The AM Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:12:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Homebrew AM station planning and design  (Read 19702 times)
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2008, 05:50:14 PM »

Hi Carl,

My vote is a loafing 6146! Whatever you pick for a driver, think about how you would shield and neutralize it if you intend on using it as a straight through amplifier. Tubes like the 6146 will cause bad things to happen if they take off. George W1GAC (SK) used the 2E26 as a driver.

The lineups driving the 813 include the 1625 (T-47 ART13), 807's, 837, 2E26, 6146.

A 5763 or 6L6 might be totally adequate for a single band driver.

RCA designed many commercial transmitters with a pair of 813's being driven by a single 807.http://jproc.ca/rrp/at3.html

Good luck!

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
KI4YAN
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2008, 07:05:06 PM »

Well, just back from the hamfest, picked up a plate transformer, 980VCT 250mA, 5V 2.5A, 6.3V 5A. Also a pair of 2E26 for 50c each, and a 120pF air variable. (I know, not enough for 80m plate tank...) Met a gentleman who has quite a few 812A's that he's willing to let go of cheaply, we'll see.

I scored a working NC-88 reciever, I just missed the NC-300 across the isle from it. guy in front of me bought it. Also missed an R-390A by 150$...just didn't have enough to get it. Time to get the NC-88 recapped...I have all of them in my junkbox.

Anyone need a 10.5" tall rackmount cabinet? For mounting rack equipment for desktop use, stuff like R-390A's and the like. All steel, brand new, I have 10 or 20 of them. Fair radio wants 156.00$ for a similar rack, mine are 65$ + shipping cost...

Picked up a lot of ebay fodder at the hamfest as well, 4-pin jumbo sockets and stuff. the kind that fit a 211 and the like.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2008, 07:59:01 PM »

Hi Carl,

My vote is a loafing 6146! Whatever you pick for a driver, think about how you would shield and neutralize it if you intend on using it as a straight through amplifier. Tubes like the 6146 will cause bad things to happen if they take off. George W1GAC (SK) used the 2E26 as a driver.

The lineups driving the 813 include the 1625 (T-47 ART13), 807's, 837, 2E26, 6146.

/rrp/at3.html

Good luck!

Thanks Mike,
I just want 160, 80 and 40.

I have been thinking of using the design from a Johnson Adventurer as the driver, loafing the 807 along at a level high enough to drive the 813.

It seemed like overkill but at least I would not be stressing things

Carl
/KPD

Mike WU2D

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KX5JT
Contributing

John-O-Phonic

« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 05:09:10 AM »

Inquiring minds want to know!!!  Is anything on the air yet?

AMI#1684
KI4YAN
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2009, 08:08:15 PM »

No, I can't get a decent receiver going yet. Months later, and parts abound, but motivation is gone.

Been collecting parts for a receiver lately, fooled around with all sorts of regenerative designs, reflexing, etc. I'm gonna have to come up with something better than the 100ft wire out the window for an antenna, as there is so much noise that I have STILL yet to hear anything resembling a ham transmission. shortwave broadcast no problem, Radio Japan, Radio Havana, all around 6110kc-6170kc. Got Radio Denmark last night for a short duration, maybe 5 minutes. But to get any kind of intellegable signal, takes a few hours listening to static in the 'phones first, and then I can start to pick out things that might be voices. I mean, how hard is it to pick up CW? I can't even hear that most of the time, but whistling carriers abound.

Gonna have to get something to receive with...
N0WVA

« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2009, 10:01:18 PM »

No, I can't get a decent receiver going yet. Months later, and parts abound, but motivation is gone.

Been collecting parts for a receiver lately, fooled around with all sorts of regenerative designs, reflexing, etc. I'm gonna have to come up with something better than the 100ft wire out the window for an antenna, as there is so much noise that I have STILL yet to hear anything resembling a ham transmission. shortwave broadcast no problem, Radio Japan, Radio Havana, all around 6110kc-6170kc. Got Radio Denmark last night for a short duration, maybe 5 minutes. But to get any kind of intellegable signal, takes a few hours listening to static in the 'phones first, and then I can start to pick out things that might be voices. I mean, how hard is it to pick up CW? I can't even hear that most of the time, but whistling carriers abound.

Gonna have to get something to receive with...

Dude, screw the regen idea......I mean, I like them and I use mine for CW, but dont kill yourself trying to keep it "on the edge" for good AM reception.

Hell, for that matter, dont even screw with tubes for receiving.....diddle around with some small signal FETs. A good superhet AM receiver can cost less than ten bucks. Ever try using a ZN414 for an IF amp?
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015