The AM Forum
May 27, 2024, 03:41:57 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What I did on Christmas Vacation  (Read 5316 times)
KA8WTK
Contributing

« on: January 11, 2009, 07:45:20 PM »

OR....Bill Builds a Tuner
  Here are some pics of my latest project, an antenna tuner. This is a reversible L constructed in a rack mount UPS chassis. Hammer finish aluminum was used for the front panel. The roller inductor started life as a fixed value Gates broadcast coil. Plastic end caps with shaft bushings were added as was the roller and arms to follow the inside of the coil creating a roller inductor. Extra capacitance can be added via a rotary switch. The circuit board box on the back is the pickup for the SWR meter. The tuner can be switched in or out of line, reversed and there is a complete disconnect position. More pics in next message....

* Panel.jpg (110.36 KB, 800x602 - viewed 403 times.)

* Back.jpg (86.7 KB, 800x602 - viewed 426 times.)

* Inside.jpg (130.33 KB, 800x602 - viewed 421 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2009, 07:46:15 PM »

Here are the last two pics with a close-up of the coil.

* Inside2.jpg (104.02 KB, 800x602 - viewed 396 times.)

* Roller.jpg (85.73 KB, 800x602 - viewed 422 times.)

Bill KA8WTK
WQ9E

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2009, 08:14:18 PM »

Bill,

Nice work! 

I am using a reversible L network which also uses a Gates roller coil.  I built it with a vacuum variable and I used BC-375 "tap switches" for bypass, reversing the L configuration, switching antennas, and adding additional caps in parallel to the 1,000 pf vacuum variable.  I have been very happy with mine and the L network helps knock out harmonics.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WA1LGQ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2009, 08:21:08 PM »

Nice job!.....Larry
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2009, 09:29:52 PM »

Nice looking.

Here is my project. The VFO and exciter with PS for the 813 rig.

Former VF-1 VFO feeding a 6AG7 to and 807

Carl
/KPD

* HB 807F.jpg (102.94 KB, 746x442 - viewed 364 times.)

* hb807 t.jpg (74.09 KB, 691x490 - viewed 424 times.)

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 09:55:14 PM »

Both y'all did some fine work there!

Hi Bill,
MFJ could learn a lesson from that tuner on making roller coils - the square stock keeps the roller shaft aligned with the main shaft, whereas on MFJ roller coils the roller shaft posts are just tightened by scews, in the manner of knob setscrews, to the round shaft - and they slip.

Carl, On the exciter, do you have the schematic available for the stages driven by the VFO?

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2009, 12:43:06 AM »

I recognise the vfo as the guts out of a VF-1.

I once used one myself.  A modification that will improve the stability is to remount the coils so that they are mounted like the ones in the DX-100.  You will notice that in the VF-1 (as shown in the photo) the ceramic coil forms are mounted on one wall of the coil subassembly while the tuning slugs are mounted on the opposite side.  When the temperature changes, the copper plated steel box expands and contracts, moving the slugs in and out of the coils ever so slightly, but enough to cause some serious drift.  Take the  coils and tuning slugs out, and drill two  holes each, equally spaced on opposite sides of each slug bushing, spaced just far enough apart to accommodate the threaded mounting studs on the  coils.  Remount the coils in the new  holes and reconnect the wiring, so that coil and slug are mounted on the same wall of the box, and that will eliminate one source of drift.

This explains why the DX-100's VFO is more stable than a VF-1, even though both VFO's are practically identical.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2009, 10:34:09 AM »

What Bill didn't detail is that he machined the roller and fabricated the other parts to mount the shaft and roller assembly. This is a very hot lick since you can often find nice edge-wound inductors like this at fests for pretty reasonable prices. But finding a strapping roller inductor is much harder, especailly for low dollars. Rolling your own like Bill did is sweet!
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2009, 12:17:55 PM »

Thanks for the nice comments. Having a lathe is a real plus.
One thing I probably will change is the SWR components. If I can find a cheap and not pretty Heatkkit AM-2 or HM-102 SWR meter I will change out the meter and pickup. I don't want to take a nice looking one apart. If the meter works and looks good I don't care about the case condition. There are several cheap on e-pay, but by the time you pay shipping you may as well have gone to a hamfest and bought one.

Bill

Bill KA8WTK
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2009, 12:31:56 PM »

...but by the time you pay shipping you may as well have gone to a hamfest and bought one.

When is that indoor fester at the old pick-n-run store, Bill?
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2009, 03:13:12 PM »

Very nice piece of work, Bill. Those edge-wound inductors are just the ticket, and as Steve pointed out - you did a most excellent job of upgrading it. Picked one up in the early 80s that the former owner (a BC engineer) had done this to, but nowhere near as elegantly. Nice to see it done right.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2009, 08:37:50 PM »

I recognise the vfo as the guts out of a VF-1.

I once used one myself.  A modification that will improve the stability is to remount the coils so that they are mounted like the ones in the DX-100. 

Hi Don,
Thanks for the idea
Current plans are to use it only on 160-40. Do you think I wwill need to do that mod for those freqs?

Also one of my other hobbies is insomnia. I tend to wake up late at night (2 AM or so) Eastern and listen to the bedside rcvr. Often here you on 75 with a nice sig. You are a real night owl!
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015