The AM Forum
May 11, 2024, 01:37:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Today's hamfest swag - any one get any goodies?  (Read 2050 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: October 05, 2008, 07:02:39 PM »

me an Glo were too sick to go to Howard County today - I know there were a few others. Anyone got any 'new' goodies?
WQ9E

« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2008, 07:31:46 PM »

Well, I didn't go to Howard County but I had to finish up some consulting business in Eastern Iowa so I took advantage of the trip to go to the W. Liberty hamfest.  I went for the first time last year after winning some tickets and it is a small but very friendly fest.  A pre-fest cookout was scheduled the night before so I went for a preview of possible goodies and the food was fine but the site also has a dirt track with a race that night so the QRM was very loud with dirt track cars racing with nothing downstream of the exhaust headers.

I went back this morning at 7:00 A.M. and a new hamfest first for me, it started hailing lightly but fortunately the rain and hail moved out in short order.  I came back to IL with a mint looking Swan 350 and matching power supply/speaker console; a very nice FT-101B with both power cords, mic, CW and AM filters which came from a silent key estate and had never been exposed to being a CB or appliance operator rig; an NC-173 with matching speaker; and several pieces of assorted test gear.  Total outlay was $375 and besides the hail/rain it was a very enjoyable morning.  There were a number of good deals available including an SX-115 for $600 (I was happy to see a deserving AMer picked it up and I already have a nice one and don't need a second).  It would have been a lengthy trip just for the hamfest (about 300 miles round trip for me) but since I already needed to be 20 miles away it worked out perfectly.

Rodger WQ9E

Rodger WQ9E
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2008, 07:48:49 PM »

You didn't miss much DRB, there were quite a few people there but nothing much of interest.  A RA6790GM went for $250, I scored a few toobs (including some baloon 42s, never seen those before) and some misc crap.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015