, my name is Tim Smith...sk..
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2009, 03:43:44 AM »

No one up here ever does anything like that.

yeh, what he said. The NE gang reads Part 97 every night like little kids read their prayers before they jump into bed. There's no doubt.

Was it Kraco or Bird watts?

Grin Kraco watts. Tom, you slayed me. That's thinking outside teh box OM. I dont think they ever actually made a wattmeter tho. How about Vanco Watts? This is QUALITY.

* 278f_1.jpg (54.7 KB, 390x286 - viewed 438 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2009, 08:17:07 AM »

I resemble that. I have one and it is dead nuts on compared with my calorimeter which in turn is calibrated against the NBS US standard (pictured.)

* water htr and cup.jpg (3.21 KB, 115x115 - viewed 398 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2009, 08:28:52 AM »

they probably use bird 43's on the assembly line to calibrate them.  Cheesy
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2009, 08:36:29 AM »

short and simple: If you have never burned a PL-259 connector off of the coass, you just aint runnin enuff power!!  Grin Grin Who needz a stinkin wattmeter!

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2009, 10:30:32 AM »

If you burned off a PL259, you were probably doing something wrong, like running your rig into a short.

Dosey watts is what you want.  Wink
ab3al
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2009, 04:05:43 PM »

o   s   sir   dosey  summ  big watts there cracker lacker 69... u   ot one them thar muddy wader slappers....      beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeebooooooooooooop
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »

Wass there some reverb in that transmission?Huh
booooopbeeeeep.............I'm outta phase OM

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015