The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 11:34:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Riley Hollingsworth's very nice letter to hams in QST  (Read 11071 times)
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« on: August 13, 2008, 11:24:22 AM »

"An Open Letter to the Amateur Radio Community" Sept. '08 QST,

Closed up shop on July 3rd, "bids adieu to FCC but not to ham radio."

Perhaps we can scan the article and include here if it doesn't violate any copyrights, etc.

Very thoughtful letter, a lot of mention of hams' contributions to public service, reliability during emergencies and the selflessness of most hams; little mention of outlaws other than "those who know it all, constantly cause trouble on the bands but have been islolated by our own efforts.

Riley mentions that the FCC's enforcment of ham bands spread to other services. "Enforcement is now central to our mission." ...the FCC is no longer a rubber stamp for other services, industrial and commercial.  One of his comments is especially telling. "During the first year that we got back into Amatur enforcement, you sent more than 5000 e-mails and letters thanking the Commission."...  "You must remain vigilant and never tolerate your Amateur Radio Service being neglected again."

Riley honored his "Elmer," W4WZ and related his early experiences in radio.

All in all, a fine farewell.

RICK  *W3RSW*
N8LGU

« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2008, 12:58:17 PM »

Riley is a closet AM'er. I think we should invite him to the forum now that he's retired.

"Rock Cave Dave"
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 02:39:10 PM »

" Riley is a closet AM'er. I think we should invite him to the forum now that he's retired. "

Its a greate idea, as long as we don't badger him.... 

What? Me worry?
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 04:08:18 PM »

" Riley is a closet AM'er. I think we should invite him to the forum now that he's retired. "

Its a greate idea, as long as we don't badger him....

Like what happened to Ed Hare, W1RFI?

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 04:12:01 PM »

TNX Riley and just one question.
I wonder if K1MAN has a life now that they took away his radio toy?
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2008, 11:36:53 PM »

the question is what kind of life?
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2008, 12:05:13 AM »

TNX Riley and just one question.
I wonder if K1MAN has a life now that they took away his radio toy?

FCC database shows his call is still active. He's back listed in QRZ. I heard tell that you can find him on 20 meters. His web site is still active.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2008, 06:45:57 AM »

Riley retired...well hey very good for him...he earned it, Take a month off OM...and get some snooze time.

He had his plate full, look at that VHF mess in Cal what a calamity that was, and Glenny's back on 20..LOL..Well now..that's interesting... Cool

makes me think of nemo..just keep swimming.. just keep swimming...I dunno..LOL..
K9ACT
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2008, 12:44:17 AM »

Am I getting senile or did half of the messages on this topic vanish?

I wanted to respond to one I read this morning but now it and lots more are not there.

Anyway, as a born-again ham of two years, the only Riley I know was on the radio a few years ago.

However, I was intrigued by the discussion about re-testing hams.

Thumbing through a 1936 issue of QST, I found an editorial warning hams not to over use the QRS sig.
It is a flag to the FCC that one may be suspected of not being qualified and subject to being called in for re-testing.

Now that is enforcement!

js
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2008, 09:39:15 AM »

I recall some time in the early 60's that a CB'er received a pink ticket because at the end of his conversation, he gave his call sign as required by the FCC back then, but after saying the call sign he uttered the additional words "good night".  The violation was for improper identification.  The callsign was supposed to be the final utterance when terminating a contact.

FCC personnel must have had a  lot more time on their hands in those days than they do now, to be able to monitor CB conversations and then go to the trouble to issue citations for infractions that minor.

In those days there were monitoring stations all over the country, manned by real live people.  Things must have got slow at times.

The "enforcement" that Riley refers to in his letter came to an end when they decided to save money by retiring the manned monitoring stations.

I suspect that their justification to phase out closely monitoring the airwaves would be that HF is no longer so vital a part of the communications infrastructure as it was before the advent of satellites.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W1EUJ
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2008, 09:54:41 AM »

Am I getting senile or did half of the messages on this topic vanish?
However, I was intrigued by the discussion about re-testing hams.
Now that is enforcement!

js

I know, that was what I was thinking! I think that was a great and creative solution!
K3ZS

« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2008, 10:03:55 AM »

I met Riley at a ham club meeting.    In his talk to the club he stated that hams that took their tests from the FCC could not be reexamined.    Tests taken from anyone else could be called for reexamination especially if the ham's qualifications were suspect.
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2008, 11:54:57 AM »

Thanks G., Steve et. al. for the edit.
Looks like we were descending into the usual vitreol.

Riley is slated to speak at the WVa state convention Sat.,Aug. 23rd, 15:00 EST at Jacksons Mill, Weston, WV.  Not sure now since he's retired. I'll see if I can get an update.

http://www.qsl.net/wvsarc/

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2008, 08:56:38 PM »

I'd like to go see him Rick, I never met Riley, I'd like to shake his hand once...that little feller had his hands full...

The only beef i got, and it isn't really a Riley issue, but, it just bugs the feathers out of me is this "QSL" thing going on...QSL.. Grin when did end of transmission include QSL on Phone...QSL..LOL..it's ridiculous... Grin

It's just a me thing...never mind... Grin
K9ACT
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2008, 12:39:36 AM »

Thanks G., Steve et. al. for the edit.
Looks like we were descending into the usual vitreol.

http://www.qsl.net/wvsarc/

Some few disagree with the posting so we are all supposed to cheer that the descenting views got spiked?

