The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:17:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Glowing 6EA8  (Read 12250 times)
W1EUJ
« on: December 04, 2008, 10:41:52 AM »

Working on an HW-101 last night, turned off the shop lights. Saw this.

Pretty bluish glow, almost looks like a fluorescence, along the inner surface of the glass.

I'll swap it out, but, ain't it pretty?

* glow1.jpg (202.6 KB, 614x461 - viewed 484 times.)

* glow2.jpg (196 KB, 461x614 - viewed 448 times.)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2008, 10:55:11 AM »

Hmmm,  How purty that glow.
the getter's been gotten.
Keep it if it still works without distortion.

It's just a tube
and slightly lossy.
Won't hurt a thing,
lessen it's bossy.
and screws up IMD and HMD.

RICK  *W3RSW*
KE6DF

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2008, 11:45:01 AM »

Maybe use it as a Christmas light. It's the season, after all.

WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2008, 11:54:50 AM »

I often see the same thing with the 6U8 as used in the Central Electronics 20A. The 6U8 and the 6EA8 are pin for pin, and almost identical tubes. I am currently using the 6MU8 with good success to replace the 6U8. The 6MU8 is also pin for pin except it uses a taller bulb, and the pentode portion has higher plate dissipation (a good thing). So if your 6EA8 is running pretty hard (hot), consider the 6MU8 swap after comparing device characteristics. The 6MU8 is readily available and is very cheap.

Jim
WD5JKO
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 12:11:32 PM »

For the umpteenth time, that blue glow does not indicate anything wrong with the tube.  This is commonly mistaken for a gassy tube, and has been the cause for many perfectly good tubes to be discarded.

If the tube is gassy, the blue glow will appear from the interior of the plate structure, around the grid(s).  In severe cases, the entire interior of the glass envelope will glow, just like with an 866A.

If the blue glow appears on the surface of the glass envelope, it is an indication of harmless impurities in the glass. 

Nearly all tubes have some electron leakage around the plate structure, and those stray electrons bombard the glass.  Sometimes, impurities will cause the glass to fluoresce, the same principle that makes the screen on a cathode ray tube or TV picture tube glow.

That same electron bombardment is what causes the brown streaks of "coffee stain" on the glass of transmitting tubes that have seen many hours of service.  Those tubes may still check out perfectly, but the stained glass tells you for sure they are heavily-used pulls, not new old stock or "slightly used". 

There is no reason to discard or change out a tube if the only questionable characteristic is a blue glow coming off the glass envelope.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1EUJ
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2008, 12:54:34 PM »

Thanks Don.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2008, 01:25:22 PM »

That's right!

I distinctly remember KT88's, 6550's, etc. glowing in audio service, sometimes seemingly depending on which way the amp was plugged in.   

Sometimes they glowed, sometimes they didn't.

Wasn't there an explanation for this?  Perhaps not how the plug was polarized, just a flip the coin glow or no-glow.   I swear it was almost a 50/50 observable phenomena.

Strange.
'dum de dum duhhm.'

RICK  *W3RSW*
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2008, 01:40:52 PM »

I still say that a lot of equipment runs low level tubes like the 6EA8/6U8 hot, especially with today's higher line voltage. When I see a 6EA8/6U8 glowing like that, failure is often near. Comparing this to a Power output tube like the 6550 is not comparing apples to apples. I've brought up the 6MU8 issue before and all sorts of folks got agitated. I thought this was a technical forum.

Jim
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2008, 02:23:14 PM »

If you really enjoy the glow, build a beautiful boatanchor, install some 866s, or better yet, 872s or 8008s, and STRAP!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2008, 03:39:52 PM »

The blue glow could signal a tube running @ too high plate voltage or pulling too high current, since either of those circumstances could increase the electron bombardment. If you suddenly notice the blue glow, it might not be a bad idea to check tube voltages Justin Case.  But if everything checks normal, I wouldn't worry about the blue glow.

You need to really worry when you see the blue glow and notice also that the tube plate is red hot or has red spots on it.  I have seen that combination when a tube loses bias or goes into the runaway mode.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W1EUJ
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2008, 03:56:42 PM »

If you really enjoy the glow, build a beautiful boatanchor, install some 866s, or better yet, 872s or 8008s, and STRAP!

I built a 872 nightlight in college, used it till it burned out. What a nice glow.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2008, 10:37:17 AM »

I've brought up the 6MU8 issue before and all sorts of folks got agitated. I thought this was a technical forum.

