The AM Forum
May 31, 2024, 12:03:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My Ranger I has issues and I'm out of duct tape!  (Read 3669 times)
N2IDU

« on: October 28, 2008, 01:07:18 PM »

I am currently working on a stock Ranger I which came without the factory installed PTT circuit. I have done the usual larger caps for the high and low votages, solid stated all supplies and built a power supply from the filaments to run a PTT relay circuit etc. The unit transmitts well on all bands and all switches function perfectly.

Now for the problem... I recently installed the PTT circuit in the key line as outlined in the "Timtron" mods. It works well in the phone position but when I switch the Xtal, VFO knob to the "Zero Beat" position it keys up the transmitter as if I keyed the mic in the phone position ??  When I disable the PTT circuit like when it was stock the zero beat works perfectly. I quickly checked the wiring on both the mode and xtal switches against the Johnson schematic but have found nothing which would explain it. I've done several PTT circuits on Rangers and have never had this happen. Every time I put the PTT back in the circuit the "zero beat" keys up the transmitter.

Anyone out there ever had  a similar problem?  Your ideas and cures would greaty be appreciated. I am using the duct tape to keep my head from exploding, so please hurry. Huh

Thanks,
Peter N2IDU Old Shincracker, Vt.

THIS WILL BE MY LAST TRANSMISSION !!
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2008, 04:38:06 PM »

Peter

I suggest that you check to see if the screen of the 6146 is really disconnected from the 30k ohm screen dropping resistor, and grounded... when your push-to-talk switch is in the standby position.

If it is not, the 6AQ5 clamp tube will (more or less) turn off the 6146 when the grid drive is absent... but when you apply RF to the grid of the 6146 (such as would happen when you switch to the "tune" position) the 6146 will produce full output.

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
N2IDU

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2008, 05:20:12 PM »

Hey Thanks Stu,

I will check that for sure.  However, it keys when the mode switch is in "Phone" position and then I  switch the VFO switch to "zero beat" position. In other words it transmits when in "zero beat" on the vfo xtal switch.  I hope I am explaining this correctly.

Regards,

Peter N2IDU

N2IDU

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 10:21:30 AM »

OK Stu

You hit the nail on the head the problem is solved thanks to you. Thanks so much for taking the time to help out It was greatly appreciated. No need for duct tape now.

Regards,

N2IDU Peter  "OLd Shincracker Vt.

AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2008, 11:36:04 AM »

Peter

You're welcome  Smiley

Best regards
Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015