The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 04:31:35 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Another Viking,,,  (Read 3331 times)
K7NCR
« on: August 20, 2008, 05:20:23 PM »

Another Viking, this time a I,,
http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Johnson-Viking-I-transmitter_W0QQitemZ110281616524QQihZ001QQcategoryZ4675QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Notice the internal shielding. I bet this one is very stout structuraly.
Norm K7NCR
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 07:43:37 PM »

It looks pretty good.  The layout is a bit different from my Viker II.

Ellen - AF9J
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 08:47:17 PM »

The Mod tranny case looks Cooked...the bid's way down...
WQ9E

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 09:25:02 PM »

Looks like this one had the Johnson TVI kit added so someone put a fair amount of work into it; my V-1 is the original without all of the shielding but fortunately TVI isn't an issue here with it.  When I bought my Johnson 6N2 it came with instructions for adding the TVI kit to the V-1 and modifying it to use with the 6N2 transmit converter and glancing at the instructions it would take most of a weekend to follow the procedure.

I love the V-1 cabinet style, mine is paired with my SX-28A and I think this is my setup with the most classic boat anchor look.  In my opinion for pure style points it would be tough to beat the SX-28 paired with an HT-4; I believe one of the older ARRL books reprinted an ad of this combination.

Rodger WQ9E
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 11:04:31 PM »

the V 1 has a spur in the RF driver section that makes a huge signal on TV channel 6. yeh it has the tvi kit added. only the 3rd one i've ever seen with same. that tx was very important to someone. They decided to fight rather than switch.

wonder how all the new digital stuff will be re TVI?

w8khk

This ham got his ticket the old fashioned way.

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 11:13:13 PM »

wonder how all the new digital stuff will be re TVI?

Derb, I have been wondering the same thing.  Kind of hard to tell right now, as most of the stations round here are low power digital until they shut down the analog in February.  In the old days of analog, it was often easy for the TV viewer to determine the source of the interference, with hams running AM and the voice and call coming into the speaker of the radio or tv.  But with digital, I wonder if they will have a clue that the hams are interfering???   Around here, almost everyone is on cable, and I have had no TVI problems running a gallon on sideband.  I expect very few people on cable will switch to off-the-air digital.  Most problems will probably be experienced in rural areas where cable is not available. 

I would sure be interested in contrasting opinions......

Rick / W8KHK  ex WB2HKX, WB4GNR
"Both politicians and diapers need to be changed often and for the same reason.”   Ronald Reagan

My smart?phone voicetext screws up homophones, but they are crystal clear from my 75 meter plate-modulated AM transmitter
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 11:39:03 PM »

Viking I is a good set. The 4D32 final can be had NOS Raytheon for $20-30. My mod iron looks like that, but never had a problem.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 12:23:57 AM »

I have the eyeTV 500 hd box. It hooks up to yer macintosh G5 or intel mac and runs off a antenna or clearQAM cable, but the cable is useless because they encrypt the cable signal.

I have a big combo TV ant @ 30 ft  with a mast mounted wineguard preamp with >22db gain on all bands, a 2000 ft ridgeline between me and the TV stations, 75 miles from DC and 75 miles from Baltimore. I get 21 stations. below abt 78% signal strength, the signal is gone and you get blocky artifacts in the video. at 74%, you get nothing. Wont even know the channel is there.

Since most analog to digital conversions are awful even when you TRY, I have high hopes that the ATSC tuners will not even notice obsolete analog radio signals coming from my Maul.
WD8BIL
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2008, 08:13:06 AM »

only the 3rd one i've ever seen with same.

Well Derb, ifn ya ever make it out my way you can see your 4th one. The Viking Bud has the kit on it.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2008, 09:04:06 AM »

Bud,

after my next MRI me and the wife are going to try to go hither and yon. mostly hither. I'm pretty frail at the moment, I need to get a bit more strength before travel. I would love to see the shack.  Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015