The AM Forum
May 21, 2024, 02:55:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Daytime 75m AM activity outside the "window"  (Read 2824 times)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« on: November 19, 2008, 02:24:31 PM »

Right now (1915 GMT) I am hearing weak AM signals on 3855, 3870 and 3880 kHz.  I regularly hear weak daytime activity between 3600 and 3750 as well, but usually signals are not good enough for comfortable listening at this location, so I don't try to join in.  Apparently these QSO's are between stations fairly close together, within good daytime coverage range of each other.

Now, if everyone wouldn't cluster into the Ghetto after sundown, we could generate a lot more AM presence on the band throughout the evening.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA5VQM
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 04:03:09 PM »

I hear ya' about the nighttime conditions. I tuned around 3700 +/- 50 quite a bit last night but the only AM activity I heard was you in the ghetto full-strap into Dallas.  I would have tried to give you a shout but unfortunately a neighbor about a quarter mile away was running some sort of Ecomm net about 5-10 khz down. I chose not to annoy him until he finished but by then the band was changing, I couldn't hear who you were talking to, and figured my little Ranger wasn't gonna cut through the QRM by then anyhow. I did hear Mark in UT occasionally through the racket. Such is life in the ghetto.

73, Mark
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2008, 04:35:39 AM »

Tonight at about 0400 GMT I called CQ on 3720 and got the usual reply from a ricebox op trying his rig out on AM for the first time.  He sounded good, but it turns out he also has an Apache with modified audio that he normally uses for AM, so he put it on, and the audio was surprisingly good, almost indistinguishable from the ricebox.  I was getting drowsy so I signed out with him, and right away another station called me, also using a ricebox on AM, but he said he was working on his plate modulated rig and hoped to have it on the air in a few days.  When I signed with him, Tom W4UOC in Atlanta called me and we chatted for a while. He usually runs a plate modulated rig, but this time he, too, was using a ricebox on AM.  I ended up spending almost 2 hours working AM on 3720.  No slopbucket QRM at all; in fact no other audible station for +/- 30 kHz.  By then I had caught my second wind, no longer sleepy.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA5VQM
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2008, 08:35:16 AM »

Just my luck, I shut down about 0345Z. Did hear WA1QIX up in the ghetto earlier who was quite busy with a near- pileup calling him. I couldn't hear the others but from what he said most seemed to be running Rangers with amps. I gave a couple of tries without success. He wasn't very strong into Dallas so I was probably in the noise (I think next summer's project needs to be an amp). The band seemed quieter as the night went on.

Interesting so many running riceboxes on AM also have big rig projects in the works. A good sign.

I think I'll keep fishing around the 3700 area and eventually something will strike. Hope to meet you on-air soon.

73, Mark
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 07:34:00 PM »

The highest I ever found another AMer was up on 3900 during the PA QSO party when that was the only clear spot I could kind. I called CQ and managed to raise a PW station somewhere in NY running  an SDR rig. Then they dissappeared after I got too long winded.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 08:01:53 AM »

On a quite regular basis, there is AM activity between 3880-3885 *ALL DAY* most weekdays (and weekends, too!).

There is the New England group that is there most of the day... then I hear the W8s and W9s (weakly, but copyable) during the day as well.  Sometimes, I hear some W3s and W4s too.

But, consistantly, there are AM QSOs all day long.

I overheard one slop-bucket tell another who was complaining about the AM QSO on 3875 "You know, there is AM activity up there (on '85) all day long every day.  Don't those people ever go to work?  I mean, they're there all the time just occupying the frequency."  I thought that was funny, but most of these folks are retired.

Anyway, there sure is a lot of daytime activity around 75 meters on AM.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 09:07:52 AM »

Then there's the "Old Buzzards Net"  on 3945kc every day.... (maybe not weekends..)

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015