The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:29:03 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Using a computer microphone or headset works very well  (Read 3876 times)
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« on: September 13, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

Hi

A few months ago, I decided... just for fun... to use a computer microphone for a few days. These "electret" microphones are inexpensive and pretty darn good when used in conjunction with a typical microphone input on a preamplifier or a mixer.

Attached below is the circuit I cobbled together to provide the ~5 volts (not critical) of phantam voltage needed by the electret element. The battery should last a very long time provided you open the switch when it is not in use. [Or leave out the switch, and just unplug the microphone from the interface box]

It is somewhat sobering to note that folks who generally compliment me on my audio, didn't notice anything wrong when I used the computer microphone instead of an RE27, etc.

Naturally, if you do A/B comparisons... people will notice the difference... but the computer microphone is pretty darn good.

* Computer Microphone.jpg (35.7 KB, 960x720 - viewed 517 times.)

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
K1DEU
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2008, 06:58:59 PM »

Yes Stu you have audio, but I was sure you had a new extremely bad cold. Regards John
AB2EZ

"Season's Greetings" looks okay to me...

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2008, 07:30:42 PM »

I'm fine John... thanks for asking. I'll put your audio report on my list of things to consider... very far down the list.

Stu

Stewart ("Stu") Personick. Pictured: (from The New Yorker) "Season's Greetings" looks OK to me. Let's run it by the legal department
KF1Z

Are FETs supposed to glow like that?

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2008, 09:07:32 PM »

Yup, sure....

Lots of folks using electret elements...

My mic cost me $0.39.  the processing, another $15.

Could my audio be better?  YES...

Am I working to improve it?  heck NO.

K1DEU
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2008, 08:55:02 AM »

Stu; I gave you a serious audio report, your electret element needs a better housing and some EQ to not sound as though your nose is plugged up.

When you switched to your Electrovoice RE 27 your audio is not nasal and is more than excellent ! John
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2008, 02:05:27 PM »

I use a D-104 SILVER EAGLE, therefore my audio is better than yores....cause it's a POWER mic.  Roll Eyes
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015