The AM Forum
April 26, 2024, 10:29:17 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: For all of you spark fans  (Read 4211 times)
AF9J
« on: October 23, 2008, 07:46:55 PM »

A friend of mine sent me this link:

http://www.lakeerieba.com/HobartSparkXmtr/HobartSparkXmtr.htm

Basically, it's a recording made in 1938, of a spark transmitter in operation.  It's been put into an .mp3 file, so you can download it if you want to.  It's quite the trip.  There is vintage AM being done as a part of the spark transmitter test too, and even some old school CW.  The recording's only in so-so shape, but I did copy some of the spark transmission.  The transmitter hadn't been used in 17 years, and 2500V was going across the key during sending!!!  Yeow!!!

Ellen - AF9J
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2008, 08:07:48 PM »

Neat recording. I don't think I could listen to that spark note for long though. Very nasty and irritating to my ears. Kinda like fingernails on a chalkboard.
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 09:16:47 AM »

Yeah and verily!  It's really hard to listen to.  Because of the audio of the note, it's hard at tiimes to separate it from the noise.

Ellen - AF9J
Ralph W3GL
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 02:06:51 PM »

What you are hearing on that recording is not the "over the air" signal, just the buzzing of the spark its-self with the noise of the moter driving the rotary gap there in the shack!

The actual "radio signal" you would hear in a xtal receiver would be a varying buzz going up and down 30 or 40 cycles as the operator varied the foot driven rheostat.

Without that background noise it's not that hard to take, except that youse youngins ain't got the ears that we old crows had ...

Back in the day of spark, the ops listened to the buzz not a nice crisp "A above middle C" note and above! (440 cycles and up for the non-musical crowd...)

Oh yeah, there was still some spark on the Great Lakes in the late 30's early 40's...
Some of the non US carriers didn't go by the US rules and were somewhat slow
converting to the newfangled Vacuum tubes...

73,  Ralph  W3GL 

"Just because the microphone in front of you amplifies your voice around the world is no reason to think we have any more wisdom than we had when our voices could reach from one end of the bar to the other"     Ed Morrow
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015