The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:46:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cool Storage  (Read 4013 times)
WA1GFZ

« on: September 01, 2008, 09:10:40 PM »

I bought 6 gallons of paint this weekend and was about to trash the first can when I found it was made of plastic. I thought what a cool can with a handle to store large parts like power resistors. I wonder when they stopped using metal cans......And they clean up easily. 
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2008, 10:12:02 PM »

I recently bought 5 gallons each of oil based primer and acrylic latex top coat.  The oil primer came in a metal can and the latex in a plastic one.  My most recent purchases of 1-gallon paint all came in metal cans.

I have found the plastic cans easy to clean by simply peeling off the layer of paint after it dries.  I have sometimes managed to get nearly all of it to come off in one piece.  Epoxy peels off the same way.  I often use 1-qt plastic yoghourt containers for mixing epoxy.  After the  residue hardens, it peels right out so that the container can be re-used for mixing another batch.

When painting I pour about 1/3 gallon at a time into a plastic bucket to take up the ladder.  It is easier to manage, and if it gets spilt, less paint is lost.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2008, 10:21:17 PM »

cool! That gives me ideas for the plastic PVC buckets the kitty litter comes in. I been keeping them to recycle from time to time.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2008, 08:56:11 AM »

Hey Don,
I will end up with a large stash of sheetrock mud pails when I'm done. I think I'm on the fourth pail. Kitty litter pails are nice some are square and stack closer.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2008, 11:02:18 AM »

Someone made canvas tool holders to fit inside the 5 gal mud pails, they used to be available at Hosstraders years ago. They lay over the top rim and hang outside where the tool pouches are, leaving inside free for larger tools and more 'stuff'.

There are 8 or more stacked out behind the house and another nearly empty inside, more than happy to bring them to Deerfield if anyone can put them to a better use. Rumor has it that they make a great coil form....  Grin

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2008, 05:59:04 PM »

So now crappy paint comes in plastic cans.  God helps us.  Give me real paint and metal or give me death.

I guess now I'll have to go to my fathers old paint company and get real (industrial)paint.

I have real caulk (oil based) from when my father was in the paint and coating manufacturing business.  I wonder what it will go for on EBay.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2008, 06:37:23 PM »

Bob,
What was your Father's company name?
W1RKW
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2008, 07:46:15 PM »

Keeler and Long in Watertown. Before that, Walter Paint Products in Waterbury. K+L absorb my grandfathers/fathers company. K+L was bought out years ago after that by PPG though PPG still uses the name K+L and they still offer the same products.  All products were industrial grade and not subjected to consumer grade regs. 

My father had a leaky basement years ago and decided to seal it with one of K+Ls products.  I can't remember what it was but when applied to concrete at many mils thicker than normal paint, it would not run.  This stuff sealed the concrete once and for all and no more leaks.  It cured with a nearly mirror like finish.  Nuke plants use this stuff. One cannot get this stuff off the shelf at home cheapo.

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
John K5PRO

« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »

When I worked for Dupont, I remember they made some industrial paints that were used for locomotives. Boy, those were some strong coatings, unfortunately, high in volatiles.

Got some nice 2 gallon white plastic buckets from the local supermarket chains. They get their icing by the tub, for making cakes in the bakery dep't. Easier to clean up than paint buckets, you could just lick them clean if you aren't diabetic! Just ask them and they may give you a bunch with lids if they haven't already crushed them.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015