The AM Forum
May 02, 2024, 07:26:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Japanese Viking II??  (Read 12539 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2008, 06:23:48 PM »

hey man, you dont know. My wife might be freaky-deekey, the kind you dont take home to momma. It might be a freaky scene.

yah, right. what you said.  Roll Eyes
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: August 24, 2008, 11:24:40 PM »

I betcha that is a 'chinese' Viking 2 we supplied to the Nationalists in China during their fight with the Commies.

It looks like a normal Viking II that’s been spray painted sand yellow and has just had some Japanese labels stuck to it. It’s probably like one of those counterfeit antiques being sold by scam artists.

Either that or it’s the transmitter Emilia Airhart was made to use when she was pretending to be Tokyo Rose Grin

Gotta agree with Brian.  I think you guys are giving too much credit for a lousy paint job and application of Japanese labels.  Let's face it, many old Viking II's have less than perfect paint and many were re-painted by their owners over the years.  Some were meticulously re done, others just sprayed and dymo-labeled.   Looks like it did gather a lot of dust...probably been stored/set aside for many years.  It would certainly be interesting to know if it belonged to a JA ham or if it was pressed into some sort of pseudo commercial/government service.

73,  Jack, W9GT

I'm suspicious of the authenticity, but then I tend to be suspicious. Look where the fan is, then look at the picture behind the panel, no hole for the fan? But no one would go through all that trouble to cobble it up unless they were expecting big $$ from a gaggle of collectors which did not happen. Someone got a really good deal on that rig. Must be a Viking II with the 6146's, as the Viking I had a 4D32 or 829? Rectifiers have been pulled. The seller could have gotten more if he had cleaned it up inside, etc. but maybe it was not worth it.

less than perfect paint you say?
How about "purr-fect"? mine was a favorite of an outdoor tomcat and he used to back hisself up to it. This went on for years while it sat in the owner's garage (the wife left the door cracked so the nice kitty would have a place to sleep). I got it for $25 just because of the smell. It was realy crusty! That's all fixed now and clear coated, so the paint's real ugly and looks rusty, but is clean, smooth, and won't get worse. I added fans but did NOT cut holes even in this poor old clunker! The fans are in one side of the outer case and just remove the plenty hot air that builds up inside the beast. They run on DC made from the filament supply.

* jvik.jpg (29.98 KB, 325x183 - viewed 366 times.)

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2008, 11:28:23 PM »

mine was a favorite of an outdoor tomcat and he used to back hisself up to it. This went on for years while it sat in the owner's garage

Maybe the tomcat was an OO who preferred SSB?

Carl
/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2008, 12:04:35 AM »

First transmitter I've ever seen with a speaker...well at least a speaker grille.

You know what, I think it’s a fan not a speaker. Look closer. The top doesn’t have the normal ventilation holes either. It’s probably legit.

Take a look at the inside shots on the grille side. You see the screws pokong through but no hole in the sheet metal that a fan or speaker would need. Total rip=off...prolly from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-Military-Version-Hallicrafters-Model-S-20R_W0QQitemZ140261168944QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item140261168944&_trkparms=72%3A134%7C39%3A1%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Seems more like hack Resto'...
w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2008, 09:06:19 AM »

put another metal case there insulated from the floor with a metal pad there ... connect a few 100's volts between ... last time oo tomcat will back up to that ! ... beefus

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
KF8XO
THIS SPACE FOR RENT.

« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2008, 02:24:02 PM »

put another metal case there insulated from the floor with a metal pad there ... connect a few 100's volts between ... last time oo tomcat will back up to that ! ... beefus

That will release the "magic smoke" from ol' kitty kitty fer sher!
Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2008, 11:54:29 PM »

mine was a favorite of an outdoor tomcat and he used to back hisself up to it. This went on for years while it sat in the owner's garage

Maybe the tomcat was an OO who preferred SSB?

Carl
/KPD
Well.. one of the business ends of a tomcat does have as part of its features a section with a rather 00-ish appearance. Tomcats do prefer SSB slinking, sulking, brawling. But I couldn't comment further on Omekosan.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015