The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Would you kill to shop at WalMart?  (Read 29202 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2008, 02:29:51 PM »

Since retailers are taxed on inventory, more discounts won't happen until between Xmas and the end of the year when retailers will want to lower their inventory as much as possible.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2008, 02:34:15 PM »

Since retailers are taxed on inventory, more discounts won't happen until between Xmas and the end of the year when retailers will want to lower their inventory as much as possible.

Yep, if you're smart, that's the way you run it. Move as much as you can out before 12/31.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
WA1GFZ

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2008, 05:36:24 PM »

Hey Bob,
Colchester has the best gas prices this weekend. Even the old rip off Sunoco was cheap. It must have reopened under a new manager.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2008, 07:03:13 PM »

Black Friday incidents have been happening for decades. This is nothing new.
n1ipa
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2008, 07:14:39 PM »

I don't shop at Junk Mart at all,  the have been and still are the down fall of this country in the retail markets.
Much of there stuff is not of the great quality, and if you tried to return it, how long will you stand in line because there is not enough help, but they want more people to shop there. HMMMMM
Now this thing about BLACK FRIDAY, if alot of these stores are working in the red the rest of the year, I don't see how they can make a profit to survive that time frame I have to make money all year to be able to operate things.
Now things are bad when people think that the biggest and most costly item is a great Christmas present,  WRONG,  Some thing built by hand is great, also something that is needed for every day living is a good item, not something that they can just sit and watch these stupid ball games, just imagine what it used to be like before the greedy people had to have there ad's on TV every ten minutes to try to brain wash folks to buy there product.  
With stores opening up that time of day so that someone can get a item is total foolishness.  if the store opens at 1:00am or 8:00am it will still be there, even with the 7 hours later.  HMMMMM
What has this country come to?  
GREED GREED GREED.

Greed is going to be the death of things to come.
The story of greed is the bonuses that have to be paid to the CEO's os companies that don't do much for what They get.  
Lets bring back the old time christmas of simple gifts and family.  
enough on this.

Jim
KA1ZGC
« Reply #30 on: November 30, 2008, 08:03:38 PM »

Time to reinvent Christmas.

Christmas was reinvented years ago, and the Wal-Mart thing is the result.  Time to restore Christmas.

How many people even think Christmas is a religious holiday anymore?

All those hypersensitive whimps who've successfully had any mention of "Christmas" banned from their cities' holiday celebrations, their kids' schools, you name it. The claim is always that even the mention of the word "Christmas" offends them so deeply that it must be wiped from the face of the Earth so it doesn't offend them.

When the next revolution comes around, these idiots had better be the first ones against the wall.
N2udf
« Reply #31 on: November 30, 2008, 08:20:54 PM »

Forget the baby formula,I need that 42" HDTV to watch the NFL.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2008, 09:35:58 PM »

I don't shop at Junk Mart at all,  the have been and still are the down fall of this country in the retail markets.
Much of there stuff is not of the great quality, and if you tried to return it, how long will you stand in line because there is not enough help, but they want more people to shop there. HMMMMM
Now this thing about BLACK FRIDAY, if alot of these stores are working in the red the rest of the year, I don't see how they can make a profit to survive that time frame I have to make money all year to be able to operate things.
Now things are bad when people think that the biggest and most costly item is a great Christmas present,  WRONG,  Some thing built by hand is great, also something that is needed for every day living is a good item, not something that they can just sit and watch these stupid ball games, just imagine what it used to be like before the greedy people had to have there ad's on TV every ten minutes to try to brain wash folks to buy there product. 
With stores opening up that time of day so that someone can get a item is total foolishness.  if the store opens at 1:00am or 8:00am it will still be there, even with the 7 hours later.  HMMMMM
What has this country come to? 
GREED GREED GREED.

Greed is going to be the death of things to come.
The story of greed is the bonuses that have to be paid to the CEO's os companies that don't do much for what They get. 
Lets bring back the old time christmas of simple gifts and family. 
enough on this.

Jim

No one is forcing you not to have an "old time Christmas of simple gifts and family". This is America. We each can  spend the holidays anyway we chose. Football games, shop till you drop, baking 50 pounds of Xmas cookies, spending Xmas eve on 75M AM, etc. are all fair game.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2008, 09:37:32 PM »

we do Christmas the old fashioned way. The emphasis is not on money (or credit) spent. We also keep it simple by drawing names, you need only goive the person who's name you get, a present of some kind. everyone turns in a wish list, but no one expects to get all of it, or even more than one thing. No list, well. that's not so bad either, because whatever it is is thoughtful. Ya get one thing.. I got a pound of radio solder a few years ago. very nice! (and I had an excuse to go to the radios to "try it out") Geez now I want some spiked egg nog.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #34 on: December 01, 2008, 06:14:13 AM »

No one is forcing you not to have an "old time Christmas of simple gifts and family". This is America. We each can  spend the holidays anyway we chose. Football games, shop till you drop, baking 50 pounds of Xmas cookies, spending Xmas eve on 75M AM, etc. are all fair game.