It is but sometimes we have a rough time taking ourselves seriously  Grin
  And it's funny what some half-banked memories or thoughts do generate on this board.  Then we get 'calibrated' in a hurry, learn some history, 'hear' other stories and generally have fun.
Uh, Sorry for getting so preachy.

RICK  *W3RSW*
AF9J
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2008, 10:47:23 AM »

That's right!

I distinctly remember KT88's, 6550's, etc. glowing in audio service, sometimes seemingly depending on which way the amp was plugged in.   

Sometimes they glowed, sometimes they didn't.

Wasn't there an explanation for this?  Perhaps not how the plug was polarized, just a flip the coin glow or no-glow.   I swear it was almost a 50/50 observable phenomena.

Strange.
'dum de dum duhhm.'

Yuppers,

Somebody had this very same question (with photos provided) on the Harmony Central Guitar Amps forum.  He was concerned because the new 6L6 power tubes he'd put in his guitar amp, were glowing blue, which he'd never seen happen before.  After discusion of the issue (including some from electronics techs with tube experience), the same thing things that Don mentioned were bought up - glowing blue tubes are not necessarily bad, and due to the hot biasing in some guitar amps, are pretty common.

Elen - AF9J   
WQ9E

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2008, 01:03:05 PM »

I often see the same thing with the 6U8 as used in the Central Electronics 20A.
Jim
WD5JKO

Jim,

You make a good point in that the small bulb size of miniature tubes does increase the heat; for example the 6AQ5 is basically a 6V6 in a miniature package and run close to 6V6 ratings it gets plenty hot.  In theory, better metallurgy and construction techniques that evolved over time should allow little tubes to run OK under those conditions.  As a small data point I have replaced a lot of 6AQ5 tubes that were weak, gassy, or had secondary emission.  I think the only 6V6 I have replaced in the numerous radios I have restored was still working but it seemed to have a small subsonic oscillation that caused little blue dots to appear on the envelope at a 1 CPS rate.  It was cute but I didn't want to risk the associated components in my Halli receiver.  It is sitting on a shelf in case it is needed as a ballast tube replacement for my NC-400.

As to the CE-20A, do you seem to have plenty of drive from the 9 Mhz. oscillator?  I assume you are referring to 6U8 used as the master oscillator and it depends upon grid bias developed by the 9 mhz xtal so if your oscillation is weak it may be running with low bias. 

Best wishes,
Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
WZ1M

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2008, 01:19:11 PM »

How can you tell if a 6L6 is glowing blue, xray vision?
Gary
W1EUJ
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2008, 01:23:28 PM »

6L6GT?
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2008, 04:39:13 PM »

I have a Crosley that I was replacing the audio output tubes in. They are 6K6GTs. Iwas trying to find which pair of tubes out of the 8 that I had would have the most output. The old tubes that were in it did have the bklue glow inside the plate and had very low and distorted output. I put a Sylvania tube in there and it glowed blue on the glass but would stop if you gently hit the envelope with your finger, then it would stop glowing. It would start again if you turned it off and then back on.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
AF9J
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2008, 04:50:18 PM »

Gary

Oops!  Sorry, I should have said 6L6GT, which is very commonly used in guitar amps.

Ellen - AF9J
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

try exploring the area of the glow with a NE-2 neon held by the leads ... of course, don't do this in a way that could shock you .... if the neon should glow, sounds like some rf may be gettin' made, whether or not it is supposed to .... 73 ...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2008, 07:20:08 PM »

Gary

Oops!  Sorry, I should have said 6L6GT, which is very commonly used in guitar amps.

Audiophools swear that glass 6L6's sound better than metal ones.  Actually, the original version that came out in the 30's was the metal type.  The glass version is a Johnny-come-lately.

I don't think there was ever such a thing as a 6L6GT. The original glass version with the shouldered envelope carried the -G suffix.  The later models with the straight sided glass envelope carry suffixes like -GB, -GC, etc.  -GT tubes are the smaller straight sided octals used for low level receiving applications (e.g. 6SQ7GT), and lower power audio applications (e.g. the 6V6GT and 6F6GT).

I never could tell any difference between a good glass tube and a good metal one.  But then, my ears never could tell the subtle differences between a speaker wired with heavy gauge zip cord and one wired with Monster Cable, either. Roll Eyes

- - -
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 08:53:22 PM »

Tubes with a GT suffix usually have a plastic(or most likely, bakelite) sleeve around the base. Most glass 6L6s I've seen are labeled as 6L6GCs. But to me, the metal 6L6s look taller than the glass ones.
Shekby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015