The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 07:05:22 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TWP To Purchase W2VJZ Land  (Read 7225 times)
W2VW
Contributing

« on: October 07, 2008, 09:52:52 AM »

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080926/NEWS/809260327
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2008, 10:04:27 AM »

If the deal goes through, they should erect a plaque to acknowledge his AM radio activities.  That's what put the town on the map.  Without Irb's presence on the air,  this story would have been unknown, and of little interest, to anyone beyond the boundaries of the town.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2008, 10:12:06 AM »

thy'll need a bailout to do that, Don. Since everyone else is getting them, it should be no problem.
Blaine N1GTU
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »

I think they should build an empire on it.
they can create their own electricity by connecting generators to Irb as he spins in his grave
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2008, 10:01:23 PM »

Well, at least they won't be building a big arsed developement on it.
A bunch of Mc Mansions would really have Irb Spinning.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »

3.1 million

Seems it already was an empire....

Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2008, 11:46:22 PM »

Ummm, they are going to pay 3.1m to use Irbs land for hiking trails? Maybe for the first year or so, then it'll will be more urban ghettos.

I hope they put one of Irbs dixie 100's or at least an outside speaker on that monument....   
N2udf
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2008, 05:47:16 AM »

They should name it "constitutional park" with statues of Jesus and Jefferson.Oh yeah and one of Mel Gibson.It would be a nice touch to have a nearby diner selling oatmeal and pancakes with maple syrup....Lee
k3zrf

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2008, 07:26:32 AM »

I hope they put one of Irbs dixie 100's or at least an outside speaker on that monument....   

Maybe they'll hang up the wind chimes....

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
WB2CAU

« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2008, 12:05:11 PM »

I think they're stealing that land.  That comes to around $135,000 per acre.  That's far below market values in a New York City suburb even in a depressed real estate market. Those are pre-1990 prices.  You couldn't possibly buy land anywhere around NYC today for that price even in the worst area.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher if you're stupid." -- John Wayne
W2PFY
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2008, 12:19:33 PM »

I'm sure that most of you never saw Irb all dressed up and ready for church.

Lets see if this works.

* DSCN0729.JPG (199.58 KB, 1200x900 - viewed 480 times.)

The secrecy of my job prevents me from knowing what I am doing.
W1UJR
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2008, 12:31:12 PM »

Say what you want about Irb, but he believed in what he said, and lived his life in a honorable fashion.

He could easily have taken that 3 million and lived a life of luxury, but he was true to his principles.
Certainly today's politicians could take a lesson from Irb in civics, American history, and honor.
Ask yourself who is more likely to remembered in 100 years, Irb the Patriot, or some slopbucket spewing QRM and vulgar language.

I say God bless him, and I'm delighted to see the land preserved.
I didn't always agree with him, but I sure respected the man.

Thanks Terry for posting that photo, its a side of Irb that many were not privileged to see.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2008, 12:46:36 PM »

I think they're stealing that land.  That comes to around $135,000 per acre.  That's far below market values in a New York City suburb even in a depressed real estate market. Those are pre-1990 prices.  You couldn't possibly buy land anywhere around NYC today for that price even in the worst area.

Maybe so, but who would have paid Irb's estate the ongoing market value for that land?  Some developer who would bulldoze it over to build condom-iniums?  If it remains a green space, the estate's forfeiture was money well spent.  I hope something to that effect gets written into the deed.

Of course, considering to-day's financial situation they may not have been able to find another buyer.

And if Dietsch and his wife are the ones to pocket what is left from the proceeds of the sale after the estate is settled once and for all, they will have been more than adequately compensated for caring for him before he died.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W3LSN

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2008, 06:57:05 PM »

And if Dietsch and his wife are the ones to pocket what is left from the proceeds of the sale after the estate is settled once and for all, they will have been more than adequately compensated for caring for him before he died.

$3.1M seems a little low considering the neighborhood. After the tax man gets done, I think his beneficiaries will see about half of that. Irb actually had some family on his brothers side, but I don't think they were particularly close. I went to college in NJ with his niece Cheryl and I know she also had a younger sister who might be the girl in the photo. Too bad he had no close family, but the Richardt's I knew were all somewhat independent minded so it may be in the blood. I wonder if his friends have the job of liquidating his property in upstate New York too or if he sold that a long time ago? 

73, Jim
WA2AJM/3
kb2vxa

I modulate, therefore AM

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2008, 04:45:26 AM »

"After the tax man gets done, I think his beneficiaries will see about half of that."

Actually no, each beneficiary pays tax on the amount he or she receives individually. Not knowing what each receives it's impossible to know the exact total of tax paid. Then there are attorney fees, etc. so nobody is about to hit the jackpot.

Having know Irb for many years I can say that in person he was a kind and gentle man of high honor, morals and principles I greatly admire. These things are hard to find in Western, particularly American society these days, he was one in a million. Never mind the shortwave broadcasts, not to excuse such behavior but IMO his good far outweighed the bad. For what it's worth it's not fair to mock the dead who cannot defend themselves, he wouldn't mock you.

Besides that faint sound of wind chimes isn't on your radio, you can't turn it off.

73 de Warren KB2VXA
Station powered by atomic energy, operator powered by natural gas.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2008, 11:19:37 AM »

" Actually no, each beneficiary pays tax on the amount he or she receives individually "

Also, there is the issue of "Estate Tax" to consider.

This year, 2008, $2M is exempt; the rate over this is %48......

So, if an estate is $ 3M, the taxable amount is $3M-$2M = $1M or    $480,000

IT'S MORE complicated than this, but the above is the general idea.

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015