The AM Forum
April 30, 2024, 12:41:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on Wrinkle Paint My Turn...  (Read 5933 times)
ka3zlr
« on: November 24, 2008, 07:50:27 PM »

Good Day All,

I searched the archives, is there any issues with using the Automotive Green Etching Epoxy primer with the Harley Wrinkle paint, or has anyone had any issues..?

Or don't prime at all...for best effect..... base metal is all Aluminum structure and panels...

Much obliged...

Jack.

Mike/W8BAC
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2008, 08:10:01 PM »

You didn't say if the panels are new or if your doing a repaint.

If it's new panels than the primer is a good idea. I don't have any idea if the color coat will lift the primer coat but a small test piece will tell. Good luck and let us know.

Mike
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2008, 08:17:28 PM »

Hi Mike,

No it's all new construction, I should have stated that but, the primer is a Two part system I've used on machinery I've painted, Once mixed "must Spray" and it dries like cement...it's good stuff...I just don't know how it will react with the harley wrinkle,...or if it will...react...I hate to waste the mix...Schtuff is expensive...

Appreciate the help...

Jack

AB3L
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 08:29:41 PM »

Jack,
We used the Harley paint on the cylinders and heads back in the 70's. No primer, sandblasted the surfaces, heated the items in the oven and then hit it with the paint. We got a real nice wrinkle that way.
That was then, the paint might be different now. Maybe you should ask the shop how they use it or how it is intended to be used. It would be a lot of clean up time if the paint reacted adversely to the primer.

A powdercoat looks nice when done right and provides a tough finish.
KL7OF

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:56:42 PM »

I have had very good results using NOTHING under wrinkle finishes on both alum and steel........Clean to bare metal, scotch brite finish on the surface, clean with a hot solvent., preheat and paint with harley or krylon wrinkle finish and use heat to obtain desired wrinkles... keep it simple...I have aluminum panels that were painted with krylon wrinkle 10 yrs ago that still look new.......
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »

Ive never seen a primer used with wrinkle paint, it defeats the process.

Carl
KM1H
KC4VWU

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »

I agree. Rough the base metal to provide maximum adhesion and bake it at a low temp. I've used a heat gun, incandescent bulbs, kerosun heater,natural heat of the sun, etc. It just depends on the amount of wrinkle effect needed. In my experience, a primer coat just doesn't let the metal warm the paint which, I think, gives a better appearance than trying to heat the paint directly. Plus, I don't think it lets the wrinkle coat adhere as well. Spray it as directed and sit it on top of a kerosun heater until you just start to see the wrinkle effect; don't let it get too hot and scorch. Immediately remove it with some sort of fixture (have this ready beforehand) and set it to the side; the heated metal will do the rest very well.
KC4VWU
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:41:21 AM »

OK, Much Obliged, my habit is always prime before paint, so, I will go with what is suggested thanks alot...

Jack

WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 08:24:38 AM »

paint doesn't like to really stick to aluminum... I'd prime it The two part primers will have zero VOC and so will look inert to a second coat, unlike older primers that had residual solvents and so reacted with whatever went over it unless it was oven dried or months old (unless they were from the same mfr, same paint type).

Or you can go with a chromate/alodyne process first...

my 2 cents...

oh you might not find out how bad the paint adhesion is until some time later...

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2008, 07:31:10 PM »

Thanks Bear...I've settled with trying two uprights both ways and then go for the better Buzzardly look.... Smiley

Much Obliged everyone...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015