The AM Forum
May 12, 2024, 10:46:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: dynamotor reference for experimenters  (Read 5177 times)
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« on: August 16, 2009, 10:39:59 PM »

ahh yes I am sure everyone has been waiting for this..

Ther's ker-chunk, but what then? It should be followed by the dynamotor spinning up.

And here is some research so far into the various common dynamotors and what they go to, what I/O they use, etc. Today there is no more comprehensive list focused exclusively on dynamotors (including the few hand cranked generators as well).

* DynaMotorList_20090816.pdf (39.54 KB - downloaded 4537 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 11:29:32 PM »

I'm a dynamotor freak and I liked this and saved a copy. I see their value has risen in the past five years. The  Hertner Corporation of Cleavland Ohio was still making specialty dynamotors into the mid seventies. That company is now owned by EnerSys,and is possibly the worlds largest manufacture of industrial lead acid batteries.  There is still a company that make rotary invertors out there for 12 & 24 volt operation,output, 120 volt 60 cps. They are know as Redi Line.

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2009, 11:42:10 PM »

I'm glad someone shares my appreciation of them. I wish I had not sold my 27.5V to 3-phase 400Hz 1KVA unit. But the OM needed it for a piece of gear he already had so that was more important than me having it to look at. I have a few 6V ones. Carters.. from the old 2 way rigs. They did not get on the list this time.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
ka3zlr
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 07:45:17 AM »

Definite material for archiving Thanks Op Smiley
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 08:19:28 AM »

I have got to share this. It's a case of missing the mother lode of dynamotors. I was at a ham fest and it was the first year it was held at Rochester, NH. There sitting on the ground was a dynamotor set on the same chassis, both identical, rated at 2000 vdc .500 ma each. All black wrinkle   finish, new old stock. I never bothered to ask what the young guy wanted for them and I don't know what they were for. I'm still wondering about them so if you were the owner and read this, please bring me up to date  Grin Grin

I often thought of the mobile rig you could make with this set. Perhaps 2 813's X 2 813's. I can see the front bumper of your car hitting the highway every time you keyed the dynamotors  Grin Grin Grin 

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W4EWH

« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 02:37:34 PM »

I used to repair GE pre-Progress Line transmitters, right after I came home from Vietnam in 1972. I once asked a State Trooper why the "ten code" was used, and said that the "ten" was pointless since it never changed. The Trooper smiled, and said "think about that for a while" and got in the unit and drove away.

W1AC

Life's too short for plastic radios.  Wallow in the hollow! - KD1SH
W9GT

Nipper - Manager of K9 Affairs

« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 03:07:09 PM »

I used to repair GE pre-Progress Line transmitters, right after I came home from Vietnam in 1972. I once asked a State Trooper why the "ten code" was used, and said that the "ten" was pointless since it never changed. The Trooper smiled, and said "think about that for a while" and got in the unit and drove away.

W1AC

IIRC GE was the last to get rid of dynamotors in their mobile rigs.  I remember going to a mobile radio seminar in the late 70's and they were joking about that fact.  The darn things worked, but sure drew a lot of current! 

Then of course...hasn't everyone heard the story about the mobile installer that put a dynamotor rig ( I think it was a Pre-Prog GE) in a police car's trunk and drilled into the gas tank when mounting it to the trunk floor.  Later....the cops keyed-up the rig to transmit and blew the back off the cop car!!  No one was hurt, but the car was history.  That had to have been expensive for the mobile shop!

73,  Jack, W9GT

Tubes and Black Wrinkle Rule!!
73, Jack, W9GT
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 10:35:10 PM »

I use them in a few stock mil radios here, BC-348, BC-652, ARC-2 and I just repacked and cleaned a ham modified PE-101 and it works great. But honestly, some dynamotors will drive you right out of the shack. The ARC-2 and especially the T-195 are infamous.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2009, 12:06:58 AM »

While not a dynamotor, I have the triple unit motor-generator from a Westinghouse WW2 TBL series transmitter.  Has a 3ph 440 V motor driving a 2kV@1A generator and a 1kV@.5A plus filament current output.  All in all, it is pretty quiet mechanically but the RF filters are very important if you want to run anything with it.  About 5' across the bedplate, about 450 lbs.  I doubt it would be classed as portable. Wink

Just pacing the Farady cage...
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2009, 01:40:27 PM »

The only place the one for the ATC/ART-13 belongs is in a 4 engine bomber! It will take that much to drown out the noise.

Carl
KM1H
WB2EMS
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 04:14:16 PM »

My first VHF mobile rig was a motorola 80-D with a dynamotor and a 2E26 final. I think it made a grand total of about 6 watts out and the dynamotor was rated at 35 amps in at 12 volts. In my 283 Chevy impala, with my foot resting lightly on the gas at 65 mph, I could key the rig and watch the speedo drop about 3 mph, and then creep back up when I'd unkey. Fun!  Grin

73 de Kevin, WB2EMS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015