The AM Forum
May 08, 2024, 06:35:18 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Suggestions for a Knight T-60  (Read 9469 times)
KI4ES
« on: November 19, 2008, 03:14:49 PM »

New to the forum per suggestion of WB4BFS.  I am planning on restoring a Knight T-60 as a project this winter.  Besides the obvious things like repacing the caps, selenium rectifiers, cleaning the switches, etc., are there any other things I should look out for?  Also are their any mods or updates floating around that may be worthwhile?

TNX de KI4ES
WB2YGF
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2008, 03:31:51 PM »

I am pretty new to this forum too, but like any forum, the first thing I would do is use the search feature.  There are quite a few posts that come up searching on "T-60"
W1EUJ
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2008, 03:44:31 PM »

Suggestions for a Knight T-60...

Dump it in the trash.

Some things are best forgotten.
Knightt150
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2008, 04:02:22 PM »

Last year I completely rebuilt and restored a KNIGHT T60 it worked great and sounded very good, the modulated carrier on the scope looked perfect. I do not know of any mods for the rig. I have had a lot of fun restoring the radio and using it, to realy do any good you need a amp between the 60 and the antenna.

I am looking for a perfect front panel or someone to do a refinish on it, I did take the meter sensitivity switch and use onehalf for output and the other for plate current reads through the meter.
KI4ES
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2008, 04:41:06 PM »

Thanks to all.  I'm a bit of a masochist as my 1st rig was an Elmac AF-67 that I worked on more than I worked, but wish I'd never sold.  I have found that it is easier for a duffer like me to play around with the cheap stuff than to hose up a Collins or something else that nice.  I did do a search on the threads and noticed a reference to someone doing a similar mod to the modulation as has been done on a DX-60.  I'll investigate that further.

Anyway, thanks for the input and if I end up catapulting it into the trash, I don't have much in it anway.

Jerry
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2008, 05:58:13 PM »

Here's some input from e-ham:
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/5970
Lots of them still out there and not a bad CW rig.

Here's a cool setup:

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2008, 06:27:11 PM »

Hi Jerry ... did see one article in ER ... think he added 160 mtrs ... I'll keep an eye out ...73 ...John

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
W1EUJ
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2008, 08:03:15 PM »

On that DX-60 point...it makes a good platform for any number of mods, new modulation schemes, etc. It has a dependable design with TONS of room for your changes. Built-in low-pass filter. Accepts TWO types of crystals or a VFO. You can throw it on an amp and have at it. Money spent on a DX-60 as a starter/educational rig is well spent. Only fault is the HV burning issue with the switch wafer. The PTT mod is a good first to learn how to do mods...

Also, 6146 final. Soooo easy to find those 6146s. This is also one of the good things about the HW-101; of that generation and type of sideband rigs, this is one of the few you won't pay a silly amount for the finals for.
WB2YGF
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2008, 08:13:21 PM »

On that DX-60 point...it makes a good platform for any number of mods, new modulation schemes, etc. It has a dependable design with TONS of room for your changes. Built-in low-pass filter. Accepts TWO types of crystals or a VFO. You can throw it on an amp and have at it. Money spent on a DX-60 as a starter/educational rig is well spent. Only fault is the HV burning issue with the switch wafer. The PTT mod is a good first to learn how to do mods...
WOW.  I started out on 10M AM with a DX60 back about 1975.  The audio wasn't too hot and I just assumed there was nothing you could do about it, except get a "real" AM rig.  Never imagined it could be held in such high esteem.  Thanks for the heads-up.  I have a DX-60B in unknown operating condition.  May be worth looking into.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2008, 12:45:17 AM »

Hi Jerry ... did see one article in ER ... think he added 160 mtrs ... I'll keep an eye out ...73 ...John
Hi John,
I don't think it was ER-  I think it may have been my posting here

Check it out http://home.comcast.net/~chnord/T-160/T-160.htm
It was my summer project of plate modulating a T-60 and adding 160 mtrs.

I just added a fan to the top

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2008, 12:52:21 AM »

Last year I completely rebuilt and restored a KNIGHT T60 it worked great and sounded very good, the modulated carrier on the scope looked perfect. I do not know of any mods for the rig. I have had a lot of fun restoring the radio and using it, to realy do any good you need a amp between the 60 and the antenna.

I am looking for a perfect front panel or someone to do a refinish on it, I did take the meter sensitivity switch and use onehalf for output and the other for plate current reads through the meter.
I like that
How did you wire that up?
As set up the meter samples the RF out at the SO-239 and switches in and out a resistor to ground via a SPST switch.
Thanks
Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2008, 07:48:04 AM »

sorry about that , Carl ... I am getting too forgetful  ...uh, what were we talkin' about ? ...beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KI4ES
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2008, 08:16:25 PM »

Carl-

I read your web page at lunch today & was pretty impressive.  My main experience has been rebuilding an amp or two, fixing up a few old tube RX & TX and making some HB tube & SS gear over the years.  John said I could learn a lot on this site & was right.

For Knight T150-

I have been experimenting with a new method or restoring front panels.  John "Beefus" has seen my 1st effort.  It can be improved upon, but I'll get some photos of my 1st results together for you.

Thanks to all - Jerry
W5EFR
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »

Carl,

Very impressive modification... makes me want to pull my T-60 out and play with it again...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015