I guess that depends.  People have been programmed by mass media advertizing, that Not to give extravagant gifts for Christmas means you are cheap, evil scroogy, what ever.  I have problems when I tell the XYL that I don't want anything for Christmas but to be with the family and have a good time together.
The use of controlled popular opinion is more effective than legislation in getting a group to do something you want them to do.  Takes longer to kick in, but will be a permanent part of society when it does.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
WA1GFZ

« Reply #35 on: December 01, 2008, 09:45:24 AM »

popular opinion....as a child of the 60s that means bull crap to me.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #36 on: December 01, 2008, 10:27:29 AM »

Beware: six tricks to get you spending

Frequently seen too-good-to-be-true tactics

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W8EJO

« Reply #37 on: December 01, 2008, 01:17:19 PM »

The Personal Property tax on business inventories is, in nearly all states, based on average inventory throughout the year, not simply year-end inventory values. You add together all the month-end inventory amounts, Jan - Dec, & compute an average on which you pay tax. 

Terry, W8EJO

Freedom and liberty - extremist ideas since 1776.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #38 on: December 01, 2008, 02:20:14 PM »

Children of the 60's are the biggest followers of popular opinion.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #39 on: December 01, 2008, 11:34:26 PM »

I was born in '60 and could not care less about what is popular. Alot of it is ignorant. Lots of parrotting, few original thoughts. Like a bunch of flightless fowl gabbling in a pen. Oh, sorry, that would be the TV room in today's parlance. I don't believe I have turned on a TV in 2 weeks other than for 10 minutes to see the weather on a local channel as I dress for work. I hope it snows in Texas for Christmas.

AMroo
« Reply #40 on: December 02, 2008, 03:42:24 AM »

Disagree, was there in the sixties and we were in control now the kids are taught what sport shoes to ear and what clothes and what music to listen to by corporate bodies that invent such things for profit.
They are also taught that if they dont they are crap and they respond in droves.

Tom WA3KLR
Contributing

« Reply #41 on: December 02, 2008, 09:22:38 AM »

Yet another unfortunate casualty of Black Friday:

From The Intelligencer (Doylestown, PA) Tuesday, December 02, 2008, front page.

Long workday ends with death

Police said the victim of a fatal crash likely fell asleep on his way home from working at Best Buy on Black Friday.

By Lindsay Redding, Staff Writer

Police believe a 25-year-old man killed in a car crash on Route 309 Friday evening fell asleep on his way home after his Black Friday shift at Best Buy in Montgomeryville, where he had started work at 3 a.m. that morning.  Ivan Talavera was driving home to Allentown when he crashed at 5:50 p.m. on Route 309 in Quakertown, police say.

“It’s safe to assume he probably fell asleep, but there’s no way for us to verify it at this point,” said Quakertown police Detective Donald Bender.

Police are still waiting for autopsy and toxicology reports to determine for certain what caused Talavera to cross into the lane of oncoming traffic, sideswipe a car driven by Daniel Neary, 41, of Sellersville and crash head-on into a car driven by Michael Neal, 43 of Hatfield.”

The article goes on.

73 de Tom WA3KLR  AMI # 77   Amplitude Modulation - a force Now and for the Future!
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #42 on: December 02, 2008, 09:47:12 AM »

* 63917cartman_on_hippiesJPG.jpg (13.9 KB, 442x298 - viewed 390 times.)

What? Me worry?
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #43 on: December 02, 2008, 10:39:37 AM »

It is children of the sixties (so called, since most were actually born in the 50s) that created and participate in Black Friday. They are, in large part, creators and followers of popular opinion. Simple demographics show this and to argue against it is to disengage from reality.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2008, 01:06:03 PM »

ah to be disengaged from reality
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2008, 01:11:41 PM »

Funny, but I heard a University Prof telling a student that "we don't call them 'mentally ill' anymore, it's nicer to say that they are 'disconnected from reality'"   

This politically correct crap has got to stop.

back on topic, I hope that fella's family Sues Walmart So hard the CHINESE can feel it....

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2008, 01:24:59 PM »

This politically correct crap has got to stop.

Amen to that.  Have you ever noticed, however, that the PC stuff is all in one direction?  Nobody cares if you offend the majority!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
W1UJR
« Reply #47 on: December 02, 2008, 01:33:49 PM »

Amen to that.  Have you ever noticed, however, that the PC stuff is all in one direction?  Nobody cares if you offend the majority!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Intolerance will not be tolerated...
Or this timeless classic..."Celebrate Diversity" (as long as its is the right "kind" of diversity).

It's called the "Tyranny Of The Minority", where those in self identified minority groups are accorded "special rights".
Like so called "Hate Crime" laws, they only protect a certain class, the majority of citizens are not afforded their persecution protection.

WA1GFZ

« Reply #48 on: December 02, 2008, 02:10:52 PM »

I'd make a comment but the thought police would delete me.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2008, 12:21:32 AM »

It is children of the sixties (so called, since most were actually born in the 50s) that created and participate in Black Friday. They are, in large part, creators and followers of popular opinion. Simple demographics show this and to argue against it is to disengage from reality.

You have clarified sir,.. There is a range of dates during which (admittedly most) others might have more readily gotten into being dedicated followers of fashion.. Those folks might be in their mid to late 50's now. The progeny of some of them chases the same sort of paradigm and Granddad spoils the grandspawn as rotten as the parents do.

Anyway I must recuse myself from inclusion in your grouping claim and I imagine other might also.

As far as political correctness, I'm always amused at the 'majority' who shame themselves and beat their breasts apologetically, treading on egshells, whenever a historical event is discussed. It's ridiculous. I never did any of those things nor did my known ancestors in recorded history (unless one wants to complain about how the Polish army terrorized Europe in the 1400's), so how could I ever have a penitent attitude about it or any other activities I didn't participate in? PC is slow death to freedom.

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015