The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 09:47:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Effort afoot to "reclaim" 3600-3700 CW subband  (Read 20002 times)
K1MVP
« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2009, 12:13:09 AM »

Seems like the AM versus CW versus SSB arguments all over again, similar to the code-no code
"wars" on qrz.com a few years ago.

Ham radio has come a long way in the past few years, and the future looks "bright"? Roll Eyes

Think I`d rather read a good book, than waste time arguing about this.
This "horse" has been "beat to death", IMO.

73, K1MVP

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2009, 12:15:43 AM »

Not really. No wars. Just pointing out the stupidity of one group (in this case CW weirdos) wanting more exclusive frequencies. My response would be the same, no matter the mode, including AM.

There's really no legitimate argument for this proposed reclamation idiocy, so yes, reading a book would be more worthwhile.

The future of ham radio is no less bright than it has been in the last 30 years.
K1MVP
« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2009, 01:56:32 AM »

Just pointing out the stupidity of one group (in this case CW weirdos)

Steve,
There are hams I know personally(who are very technically proficient) who think AM`ers are a
bit "strange", so I guess it would depend on one`s "perspective".
                                                  73, Rene, MVP

P.S.,--I do not agree with them,--I am just noting my experience with some other hams.
ka3zlr
« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2009, 03:07:44 AM »

I always wondered,.. if everybody had everything...in time ..somebody would find something to Bitch about...There are some people that Live.... to much radio man...Toms right an so is Pete...I'm on the air now there's a few hot spots.. little DX like I hunt for..and Lotsa dead space...Traffic is what it is..Time sensitive...I like night time operations...but that doesn't give me any right to bust anybody's balls about what they do...and I don't...I do like the way Canada does it though... Smiley

These are the band edges... these are the rules...stay within them..it's Like really self explanatory..

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2009, 04:04:40 AM »

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2009, 08:20:50 AM »

Steve said:
The CW elistists are a millstone around amateur radio's neck and always have been.

Grin

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W1EUJ
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2009, 08:29:00 AM »

The CW elistists are an albatross around amateur radio's neck and always have been.

* 0014.jpg (390.5 KB, 700x1053 - viewed 422 times.)
W1UJR
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2009, 09:50:51 AM »

Ham radio has come a long way in the past few years, and the future looks "bright"? Roll Eyes

Think I`d rather read a good book, than waste time arguing about this.
This "horse" has been "beat to death", IMO.

73, K1MVP

I agree, I love CW, but if the amount of "computer time" spent hashing out every perceived "wrong" was translated to actual "air time", we'd be having the most robust period of activity in the history of the amateur service.

I've noted a most intriguing correlation, in that those who spend the most time on the computer, are also those who whine the most about on air activity.

Seems kind of odd, doesn't it?

Those who use the privileges the least are the ones to complain the most?

The one bright spot, at least the way that I figure it, is if they are on the computer whining, then I don't have to listen to them on the air!  Wink
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2009, 11:42:58 AM »

" who think AM`ers are a bit "strange"  "

I think they arr right............   klc

What? Me worry?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2009, 01:07:40 PM »

I think the elitist mentality in general serves amateur radio (say nothing about mankind) poorly. It's not mode-specific, either. Whether from the 'old technology sucks' group, the "I scored higher in the corntest" bunch, or the "I bought a better collection in 5 years than you built in 25" types, they all miss the point. It's not (or at least, didn't use to be) about what attention you can get, the stuff, etc, but about what you can give to others through your interest. Public service, mentoring/'Elmering' new hams, improving your knowledge base, keeping yourself off the street and out of trouble (that has to count as some kind of civil service)...which might be why it was defined as the Amateur Radio Service vs Hobby. Nothing wrong with enjoying it, but to assign so much self-importance because of it seems lame. Right up there with the newbs insisting they're really old timers. It's all about MEEEEeee.

In this case, aren't the CW whiners (not all CW ops, just the whiners) really proving the FCC's decision to be right and in the best interest of amateur radio? Rather than favoring one group? If there's so little activity down there, where's the problem? "Give it back to us so only we can not use it" doesn't strike me as a good argument.  Roll Eyes

And howdy from 4-Land, Rene! Hope you're staying warm and enjoying all that snow. Heard about Milton, that was my very first 'fest back in the 80s so the feelings of nostalgia are there, but the lid running it offsets much of that. Hope you folks manage to carry on.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2009, 01:20:30 PM »

Todd said:
In this case, aren't the CW whiners (not all CW ops, just the whiners) really proving the FCC's decision to be right and in the best interest of amateur radio? Rather than favoring one group? If there's so little activity down there, where's the problem? "Give it back to us so only we can not use it" doesn't strike me as a good argument. 

