The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:23:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Appliance Operators  (Read 9295 times)
flintstone mop
Contributing

« on: September 18, 2008, 01:15:50 PM »

I guess our reference to 'appliance operators' in Hamdom stirred up some mail in this month's QST. (Our take on Appliance Operators is total lack of knowledge that what comes out of the antenna port is called R.F.Huh)
Anyway it was an interesting interpretation. The offended operator feels that the ability to 'appliance operate' gives him the opportunity to see the advancements of the art without having to be in the research and design of that art. He is a helicopter pilot and he appreciates the research and design that went into the 'appliance' he operates in his job.
It's certainly a valid approach.
Fred

Fred KC4MOP
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2008, 02:25:24 PM »

The offended operator feels that the ability to 'appliance operate' gives him the opportunity to see the advancements of the art without having to be in the research and design of that art. He is a helicopter pilot and he appreciates the research and design that went into the 'appliance' he operates in his job.
It's certainly a valid approach.

I suppose that would be a valid approach to amateur radio if the latter were a personal communications service.  I am an appliance operator when I use a cell phone or even when I use a computer. They are both black boxes into which I feed an input and benefit from the output that comes from the port on the other end, although I do tweek the computer a little, with scant knowledge of what is actually going on inside.  I can't fly a helicopter, but I am equally an appliance operator when driving a car, especially the way the build them now.  There is a big difference between being a pilot who uses the helicopter or plane as a transportation tool for some other ultimate end, compared to Chuck Yeager, or to the thousands of  aircraft hobbyists who build and/or modify aircraft or who design experimental aircraft for their own pleasure or curiosity.

I see the basis and purpose of amateur radio as more than buying a black box to use for personal communication.  In fact, the majority of what we think of as "personal communication" is illegal via amateur per Part 97.  I don't get any more thrill out of talking on a cell phone than I do operating a microwave oven or clothes dryer.

To me, appliance operation is bo-ring, which I believe largely explains the lack of growth in to-day's amateur radio, and the lack of interest on the part of the younger generation.

If the guy thinks the term "appliance operator" is a slap in the face, maybe he needs to re-think his own entry into the hobby.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
KA1ZGC
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2008, 02:42:43 PM »

It's indignant whining, if you ask me.

I appreciate all the things his helicopter can do, even though I wasn't part of the advances that made it such a wonderful machine. That doesn't make me an aviation engineer, or qualify me to fly a helicopter.

It seems to me as though the guy is a bit confused as to what constitutes an "appliance operator". Sounds like he thinks that anyone who owns an expensive solid-state radio with no user-servicable parts is an appliance operator.

If that's what he thinks, he's completely missing the point.

To be a licensed amateur radio operator, you're supposed to have some concept of what makes a radio work in the first place. What are the two primary methods of generating a single-sideband signal? How is such a signal demodulated? How are AM and FM signals modulated and demodulated? Why do your radios have IF stages, and what effect does the number of IF stages have on the radio's performance? You shouldn't even have a Tech license if you can't answer those simple questions.

The appliance operator is not someone who went out and bought a flashy radio. The appliance operator is someone who has absolutely no concept of what makes their radio tick, or the consequences of operating that radio; whether it's the latest whiz-bang from Yaecomwood or the oldest boatanchor in existance.

He should appreciate that concept, because one poorly-serviced two meter transmitter could conceivably trash aircraft communications or navigation, or police/fire/EMT frequencies. It's happened before.

I know a few appliance operators on AM with classic rigs who can't tell the bandswitch from the power switch, and would probably kill themselves trying to swap finals.

There are plenty of clueless operators to go around, and it has nothing to do with what kind of radio they are using.

Anyone who gets all wound up over the term "appliance operator" needs to put their toys back in their crib, open up whatever license manual they used to get their ticket, read some of the questions, and ask themselves if they actually understand the concepts behind those questions.

If you find you don't actually understand, then ask somebody who does. The most sure-fire way of shedding the "appliance operator" label is to actually understand the concepts you had to show some proficiency in to get your license.

Nobody was born with this knowledge, and most of us are willing to teach those who actually want to learn.

Those who aren't interested in being qualified for their license grade might as well get used to being called an appliance operator.

It really is that simple.

--Thom
Kilowatt Amplifier One Zero Grid Current
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

Even the appliance operator is obligated by rules and regs to have some technical knowledge to know whether the transmit side is doing what is supposed to, in order to remain technically complaint to the rules and regs.

The sad part is some appliance ops probably don't even own a voltmeter much less a test light and know how to use and interpret them.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »

Even the appliance operator is obligated by rules and regs to have some technical knowledge to know whether the transmit side is doing what is supposed to, in order to remain technically complaint to the rules and regs.

The sad part is some appliance ops probably don't even own a voltmeter much less a test light and know how to use and interpret them.

Rigs are getting so smart today, they tell you when something is not working properly or if you're trying to use the rig in a matter that it was not designed to be used. "in order to remain technically complaint to the rules and regs" the FCC would  have to periodically  retest all amateur operators to verify their compliance with the rules and regulations.

