The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 03:59:31 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: KA1KAQ/4  (Read 6817 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: November 20, 2008, 01:25:58 PM »

Finally found a few minutes to log onto here. Been busier than a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest. I hate moving. Really. 

Only arrived here a week ago and have been unpacking boxes since. Brought the final (for now) load of stuff down in late October, used the big lift gate truck to move the 300G down and had to drive it back to VT, through snow in the Poconos and a near Blizzard on I-88 east of Binghamton. What....fun. Spent a week or so putting the VT house to sleep (storms on, pipes drained, etc), stayed with my folks during that time and enjoyed listening to Steve 'HUZ, Ralphie 'GL, and John 'JN some evenings via an old tube Norelco bedside radio that mom says I gave her but I have no memory of.

If there's any doubt that I'm in NC, just check the wx. Tornadoes last weekend, snow 2 days ago. Yeah.

Did get a couple receivers hooked up down here. First station heard last week was 'QIX, appropriate since the SP-600 was sporting an aerial made of 3 clip leads. Coming in great midday. Yesterday afternoon the R-390A made it back online with about 20' of coiled wire on the floor, heard Karl KD3CN talking with Bill 'DUQ warming up for the SSB net on 33, then tuned down to 25 and heard Al VE3AJM's big signal coming in strong. So Tim/VE6PG, if you're reading this - looks like we should be able to make the trip.

Most of the house stuff (dishes, appliances, clothing) is unpacked and organized. Still a few things to installed like the all-important coffee grinder for caffeine fixes, then it's on to garage #2 which became temp storage, then garage #3 across the driveway where the transmitters currently reside. Jen's dad is visiting next week for Turkey day, so it looks like ant work will wait until the following week. Looks like feedlines will fall on the wrong side of the driveway, so it'll take some cypherin' to get back on the air beyond 40m.

Thanks for all the calls and emails with good wishes. Yes, it's clear to me now that I have too much stuff, still. Craigslist and I are soon to become good friends. Anybody need 4 BMW alloy wheels? How about 4 pos Audi wheels? A pair of antique gingerbread style chairs? Tupperware? ...

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2008, 01:58:42 PM »

Great to hear from you Todd. Moving is a PIA. I've done it twice in the last 6 years. Let me know if you need some help. I need an excuse for a road trip.
KA8WTK
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 06:07:27 PM »

Good to hear from ya Todd!
Glad that you got the move done and you are safe and sound.

Bill KA8WTK

Bill KA8WTK
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 06:54:01 PM »

I was wondering what happened to you OM!  Glad you made it safe 'n' sound.  Look forward to hearing yo bad self on the air soon.

As for me I'm (not) looking forward to an overseas move to SV0 next year Undecided

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2008, 07:20:22 PM »

Hay Todd,

Glad to see you back here! Dose the new refrigerator fit? I know, another work in progress.

You'll be going through the "What box did I pack that in" syndrome for some time I suspect. I last (and I emphasize the word LAST) time I moved, it was two years before I found the clamp that holds my boom light to the operating table. Your probably better organized than me. Good to see ya.

Mike
Tom W2ILA

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2008, 08:12:28 PM »

QSL
good luck in the contest
ILA
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2008, 08:41:27 PM »

Hey Todd,
Good to hear from you. Any spare KWM380s
W2JBL

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 12:12:08 AM »

Hi Todd! moved up here to Brewster NY back in April, and finally got down to unpacking the last few boxes of stuff tonight. what a pain in the rear...hope to hear you on again soon, and good luck at your new diggs.
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 09:32:07 AM »

Todd ... where are you in NC ?.... ifn you get over this way (east TN ) pop in for eyeball qso ...73...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:57:26 AM »

Todd:

Good to hear from you.

Good luck in settling down.

Dan
W1DAN
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 02:16:13 PM »

Hope to hear you on the air soon.  You should strap into middle TN now from the new location.

Hope the KW-1 mod transformer made this trip better than last one.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1ATR
Resident HVAC junkie

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2008, 09:47:16 AM »

Hey Todd, good to hear from ya. Hopefully the move went smoothly.

Lemmee know when your ready to do up the super fridge. I have a spare 200hp radial compressor we could use to cool the fridge and as a side benefit, put a foot of snow all around the property in less than an hour. Wouldn't want you to get home sick.

J

Don't start nuthin, there won't be nuthin.

Jared W1ATR

Click for radio pix
K5MO
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2008, 07:34:13 PM »

Welcome to NC (never mind the tornadoes , they're just a warm up for the summer hurricanes).  Where in NC are you?

John K5MO
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 09:14:41 PM »

Hey Todd,

Great to see you are settling in.

Looking forward to working you from the new QTH and hopefully we can get together during one of my trips down there.

Best to you and the XYL

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2008, 11:05:11 PM »

Hey Toddy, we miss you...

Did the wife receive her flowers?

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »

Hey Toddy, we miss you...

Did the wife receive her flowers?

Aw, thanks Ralphie - it's nice to be missed, especially by a landmark such as yourself! Heard you on a few times from the folks' place, but not down here (yet). Yes, Jen got the posies, tnx again for helping me out at the last minute. Never realized just how much I took my T1 line for granted 'til it was gone.

Boatscape John and Beefus John: I'm north of Raleigh 25 miles or so in the SW corner of Franklinton, about midway between the town proper and Creedmore downtown. John/'MO - Nick and John 'OZY mentioned hauling you over in September for load #2 but that you had to work or were otherwise-occupied that weekend. Looking forward to meeting you soon. They tell me you like HB gear?

Frank, you should've snapped up the '380 when it was still broken. Someone just listed one online recently for *cough* $4K...

Tom/'ILA: I dropped that 80m coil roller with Brown or someone at Deerfield, hope it found its way to you. You are 5-9, 59 OM. Please repeat your location, name, etc.

As far as the Big Fridge goes, it's still sitting in garage #2 awaiting the reattachment of its doors. It doesn't appear that there's an opening tall enough to admit it into the house anyhow...yet. I also left the compressor for it up north, ran outta room in the truck. I'll get a shot of it once it's cleaned up. No need for the snow maker, Jared - we got another 'blizzard' (translation: inch or so) on Friday. But there's a monster AC/Heating unit out back that you'd get a kick outta. Carrier 48N.

The KW-1 and 300G are both still wrapped up in blankets, haven't even had time to unwrap them yet muchless power them up. But yes Don - no rattles or chunks of cast iron floating around. You need the pros at FedHex for that.

As for me I'm (not) looking forward to an overseas move to SV0 next year Undecided

Approximately when will we be losing your wit and strapping signal, John? Maybe the new boss'll take a liking to ya and wanna keep you around?  Grin Either way, we definitely wanna get you down here soon. Steve too, Carl, and anyone else traveling to Raleigh for business or just passing through. Stop by and witness for yourself that it really is possible to get 10 pounds of....crap into a 5 pound bag. Isn't easy, but it can be done!   Wink

Thanks again for the good wishes. It'll be a few days before any RF is coming from here, but the receiver is on from time to time. Hearing signals as far north as 'QIX and 'JBL on the inside antenna. Not as fun as being on the air with you, but still better than a kick in the ass.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015