Tah-dahh!!! You get the cigar Todd. That is exactly the point. This bonesauce obviously thinks he has a leg to stand on.  Shocked

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2009, 02:11:40 PM »

See, that's the difference between me and them. I don't think all CW ops are strange. Just those who think they are entitled to huge tracts of exclusive spectrum and those who foolishly think CW testing is honorable, etc.

I'm open-minded to all operating modes, they are not. Thus, they are weirdos and quite frankly, anti-amateur radio.

Just pointing out the stupidity of one group (in this case CW weirdos)

Steve,
There are hams I know personally(who are very technically proficient) who think AM`ers are a
bit "strange", so I guess it would depend on one`s "perspective".
                                                  73, Rene, MVP

P.S.,--I do not agree with them,--I am just noting my experience with some other hams.
K1MVP
« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2009, 07:43:09 PM »

And howdy from 4-Land, Rene! Hope you're staying warm and enjoying all that snow. Heard about Milton, that was my very first 'fest back in the 80s so the feelings of nostalgia are there, but the lid running it offsets much of that. Hope you folks manage to carry on.

Hi Todd,
Yep we still have the snow,--am sure you are not missing it down where you are.
By the way are you in NC or SC?

Roger,(K1MBX) from Brookfield moved to Rutherford N.C., a while back and has no regrets after
living up here for a number of years,--he also does not miss the snow.

As far as Milton,--I don`t think you will be missing much,--I didn`t go this past year,--and I may not
go again.
I should try and hit Nearfest this spring, as I have not been to the new location,-- last time I went
was at hosstraders at Contoocook N.H., so its been a while.

73, Rene, K1MVP
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2009, 08:50:44 PM »

No more "Milton".

It is moved to Colchester, and is now called "Ham-Con"   Roll Eyes

More $ to get in .... but a few miles closer (1/2 hour)

It was the first fest I went to that someone pushed me out of the way to buy a piece of gear I was making a deal on!

( I won't mention who ... they frequent this forum )

Supposedly bigger and better... we'l see.

Luckily, not many of the cw elite go... mostly 2 meter cb'ers.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2009, 10:14:04 PM »

How unfriendly. "push-n-grab" behavior is seen here in Texas as well, although very infrequently because bad manners like that can start an argument with escalation. The southern seller usually won't let someone get away with that behavior either, and will ignore them or ask them to wait while they talk with the first party. When negotiating the price with a seller, a buyer will often put its hand on the equipment. That's the cue that for the moment it's spoken for. Oh well. Hopefuly most people with bad manners will stay up north!!

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2009, 10:32:02 PM »

Oh come on I've seen manners degrade a lot when the temperature goes up in Texas.The first time I went it was in the winter and everyone was nice on the road. Summer is a different issue when you want to change lanes.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2009, 11:03:44 PM »

well if you are going to bring the temperature into it, I can concede that point!

k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #42 on: January 12, 2009, 12:28:04 AM »

It was the first fest I went to that someone pushed me out of the way to buy a piece of gear I was making a deal on!

( I won't mention who ... they frequent this forum )

That happened to me once.  Almost caused a serious fight.  I was looking at a tube manual and this big guy overhears the seller tell me what he wants for it.  The guy yanks it out of my hand, shoves the money into the seller's hand, and trots off.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2009, 02:57:28 AM »

Nothing is stopping the CW nazis from operating there, and I submit that that segment of the band is MUCH more occupied than 10%.  I would even submit that it's more occupied now than it was before.

Why must every issue with the CW aficionados degenerate into slinging mud at those extras who passed the test fair and square?  What in the world is gained by disrespecting them? 
Do they think that their holier than thou attitude somehow attracts these newer hams to their hallowed mode, or what?

http://amfone.net/Amforum/index.php?topic=18231.0  See No.16

Who wants to get into a pissing match over this?

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2009, 06:53:04 PM »

not me. Might be worth discussing where the stats came from but it aint worth a pissin match.

Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #45 on: January 13, 2009, 08:20:13 PM »

Say it ain't so!

No more "Milton".

* milton.jpg (104.35 KB, 450x300 - viewed 381 times.)
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2009, 08:58:30 PM »

* Red stepler.jpg (307.01 KB, 2112x1482 - viewed 364 times.)

What? Me worry?
W2ZE
« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

m' yeah, I'm goin to have to go ahead and take that, m' Kay.

* lumbergh.jpg (4.23 KB, 150x160 - viewed 350 times.)
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2009, 09:53:33 AM »

At least Milton gets to show Lumbergh his "Oooo" face at the end....

W1UJR
« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2009, 02:32:39 PM »

Great movie - Don't forget the classic line....

"Damn it feels good to be a gangsta'."  Wink

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015