I don't own a test light - Am I bad  Grin
And my main rig doesn't even have any knobs or toggle switches.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2008, 04:13:43 PM »

Pete,
That just shows how out of touch I am with todays radio technology.  I didn't know that rigs will tell one that their operating improperly.  That's good, I guess.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2008, 05:53:25 PM »

He is a helicopter pilot and he appreciates the research and design that went into the 'appliance' he operates in his job.

I wouldn't get into a helicopter with that guy!
KD3CN
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2008, 07:42:25 PM »

I'm having a hard time finding this article on 'appliance operators' in my Sept 08 QST.  Any help?
Thanks. Karl
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2008, 08:01:47 PM »

Well, somebody gotta buy all them G5RV's in the catalogs...sheeze...

And they, got them $10,000.00 radios.. what else do they need...

Maybe somebody outta write an article about "Buttonology"... Cool

Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2008, 09:28:08 AM »

I wouldn't get into a helicopter with that guy!

Add me to that list! You get the impression he'd say things like "when this pretty green light comes on, it means we can go up into the air. When the pretty red light over hear lights up, it means I need to go back to the helicopter place for gas".

There's not a lot that new hams can do about the current state of the system. They're stuck with it and not to blame. However, in my opinion not wanting to know more or do more than flip a switch (and admitting it) really does take them out of the 'amateur op' category by definition and puts them squarely into the "don't know/don't care" cellphone category.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1IA

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2008, 09:51:33 AM »

Hmmm....a fun topic, but lots of preaching to the choir.
I hope that in the spirit of amateur radio we all take the time and convert the sheep.
How many times has an appliance operator stumbled across A.M. to become excited about the sound and want to get involved. I can recall at least 4 or 5 in the past year that have made an effort to understand and put together an A.M. station.

I have taken the store bought operators with a grain of salt. After all how many slam-bam 59's can one stand before realizing what a dead end that type of operating is.

Stop bitchin' and start helpin' Wink

Brent(Tina)

Run What Ya Brung!
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2008, 10:13:14 AM »

I'm having a hard time finding this article on 'appliance operators' in my Sept 08 QST.  Any help?
Thanks. Karl

"This Month"  is October Karl.... (AKA  "most recent" )

Page 24

WA5VQM
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2008, 10:33:04 AM »

Pete,
That just shows how out of touch I am with todays radio technology.  I didn't know that rigs will tell one that their operating improperly.  That's good, I guess.

Actually even my oldest boatanchors have this technology. The method of indication is different that's all. The new rigs post it on the LCD display, the old rigs used smoke signals.

73, Mark
K3ZS

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2008, 10:43:20 AM »

When I started out in ham radio I was considered an "appliance operator", using an already built NC-183 and a store bought Globe Chief kit that I built.   Real hams built their whole station from scratch, according to the oldtimers of the era.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #14 on: September 19, 2008, 10:56:52 AM »

Hmmm....a fun topic, but lots of preaching to the choir.
I hope that in the spirit of amateur radio we all take the time and convert the sheep.
How many times has an appliance operator stumbled across A.M. to become excited about the sound and want to get involved. I can recall at least 4 or 5 in the past year that have made an effort to understand and put together an A.M. station.

I have taken the store bought operators with a grain of salt. After all how many slam-bam 59's can one stand before realizing what a dead end that type of operating is.

Stop bitchin' and start helpin' Wink

Agreed...  The best place to start is down below 3800.  Since the bands have quieted down somewhat, I have made it a point to avoid the congestion and get on 3700 +/-; I have got an AM QSO going every night.  I just made a short test the other night on 3675 and had a station in Tampa come back to me. Some transceiver ops trying out their rig on AM for the first time, and others, "veteran" AM'ers.  The station in Tampa was using a 200V and R-390A. ...And I'm looking forward to 160 in a few more weeks.

No deliberate QRM or gripin' slopbuckets so far.

I know of more than one "appliance op" who tried out their transceivers on AM and ended up motivated to homebrew a transmitter or get a vintage AM station on the air.  So I don't go out of my way to make fun of or otherwise antagonise appliance ops over the air; it might turn off otherwise potentially new AM gangstas.

Yes, I can recall, back in the 60's, hams running Rangers and Apaches being called appliance operators.  But even then, almost everyone used a commercially built receiver.  I don't ever recall anyone being called an appliance op because of the receiver.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
AF9J
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2008, 11:00:20 AM »

I won't lie, appliance operators do exist out there.  I know one who is in the area.  He's a Tech. license, and I doubt he'll ever go any higher.  He does mainly VHF & UHF, SSB & CW operating.  He's a nice guy who lives in a great hilltop location for doing this kind of operating.  But, when I asked him to help me with on-the-air tests for setting up my mic audio for the ICOM IC-910H I use for 2m, 432, and 1296 operating, he told me that he'd try to help, but wasn't even sure himself about setting up audio in his own IC-910H, stating that when it came to fundamental changes in things like mic gain, receiver AGC settings, etc. he asked another local ham (who happens to also do VHF & UHF weak signal operating, and is an Electrical Engineer) to do it for him.  I know for a fact that he didn't install the 1296 MHz module in his IC-910H (I found it ridiculously easy to put this module in mine).  Another local, who is a Tech. (and sort of wannabe General), used to ask on Evil Bonnie's, HF Pack group, where he could buy all of the cool antennas a lot of us built.  It's too bad in a way.  I don't expect a Radio Amateur to be an RF Tech or RF Engineer knowledgewise, but I would at least expect you to know how not to get in trouble on the air, and do basic things like make a simple dipole, or set the mic gain to avoid splattering, if you have a Tech. or General Class license.

