The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 04:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question: Why are IC pins always splayed - need bending?  (Read 5681 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: January 13, 2009, 09:57:49 PM »

One of those things that makes me say, "hmmmmm."

I just built up a PC board for a telescope project. As usual, all the 14 pin dip IC pins needed to be bent inwards to fit into the sockets. Most needed quite a bit of bending to fit.

I've seen this go on for decades across most all chip lines. Why is this so?  Is it the way manufacturers can tell if a chip has been used?  But why put technicians through such a hassle -  what's the deal?

I'll bet there are pin straighteners, but I still use my fingers... sigh.

I did a Google and see no answers.

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
WB2YGF
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2009, 10:29:04 PM »

I have an insertion tool that came in one of those computer tool kits (similar to the one in the link but mine is metal) so its a "known issue".

http://cableorganizer.com/outlet/NQP-TMS-1110.html?section=5&catname=Installation+Tools+%5D+Miscellaneous+Tools&src=froogle&CAWELAID=261925642

Perhaps its to help the auto insertion machine.  The spring loaded pressure might help to stabilize the positioning of the IC in whatever does the inserting.
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2009, 10:52:16 PM »

Yup,

Not just for auto-insertion, but hand tools as well....

It ensures the pins are aligned properly, due to the tool's straight edge when it sqeezes them together..

Easier to push them together, rather than to pull them apart.

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2009, 10:54:44 PM »

That makes a lot of sense, guys. And the price is right for the tool...

Yes, I can see now that an automated (or hand) machine would want to compress the pins inward to maintain pin placement tolerance.

Now if I worked in industry, I would know that... :-)

TNX.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
w1vtp

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »

I just lay those chips sideways on the static mat and grabbing the plastic body bend them in all at the same time.  I then flip the IC and repeat the process.  Been doing that for decades.  I think I have an insertion / straightener tool somewhere but never used it

Al
KE6DF

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2009, 10:33:28 AM »

Yes, I can see now that an automated (or hand) machine would want to compress the pins inward to maintain pin placement tolerance.

Now if I worked in industry, I would know that... :-)

TNX.

T

Well I did work in that industry, and you are right.

By starting with them splayed out a little the automatic insertion machines can adjust them to the right spacing by pressiing inward -- in only one direction.

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2009, 10:35:02 AM »

That's probably the best way to do it for onesies-twosies, would become a pita fast with any number of pieces.

Back in the early 90s I worked for a small company called Certified Software/Spuren Systems as a technician building the prototype and later production models of a D/A converter to be used between a PC and paper recorders for seismology work. We also built the first digital throttle for model railroads but never got it to production. The biggest issue with the chips is that the legs come from the factory with a less-than-90 degree straight bend, which means they're trying to reach out and away from the body. I think this is meant to keep some spring tension on them for contact purposes, not sure. Anyway, most sockets allow for this but placement is important. Can't remember how many I bent in haste.

Tubes are so much easier....  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015