I had only a vague idea of who Riley is and now I know but somehow only the happy talk is allowed to stand?

Must I erase this knowledge from my brain too?

What sort of forum is this?  Locking up a topic is one thing but removing other views is sick.

Say it isn't so.

js
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2008, 12:54:07 AM »

It had nothing to do with a dissenting view, Jack. More with the poster and his background and motive. If you keep in mind the original purpose of AMfone (sharing information pertaining to, and promoting the mode of AM), as well as the fact that the site is not a democracy but a benevolent dictatorship, and throw in a little trust that the moderators know what they're doing, it becomes much more clear. The QSO section was never intended to be an anything goes free-for-all, more of a catch all for casual topics that don't quite fit in other categories. The fact that some choose to see how much they can get away with doesn't change that.   Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2008, 07:22:30 AM »

Todd said:
It had nothing to do with a dissenting view, Jack. More with the poster and his background and motive. If you keep in mind the original purpose of AMfone (sharing information pertaining to, and promoting the mode of AM), as well as the fact that the site is not a democracy but a benevolent dictatorship, and throw in a little trust that the moderators know what they're doing, it becomes much more clear. The QSO section was never intended to be an anything goes free-for-all, more of a catch all for casual topics that don't quite fit in other categories. The fact that some choose to see how much they can get away with doesn't change that.

I tend to agree with Jack on this one Todd. The person did have a personal beef with Riley and was on the receiving end of his disposition. What he had to say was on topic and I didn't read anything that was foul or objectionary other than he disagreed with the majority on the board. I met Riley when he stopped down at Frank's, (AHE) house after the Timonium fest. He seemed decent and approachable. However, hindsight being 20/20, I personally thought he could have handled the K1(wo)MAN issue a little better than what he did. Also, most of us here agree that his address at Dayton was a little over the top. But I would certainly hope I don't get my post removed or be excommunicated from the board by posting a dissenting viewpoint.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2008, 07:57:28 AM »

C'mon you guys ; this h'ain't the colonies here.  Lighten up just a hair  Grin

This reminds me of the old two meter repeater arguements. Who built it? Who's control?  What's allowed? Who owns the repeater?  Who's locked out... ad nauseum. 

Just like repeaters this board is an amateur provided service, complete with (gasp) owners and rules.  You can contribute monitarily if you so desire but it's optional.  And just like repeaters, airports, really just about all services, what is initially a wonderful service and privliledge is soon perceived as a public utility. 

RICK  *W3RSW*
K3ZS

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2008, 09:25:57 AM »

When Riley was a speaker at our ham club, most of the members did not know what he looked like.    I did and had a nice personal conversation with him before the meeting, before anyone else knew who the stranger was.  His personal views on the "deregulation" of call sign assignments were the same as mine.   

On the recent edit, after I posted, I googled one of the callsigns of a poster and I now understand the editor's actions.
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2008, 04:30:50 PM »

I tend to agree with Jack on this one Todd. The person did have a personal beef with Riley and was on the receiving end of his disposition. What he had to say was on topic and I didn't read anything that was foul or objectionary other than he disagreed with the majority on the board.

But I would certainly hope I don't get my post removed or be excommunicated from the board by posting a dissenting viewpoint.

Mike(y) -

Please read my response again, particularly the part that says:

It had nothing to do with a dissenting view, Jack. More with the poster and his background and motive.

If you need further clarification, Google is your pal.

There's a reason that 'fone doesn't become a cesspool like what can be seen on QRZ and elsewhere. Don't just assume it's a conspiracy to stifle dissent about Riley - I've made comments of disagreement with some of Riley's words and actions as well. It had little, if anything, to do with Riley or the thread, beyond bringing other issues to light.

Disagree all you want, really. I suspect if we all thought Riley was ideal, that would mean some other group was screaming foul and/or favoritism. Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
K9ACT
« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2008, 12:09:43 AM »

If you need further clarification, Google is your pal.

GOTCHA!

Pray tell, what do I Google?  The entire message was removed without a clue, reason or even the author's name.

Surely there is a better way to handle such "unwelcome" postings.  It's part of the data base.  It's a point of view.  It would seem more appropriate for the moderator to post an op-ed as opposed to "disappearing" it.

You will never convince me that knowledge is evil.  Give me both sides and let me decide.  The demise of Crossfire was the end of CNN as far as I was concerned.

js

ka3zlr
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2008, 07:00:37 AM »

Never worry about something getting the boot, There is a Quality on here that considers the needs of the many and the over all outlook .

This Sandbox is provided for our use and sometimes the rules have to be enforced...Oh well....
N8LGU

« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2008, 12:11:27 PM »

I understand both points of view, But I side with Jack.
BTW, I've talked with Riley on the phone several times and, as AM'ers, I feel we are in his debt.

"Rock Cave Dave"
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2008, 04:30:34 PM »

W6WBJ. Google it. AM Fone is not here to be the font of all knowledge. Your argument is specious.

* CA45OPKB.jpg (44.15 KB, 480x480 - viewed 435 times.)
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2008, 02:57:17 PM »

Maybe just to bring this topic back into the light, but who is Riley's replacement/assumes his duties? I understand some intentional QRMing went on this morning by a slopbucketeer. I'm curious as to who should I send a recording to?  Huh

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015