Ellen - AF9J
KA1ZGC
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2008, 07:52:38 PM »

Hmmn... I hear a few people implying that there are no appliance operators who operate AM. I could name a few, but that wouldn't be constructive.

"Appliance operator" status has nothing to do with preferred mode of operation.
ka3zlr
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2008, 08:55:47 PM »

Aaah Phoey.... Run whatcha Brung....
W1UJR
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2008, 09:33:55 PM »

Just a little somethin' I wrote a little while back....

In my experience, there are two types of folks who get into ham radio, those who wish to just communicate, and those who fall in love with the technical aspects. I call them the "communicators", and the "operators" respectively. Most stay in their class, rarely do "communicators" become "operators" and rarely do "operators" revert to "communicators". It has everything to do with personality and temperament, and little to do with income, intelligence, or one's station in life.

So let's start with the communicators.
The "communicators" are just there to chat, have little interest in theory, are frustrated with or hate CW, and often fall by the wayside in 5 or so years. This is true of most, but not all, of those holding entry level tickets, who can't or won't upgrade. When shine is off the apple, they move onto other means of communicating. Nothing wrong with that, its just what they do. This is the prime demographic for the good folks from Icom, Kenwood and Yaesu. You can often spot a "communicator" by his prominent "shack on the belt" HT, 11 meter anachronisms, and large collection of plastic radios. Most just move on to the latest and great thing to come down the pike, be it cellphones, IM chat, or texting. Radio is a means, not an end.

Now the operators.
The other folks, the operators, are like most of us on AM Fone. We love the theory, the magic, and the technology just as much, if not more, than we do chatting. We tend to be the late night tinkers, builders, restorers, and caretakers of the older gear. Most of us don't own a rig newer than a decade old, and often most of our station is taken up with homebrew or tube gear. We are in it for the long haul, and see radio as something that we will enjoy for the rest of our lives, especially so in the retirement years. These folks are much akin to the new hams of the early halcyon days of radio, they fascinated with the daring concept of casting your voice through the aether, not knowing who will return. Like the young kid that stays up to all hours of the night, tuning his homebrew regen, and sending out CW messages into the aether on his little breadboard CW rig. Old buzzard QSOs are the standard here, and we eschew the 59 contester methodology of contact. Many of us still keep written logs, card files, or lists of other hams.

What this means...
I used to think one could change people, convince them of how cool radio is, but that strategy just does not work. We can however, be open, and nurture those with an interest, be it with the ARRL's programs, or just in the neighborhood. Perhaps today, more than any other time in our nation's history, children need a clean, simple, and wholesome hobby like radio. I just want to be open to those who want to learn. If each one of us can bring just one person into the hobby, Elmer them so they understand the magic, then our numbers will remain constant, and radio will not be lost when we pass onto our reward.

...And now, back to our regularly scheduled posting...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2008, 10:58:25 PM »

Bruce:
In my opinion, I think the info is somewhat dated.  What category do you put all the contesters in, the VHF/ UHF/satellite/moonbounce people, all the HF/VHF/UHF assortment of digital type modes, emergency-type operations, and the "I love nets" (24/7) people.

How about "Communicators", "Operators", "Technos"(lump some of your operator marvels in this one) Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2008, 11:09:40 PM »

Bruce's group cover your groups Pete. There are people in all those groups that are appliance ops and those that are operators (i think the term is limiting because he means people that operate but  ALSO have technical skills and actions).

One example in the contester group. There are communicators, those who show up to some contest station and operate. They have little or no technical skill. Then there are contesters who built incredible stations and antenna systems. Big difference.

Bruce:
In my opinion, I think the info is somewhat dated.  What category do you put all the contesters in, the VHF/ UHF/satellite/moonbounce people, all the HF/VHF/UHF assortment of digital type modes, emergency-type operations, and the "I love nets" (24/7) people.

How about "Communicators", "Operators", "Technos"(lump some of your operator marvels in this one) Grin
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2008, 08:22:57 AM »

Bruce said:
In my experience, there are two types of folks who get into ham radio, those who wish to just communicate, and those who fall in love with the technical aspects. I call them the "communicators", and the "operators" respectively.

Nice analogy Bruce. I gave that some thought and you are correct. What's interesting is that I venture into the realm of 75M very rarely. But twice last year, I called CQ AM and a person came back to me running a ricebox of whatever make. They usually would state something to the effect that they were waiting for someone else on SSB that didn't show and heard me calling CQ or were just frequency surfing and heard the carrier. In all cases, they confided that they used to run AM 'way-back-when' and thought that the mode had died out. Usually they would go into detail about a big homebrew maul that they made using 304's, 813's and such. But all said before the conclusion of the QSO that they would have to do this again.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015