The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 02:29:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New PWM board set coming out - any last minute feature requests??  (Read 13351 times)
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #25 on: November 19, 2008, 09:22:30 PM »

Where is the USB input. Or Toslink? Or S/PDIF? I want to run digital right into my TX. I've modified all my rigs with RS-232 but I want to upgrade.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2008, 09:32:01 PM »

Steve,
A DSP could do all the audio processing and generate the PDM all in 1 part. So maybe an op amp at the input and mos driver at the output. Heck you could add a serial interface to say USB for SW upgrades. OR imagine a computer interface to a spectrum monitor with slders to taylor audio. Then imagine all the audio processing gear that could go on the scrap heap.
Getting even more nutty you could include an audio output to drive alalog gear. I bet the board size could remain the same.
I had a lot of fun playing with a DSP eval board when I started playing with SDR. You could have some real fun with the software.
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2008, 09:01:55 AM »

...I suggested the use of duals rather than a quad in any location... in the main because it permits the swapping of a very wide range of opamps... which may be of value off in the near future (or not).

_-_-bear

Well, I don't about 20 seconds :-)  The DIP has a HUGE installed base, and many are still in current production.  If some day everything has to go surface mount, then probably the way to go is a "built" board (like in a computer) and swap things out as a unit.

But, I think we're a ways away yet....

Tubes were essentially obsoleted in mainstream electronic equipment during the early '70s (actually, probably during the late '60s), but some 35 to 40 YEARS later, you can still buy tubes - and there are even certain specialty HIFI equipment builders who actually look for them  Grin

Steve,

I'm not trying to argue for the sake of arguing...

I'm not sure how a pair of DIP-8s side by side takes up that much more realestate than a single quad?? The comparison being valid between std size parts as well as between surface mount duals vs. quads...which is what I was getting at. Yeah you might need some jumpers to make the PS connections, if you need to, but beyond that, not many more pins or size?? I'm confused on this...

And, what is the need to make everything surface mount in the first place?
Why does it need to be "small"??

Perhaps because the parts are harder to find in large these days?
More expensive in large?
The board is more expensive in large?
All of the above?

Now, as far as tubes? Yeah, tubes were once ubiquitous, not not more!!

Try to find me a bunch of 6AQ8s today... for a simple example.

Now try to find me some 845 op amps. Not new ones but earlier pre ROHS production (the current production happens to be not so good and have noisy front ends for reasons that are unclear). Not quite so easy.

Just getting your hands on TTL chips can be a slight pain.

None of these technologies will absolutely become unavailable in our lifetimes, but they have become harder to find, so more expensive, and not as likely to be found residing in a parts drawer as they once were.

So, as I said, there were and are far more duals made than quads, making a swap out much more likely to happen out of the parts drawer in a pinch... or in the first place when building the board up virgin... that's all.

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
WA1GFZ

« Reply #28 on: November 20, 2008, 08:37:59 PM »

Bear there is still a lot of ttl around. Rochester Electronics for one.
But why bother when HC, AC or HCT is pin for pin and better specs. oh and a lot lower power.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2008, 11:44:32 AM »

Steve:

I see that some of my suggestions could cause a major re-draw of the PCB artwork. So maybe down the road.

I know your board will work great the way it is. This thread caused me to go to your web site after a long time away. Good updates.

Thanks for asking for suggestions...often people bringing up ideas can make a product better....until you need to shoot the engineers and build the darn thing!

Dan
W1DAN
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

Bear there is still a lot of ttl around. Rochester Electronics for one.
But why bother when HC, AC or HCT is pin for pin and better specs. oh and a lot lower power.

I know what I mean, but I guess it's not being understood as I expect?

What I am saying is that the older packages and older types no matter what the part is are fading into the sunset as we go along in time...

A better example is that some of the best low noise Toshiba FETs are no longer in production. So, if you wanted to do complementary discrete FETs in a new analog audio front end, you're SOL...

Looks to me like the "heyday" of ubiquitos parts availability is passing quickly, and we're moving quickly away from discrete parts being available and used at all, and those that are now being used are increasingly low voltage and low power, smaller and smaller SMT stuff... the fewer the number of years that a part is in production, the less likely it is that there will be sufficient "surplus" supplies for future years use... then as the availability goes away, the price of the remaining stocks go up and up... it seems to me that we've turned the corner on this part of the cycle and that prices of older stocks will go up and up from here on in, and availability will drop more and more.

But what do I know?  Roll Eyes

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015