The AM Forum
May 15, 2024, 08:17:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I thought this was interesting.  (Read 4086 times)
W1RKW
Contributing

« on: August 21, 2008, 04:10:34 PM »

I was out in the back yard today looking around and the sun hit at the right angle and I noticed a spider web from one of the dipole legs which is up about 35 or so feet stretching all the way down to my garden.  The strand was about 60 or so feet long angled at about 40 degrees up to the wire.  I took a picture of it but it didn't show up in the image otherwise I would have posted it.  I thought it was interesting that a spider could stretch such a long strand.  Now if I could utilize this little guy to string more wire.....

Bob
W1RKW
Home of GORT.
w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2008, 06:18:18 PM »

I was watching the Discovery channel a few months ago and they did a segment on some of the worlds strongest materials.  Turns out the spider web flax is stronger per size and weight than is carbon fiber.  Lots of research is being done to see if it can be synthesized.  If you could get that spider to support your dipole, it would probably stay up through the ice storms!

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
N8LGU

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2008, 09:22:15 AM »

I was told many years ago that they used spider web strands as the crosshairs in the Wild T-2 theodolite (classic high-end survey instrument). The reason was that under magnification induced by the eyepiece the spiderweb was perfectly smooth and appeared black. They are stronger than steel for their size.

"Rock Cave Dave"
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2008, 12:37:22 PM »

Isn't that what they make bulletproof vests out of because of it's strength?
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2008, 12:54:54 PM »

Maybe the spider saw a nice juicy bug it wanted for lunch and decided to eat out.
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2008, 12:57:19 PM »

"make bulletproof vests'

It's normally Kevlar.......  the bullet proof part isn't rally a good word, they are really bullet resistant....   The stuff the local PO wears are designed primarily to stop a hand gun round. The longer stuff will go through mast vests, i.e. a  30'-06 round will probably penatrate most common vests. This technology is evolving,, so what I say now may not be true in a few years...........  

fyi

http://www.galls.com/baintro.html

klc

What? Me worry?
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2008, 12:59:47 PM »

"make bulletproof vests'

It's normally Kevlar.......  the bullet proof part isn't really a good description, they are really bullet resistant....   The stuff the local PO wears are designed primarily to stop a hand gun round. The longer stuff will go through mast vests, i.e. a  30'-06 round will probably penatrate most common vests. This technology is evolving,, so what I say now may not be true in a few years...........  

fyi

http://www.galls.com/baintro.html

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015