The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 04:42:36 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dishwasher stunt  (Read 8104 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: September 27, 2008, 10:43:09 AM »

Every once in a while I do something stupid.  Last  night was my latest stunt.  Rather than go to the store and pick up a box of dishwasher detergent I figured why not use some liquid dish soap instead and get the detergent in the morning.  Big mistake.  Suds were coming out of the vent and oozing down the front of the door like the blob.  Open the door and the suds just continued to expand. The dishes are clean though.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:54:12 AM »

Bob,

Somehow I expected a boat anchor with melted dials and coils due to the heating element to be part of this story; I am happy to learn that no vintage gear was harmed during this experiment  Wink    A woman I dated years ago did the same thing except she turned her dishwasher on before leaving for work and her kitchen floor also got the suds treatment. 

My dumb stunt yesterday was to start carrying my "small" air compressor up from the radio bench in the basement out to the driveway to adjust the air pressure in my car tires now that colder weather is here-half way up the stairs carrying 50 pounds of compressor I remembered that the CTS came with a 12 volt compressor as standard equipment.  I guess I needed the exercise to stay in gear carrying shape anyway.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:15:31 AM »

I have washed variable capacitors and ceramic coils in the family dishwasher with no "ILL" effects.  I always pre-wash them to get some of the grunge off before I do the automatic wash, then I run the washer thru a cycle, empty of dishes to make sure all is clean.  But I am a bit afraid to put the heavy metal in the kitchen machine.

A couple weeks ago, I found somebody threw out a nice Frigidaire dishwasher.  Non-metallic housing, so no rust, looked pretty clean.  I snatched it up, only to find that someone cut out all the wiring from the harness to each component in the bottom.  I tested the pumps and heater, all looked fine.  I went online and downloaded the schizmatic from the Frigidaire service site, and wired it up, now it runs perfectly.  Now I can take out the baskets and clean anything I want, no worries.  I just wheel it outside the garage door, hook a hose to the hot water, and the old grungy stuff comes out looking almost new.

I am just wondering how many pennies the idiot scored for a few ounces of small copper wire???

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:33:08 AM »

The only thing I regret not doing is taking a picture.  It was quite funny.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:54:18 PM »

I tried the same thing once when dishwasher detergent ran out.  Same result.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 03:09:55 PM »

I've done that in the clothes washer. 

Swapping clothes detergent for dish detergent is ok since they are both low-sudsing type.

leaves the dishes smelling nice too. Grin

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 07:26:45 PM »

Yup. Been there, done that.   Only once, though!   Grin Tongue   Same effect.   Suds everywhere. 

Every once in a while I do something stupid.  Last  night was my latest stunt.  Rather than go to the store and pick up a box of dishwasher detergent I figured why not use some liquid dish soap instead and get the detergent in the morning.  Big mistake.  Suds were coming out of the vent and oozing down the front of the door like the blob.  Open the door and the suds just continued to expand. The dishes are clean though.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2008, 08:29:08 PM »

Well i can honestly say i haven't done any of the above,... However....There was that First Time when I was Figuring out the proper Amount Of Denture Adhesive to apply to the Upper Plate...The front of my face looked like I swallowed a handful of Alum...
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2008, 09:00:04 PM »

Speaking of dish washers. "CLR" is great for flushing out the pump and sprayers if you have a lot of minerals in the water. Our SS Kitchenaid was getting pretty nasty looking inside last weekend. I just ran the third flush through it and almost looks like new. One more time should do it.
My sister also told me Lemon coolaid also works well.
W1IA

« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2008, 09:31:34 AM »

Speaking of dish washers. "CLR" is great for flushing out the pump and sprayers if you have a lot of minerals in the water. Our SS Kitchenaid was getting pretty nasty looking inside last weekend. I just ran the third flush through it and almost looks like new. One more time should do it.
Having worked in the trade for 15 years..the ole Dish Soap trick generated lots of calls HA!..I spent years cleaning items of of dishwasher pumps. I still didn't know how to explain to a women that a condom was jammed in the pump? Shocked Oh well, I wonder what she had for dinner  Grin

B

Run What Ya Brung!
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2008, 10:28:24 AM »

Another home appliance disaster..
Mmmmmm

-------------------------------

Woman Finds Bat In Coffee Maker
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa (AP) ― It wasn't just the caffeine that gave an Iowa woman an extra jolt after she had her morning coffee. It was also the bat she found in the filter.

The Iowa Department of Public Health says the woman reported a bat in her house but wasn't too worried about it. She turned on her automatic coffee maker before bedtime and drank her coffee the next morning.

She discovered the bat in the filter when she went to clean it that night. The woman has undergone treatment for possible rabies.

Health officials say that the bat was sent to a lab but that its brain was too cooked by the hot water to determine whether it had rabies.
ab3al
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2008, 12:29:42 PM »

hey i gotta try the dishwasher detergent in the clothes washer thing.  it would probably solve the problem of water spots on my rubber sheets after the rinse cycle

lol
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2008, 01:07:11 PM »

Before I installed the wholehouse water filter the dishwasher would get nasty orange looking inside from the iron in the water.  Cleaning it with Tang worked as well.

I'll have to try the CLR trick. 

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
AF9J
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2008, 01:43:55 PM »

Oh well Bob,

I've made that mistake too.  At my last place, I got home late (as in after 10 PM).   I was tired (I'd been up since 4 AM), so without thinking, I put dish detergent in the dishwasher my apartment had, instead of dishwasher detergent.  I washed up, fired up the dishwasher, and went to bed - only to wake up to a loud dripping sound.  I went into the kitchenette, to discover suds oozing out of the dishwasher!  I noticed then that I'd used dish detergent (the dishwashing detergent was pushed to the back of the cabinet).  Oops!

Ellen - AF9J
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2008, 05:17:59 PM »

I'm glad it was just suds. If it were go ole H20 that would have been a major problem since the station is underneath the kitchen.

I had an incident about a year and a half ago where the water filter tie in to the drain system had an air vent in it that I did not know about.  The septic system decide it was time to backup because of an underground filter in the septic tank.  Was running laundry and heard the downstairs toilet bubble so I knew something was up but didn't think of it until I went downstairs to the basement.  The filter tie in was over the station. Everything got soaked when the washer emptied.  Fortunately, it wasn't good ole raw sewage, just mild soapy water from the washer. 

I was able to recover and most of the gear was protected just by shelving.  An o'scope took a good hit but it seems to work OK fine today after a good rinsing and cleaning.  I've since put in a ball check valve for the water filter and closed the air vent.  Not sure why there had to be an air vent in the first place.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 30, 2008, 10:48:48 AM »

The diswasher does a miracle clean on boatanchor stuff. Just make sure it is dried. Winter is upon us and the family oven can help out. The warm setting for a few hours shouldn't hurt anything.

Fred

Fred KC4MOP
wb1aij
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:31:41 PM »

I let my wife take care of the dishes.
Ed KB1HVS

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2008, 06:58:07 AM »

Having worked in the trade for 15 years..the ole Dish Soap trick generated lots of calls HA!..I spent years cleaning items of of dishwasher pumps. I still didn't know how to explain to a women that a condom was jammed in the pump? Shocked Oh well, I wonder what she had for dinner  Grin

B

A condom!?! Even with my wild imagination, I cant wrap my head around that!  Huh

KB1HVS. Your Hi Value Station
ka3zlr
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2008, 07:11:38 AM »

Some of these issues with dishwashers makes me wonder..... Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015