The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 04:59:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Collins R-390 Receiver Break In  (Read 2347 times)
wb1aij
« on: January 02, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »

The break-in feature feature on my R-390 is not working. I have the schematic for the R-390-A but they are different. The R-390 circuit is a bit more complicated involving other switches beside the "break-in" switch. It seems that most hams have the R309-A model. Does anyone know where I can get the schematic for my model? I would like to get that feature operating but I don't want to unlace cables to trace wiring all throughout the receiver and I especially don't want to remove the front panel & have all of the gears get out of sync.
Bob Tomlin
WB1AIJ
W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 10:38:04 AM »

Are you going to Google search anything?
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 11:09:45 AM »

A frequent reason for the break-in relay not functioning in these units is the failure of the selenium rectifier stack. This failure mode is common to both the R-390 and the R-390A. If the stack has failed, replace it with a silicon rectifier. That was the problem with my Motorola R-390. The selenium stack in my '67 EAC R-390A is original and still works fine.

Check to see that you are getting DC to the T/R relay. I don't recall the correct voltage, but I think it is on the order of +28VDC.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 11:52:39 AM »

if he did a google search it would probably take him right back here  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015