The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 02:55:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New Canadian HF Band Plan  (Read 7424 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: August 21, 2008, 07:29:56 PM »

The Canadian HF Band Plan was formulated by a committee of Radio Amateurs representative of a cross section of each geographical district. After a consensus was reached by the committee, the HF Band Plan was submitted to the Board of Directors of Radio Amateurs of Canada for approval.

The Plan was approved on July 22, 2008.

The main mode of enforcement is peer pressure.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
KA1ZGC
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 08:00:07 PM »

Interesting how they call out 14285 as the "QRP SSB Centre" and 14286 as the "AM Centre".

Conspicuously absent is anything about bandwidth limitations on phone modes. So much for that IARU bandplan that had everyone running around like headless chickens.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2008, 08:04:28 PM »

It's not a bad plan. 

The only bone I would pick is the implication that AM is not allows where PHONE is specified. Since there are "special frequencies" for AM in the notes.   But still better looked pretty good to me.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2008, 10:43:47 PM »

I sort of expected beer to have been mentioned.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2008, 10:50:37 PM »

It's not a bad plan. 

The only bone I would pick is the implication that AM is not allows where PHONE is specified. Since there are "special frequencies" for AM in the notes.   But still better looked pretty good to me.

I don't see that.  There are references throughout the document to "phone modes" (note word in the plural).  The only mention I see of AM are:  for 160: 1850 - 1999 Includes AM and SSTV modes, plus recognition of 3885 as "AM phone calling frequency", 7290/14286 "AM centres" and 29.0-29.2 designated for AM.  I don't see anything to imply that AM is discouraged on other frequencies.

Particularly, I rarely hear any Canadians on 3885, while there is a big Canadian AM group on 3725, which is not mentioned in the band plan.

There is a 6 kHz bandwidth limit for AM written into the Canadian regulations, but I don't think anyone pays much attention to it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 05:53:12 AM »

I sort of Like the Idea of How it was done, a group of Amateurs got together worked out the indifference's, ironed out the details, an got the job Done.

No memo's, No Inside Traffic, No trip to Buenos Aries... Got-R-Done.. LOL Grin
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 03:54:32 PM »

This bulletin board may have had something to do with the final plan.  When we were discussing the IARU Region 2 band plan, a couple of VE's (I forget who) posted messages saying that they had contacted RAC people to discuss provisions for the AM mode in any Canadian plan, and that the response was positive.  The messages are probably still in the archive if anyone wants to look them up.  As I recall, one of the respondents said he knew some of the RAC guys personally.

I sort of Like the Idea of How it was done, a group of Amateurs got together worked out the indifference's, ironed out the details, an got the job Done.

No memo's, No Inside Traffic, No trip to Buenos Aries... Got-R-Done.. LOL Grin

How the RAC HF Band Plan was developed

The HF Band Plan is a voluntary, gentleman's agreement, intended for the guidance of and observation by Canadian Radio Amateurs. Without these guidelines chaos would set in. The main mode of enforcement is peer pressure.

Industry Canada as a government department regulates the amateur radio spectrum. They regulate the frequencies and the bandwidth, but not the modes of operation within the amateur spectrum. A Band Plan (even though it is voluntary) is necessary for the guidance of the users.

The Canadian HF Band Plan was formulated by a committee of Radio Amateurs representative of a cross section of each geographical district. After a consensus was reached by the committee, the HF Band Plan was submitted to the Board of Directors of Radio Amateurs of Canada for approval.

The Plan was approved on July 22, 2008.

The HF Band Plan reflects the interests of Canadian Radio Amateurs, while taking into account the regional and international concerns of the International Amateur Radio Union. The plan addresses the needs of Canadian Radio Amateurs for a workable HF Band Plan.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015