The AM Forum
May 20, 2024, 07:15:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: HALLI -TWINS ALMOST DONE..COUPLE QUESTIONS  (Read 4341 times)
wb1ead
Contributing

« on: September 22, 2008, 11:01:48 AM »

Hello all..been mucho busy trying to restore the Halli-Twins..HT40 and SX140..lots of caps resistors various pots later..i think it's close to done..however to complete this i'm wondering if anyone might know a commercial Gray spray paint to put on the cabinets..the front panels in both are absolute mint..so just the cabs need a touch-up..prefer the " Painters Touch " brand but Rustoleum ok too..
          Also concerning the TX..is about 20watts dropping to 15 UNMODULATED normal on AM mode?..getting about 40 or so decreasing with CW..slightly higher on 80 as opposed to 10..
           Was there ever an article in any major rag on converting the 6DQ5 to an 6146? somewhere i read this but we are talking years ago..
                            TNX all..still hanging out on 10mtrs..listening to the hiss..calling every now and then..sigh..73 de DAVE

AMer livin in "Moose Country"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »

Was there ever an article in any major rag on converting the 6DQ5 to an 6146? somewhere i read this but we are talking years ago..

Dunno, but you could get a DX-60 schematic and copy it.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2008, 09:09:03 PM »

I converted my Hallicrafters SR-150 from a pair of 12DQ6's to a pair of 6146B's, that's right B's. I did this in November 2000 and it is still going strong.

I put the fills in series = 12.6VAC

Rewired for the 6146B with Pins 1, 4, 6 and 8 grounded.

Added heat dissipating caps

Rebiased for AB1 service to get around 25-30 mA per tube resting current 

Re-neutralized  - pretty big difference

Added a small fan to the cage

Now I could do digital modes and the power output was doubled.

Mike WU2D 

These are the good old days of AM
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2008, 12:40:04 PM »

Tnx Steve and Mike for your thoughts..i left this up in case someone else wandered by..i sorta answered my own questions as i waited here the last few days..decided on Rustoleums brand of spray paint called Winter Gray in gloss..around $3.50 at Home Destruction..IMHO a very very close exact match to the cabinets in case someone else is looking..using there brand also of Professional primer with lite sanding if neccesary..somewhere in the back of my cranium i remembered it was an article in 73 mag..went to my pile of mags in the bookcase and there it was..July 1962 page 42 by K5JKX..only wrinkle was it's the complete reverse of what i was looking for!! go figure that one!! so Steve i guess i could download the DX60 manual(my very 1st rig) and look there..and Mike you must've lucked out on your mod..according to this article the actual reverse or what i gots now is the key..or maybe no change is warrented..i'll rethink that one..the output is correct according to a review i just read.                 
                     tnx guys for all input..maybe see ya all at Nearfest(will be looking for specific National)  73 de DAVE

VA3AEX
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2008, 06:18:12 PM »

Output on my HT runs about 5W unmodulated to peaks of about 30W with good audio reports.  Haven't seen the ER article and never bothered to test the final to see if I'm dealing with a soft tube...based on say a 60% effeciency rating am not sure you can get much more out but I'd be interested in hearing how you make out

Alex
wb1ead
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2008, 07:23:40 PM »

Evening Alex..i rechecked the output again on 75 thru 6..top band runs at 16watts out unmod to a dite over 40 with mod..on 10mtrs it's 10 watts unmod to 34 watts peak on mod..6mtrs shows about 8 watts to 27 watts modded..two meters essentially the same readings..not sure if this will change because next up is the N4JK audio mod..sounds like your HT40 is in the ballpark for output..they all most likely vary a little..my original intent was to work the 10 & 6mtr bands but they may end up at the next Nearfest in spring if things don't come around..Gud Luck Alex
        Mike WU2D..i knew that call sounded familiar..got your e-mail from way back when..how's the Maurader doing? sure wish we could've hooked up on 10..hey tnx agn for your comments..no need to ask if you'll be there Oct 10th & 11th..73 de DAVE

WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2008, 07:32:52 PM »

October 10th at the big Deerfield Nearfest!

These are the good old days of AM
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015