The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:16:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Sad Day for Music...  (Read 9406 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: September 16, 2008, 12:32:38 PM »

Pink Floyd keyboardist and founding member Richard Wright succumbed to cancer yesterday at his home:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/music/article4759857.ece

I caught the tail end of a message on the FoxNews crawler during the flight home mentioning Floyd's Momentary Lapse of Reason album but never saw the message again. Feared the worst, which was confirmed when I finally got a chance to search today.

Yet another reminder of that whole 'mortality' issue....

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »

Cry

This is very sad news indeed.

I based adolecense on listening to Pink Floyd. From the trippy years leading up to Dark Side of The Moon, to the mourning phase of Wish You Were Here, the angry phase of The Wall, to the "let's start this over" period of Momentary Lapse of Reason, to the "so long and thanks for all the fish" of Division Bell, there was always something in their music I could identify with.

Richard Wright's not-over-the-top keyboards and occaisional vocals were a key piece of the Floyd's overall sound. Even if you didn't notice his presence, you would certainly find him conspicuous by his absence (take "The Final Cut", for example).

He also played and toured with David Gilmour for "On an Island", which Gilmour did just a few years ago.

You don't have to be a headliner to be a crucial part of a very influential phenomenon. Richard Wright was living proof of that.

Rest In Peace, Richard. We will never forget you.

--Thom
WA1GFZ

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2008, 02:02:30 PM »

My Kids have me turn up the radio whenever P.F. comes on...shine on
John K5PRO

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2008, 03:01:29 PM »

While working during summer while in high school, I did some part time work DJ'ing at now dark WCKM radio 1250 in SC. It was a 500 watt local. I covered the 4th July afternoon slot as the regulars wanted the day off. I premiered Dark Side of the Moon LP, in its entirety, without interruption. I don't think my audience knew what hit them; neither did the program director. But knew that Pink Floyd wasn't a flash in the pan one-hitter. That was a great summer. I think it might have been 1973. I still have fond memories (flashbacks!) - PF still gives me shivers on some of their stuff, Richard Wright was a FB keyboardist.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2008, 03:46:39 PM »

Yet another reminder of that whole 'mortality' issue....

yeah, I hate that stuff.   Tongue  I'm seriously, like into that for real.... Cool

Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2008, 10:45:34 PM »

Oh gawd! Now Pink Floyd will be on the local classic rock station's playlist, like forever!  I mean more than it has been.   Between Floyd, Stones,  Led Zepelin, and the usual overplayed dreck...  That's why I listen to cassettes!

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
Ed - N3LHB
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2008, 10:56:58 PM »

Bummer, Richard Wright was a member of one of the most iconic bands of all times...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYd6mCAcQw8&feature=related
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2008, 09:23:28 AM »

"I know I am mad, I've always been mad like the most of us are. They had to explain why you were mad, even when you're not mad!".....begining of 'Breathe', Dark Side of the Moon.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2008, 03:14:40 PM »

Oh gawd! Now Pink Floyd will be on the local classic rock station's playlist, like forever!  I mean more than it has been.   Between Floyd, Stones,  Led Zepelin, and the usual overplayed dreck...  That's why I listen to cassettes!

Cassettes?

I got all the above bands on 8-Track.
k3zrf

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2008, 07:59:13 PM »

My Kids have me turn up the radio whenever P.F. comes on...shine on

There is hope!

Good schtuff sonny.

dave/zrf
A closed mouth gathers no foot
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2008, 09:54:59 PM »

Too bad he crapped out, not because of the music, but the loss for his family and friends. PF recordings exist. Nothing was lost musically.
AF9J
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2008, 10:10:12 AM »

Gee, I didn't know, that many of us felt that strongly about Pink Floyd.  Otherwise I would have posted this info a couple of days ago.  I found about about Richard Wright's death, when one of the Harmony Central Electric Guitar forum's British members posted about his death, a few hours before Todd's first post.  Sorry about that.

Ellen - AF9J
WQ9E

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2008, 10:47:43 AM »

[/quote]

Cassettes?

I got all the above bands on 8-Track.
[/quote]

8-Track???  How modern!  Wink I have a lot of 60/70's stuff on reel to reel.  I will admit to using a DBX SNR-1 with some of the tapes which does a great job of removing/masking hiss.

Rodger

Rodger WQ9E
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2008, 12:39:46 PM »

Too bad he crapped out, not because of the music, but the loss for his family and friends. PF recordings exist. Nothing was lost musically.

You're right of course, Steve. His family lost him at a somewhat early age by today's standards - 65. The music community will have to be content with what exists now.

I never saw the entire group together, only the Waters-less version at Olympic Stadium Montreal back in '88, just before they shut it down due to falling concrete. The show was amazing, both visually and aurally. MY hope was to see the entire group together again, but I suppose a case could be made that this would involve Syd Barrett too, gone now for a couple years.

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2008, 01:30:25 PM »

Speaking of OTs, I was just advised that we're getting Joan Baez in for a session on Saturday. Now, THAT'S major 60s.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2008, 02:42:26 PM »

I was just advised that we're getting Joan Baez in for a session on Saturday. Now, THAT'S major 60s.

My sympathies, Bill!
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2008, 03:42:24 PM »

I prefer Meddle out of the Pink Floyd catalog.

When Dark Side of The Moon came out, it was notable in two ways. First, it was recorded ultra clean (for the day) and sounded tremendous sonically speaking. Second, it was played to death, way way too much, and still is. Yeah really good R&R.

I saw them in person in NYC during the "flying pig" tour... ooog. Not really a great show live, unless ur a die-hard Floyd fan, imho. I went with a good friend of mine who is one, and he dug the thing greatly. For me, live, a bit ponderous. But I'm hard to please when it comes to live performances.

And, what ever happend to the "concept" album?
Like Dark Side, Abbey Road, Hotel Californicate etc... ah well...

<fumbles around> where did I put my new pop albums... </fumbles around>  Shocked Shocked

I guess the moral of the story is: don't get old?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2008, 04:11:40 PM »

I saw PF for my first time at Madison Square Garden back in the 70's.  I think I was 15 and probably my 2nd or 3rd R&R concert I went too.  It was the Animals tour. My friends older brother took us to the show.  Got to see all the original members.  The last time I was PF was at the old NE Patriots stadium in Foxboro, MA.  That was a good show in itself but didn't compare to the Animals show.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2008, 05:52:18 PM »

I was just advised that we're getting Joan Baez in for a session on Saturday. Now, THAT'S major 60s.

My sympathies, Bill!

LOL, Bud!
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2008, 05:56:46 PM »

Yeah really good R&R.

I saw them in person in NYC during the "flying pig" tour... ooog. Not really a great show live, unless ur a die-hard Floyd fan, imho. I went with a good friend of mine who is one, and he dug the thing greatly. For me, live, a bit ponderous. But I'm hard to please when it comes to live performances.

Sort of argues that is wasn't R&R. The PF stuff was over-produced, over over-dubbed, studio only creations. Interesting, if a little overbearing, but not R&R to me.
ka3zlr
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2008, 07:15:11 PM »

Joan Baez...Ewwwwuuuuuuuuuu....Jane Curtain with a Hollow Body...LOL...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015