The AM Forum
May 04, 2024, 11:32:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Great primer paint for aluminum and one for plastic - reference  (Read 5696 times)
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« on: August 05, 2008, 05:43:15 PM »

Hi all,

Over the years, painting aluminum panels and hoping the paint will stick well has always been a challenge. The pros usually use a prep chromate conversion coating wash like Alodine or Chemfilm. There are also etching primers. 

Not long ago, "self-etching" spray can primers hit the market for aluminum or bare metal that work tremendously well. The other day I needed to paint some aluminum that would be exposed to a tough environment outdoors. The best spray can aluminum primer is sold by NAPA under the Dupi-Color label called a self-etching primer. It's # DAP 1690.  It's green. For aluminum, wash it with alcohol, rough it up with #220 sandpaper and then wash it again with alcohol so it's real clean. Spray on the self-etching primer, let it dry, then spray on anything you desire for the top coat.  Sticks like glue.

http://www.northernautoparts.com/ProductModelDetail.cfm?ProductModelId=15690

Now for another great product I just came across. Painting plastic is another challenge. Krylon has a new line of paints (with many colors) called "Fusion" paints using spray-cans.  These paints super-bond themselves into plastic so well that you can't even scrape them off with your fingernail when sprayed on PVC pipe, for example. Napa carries Fusion paints too.

http://www.freemansupply.com/KrylonFusionPaint.htm

Just wanted to pass these tips along since they are new to me and took some research to find. I'm in the process of building a homebrew sailboat, well actually a kayak/ cat  with outriggers, two sails and daggerboards. The aluminum and plastic paint was needed to dress things up, caw mawn.

Later -

Tom, K1JJ

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2008, 09:26:26 AM »

Thanks for the info on the primer Tom.

Ive been using Fusion for several months, based on reports elsewhere, and its as good as you say. Also available at Wal Mart.

Carl
KM1H
K1MVP
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2008, 09:47:54 AM »

Tom,
 Looks like a good alternative for the self etching primer I have been using(for years),-- SEM
 brand automotive primer.
 It is a good primer, but at 13 bucks a can,--your suggestion on the dupli color primer
 looks good, especially at only 5 bucks a can.

Thanks for the info, Rene--K1MVP 
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2008, 02:32:51 PM »

For the financialy challenged or just plain cheap among us  Grin wiping the aluminum with lemon juice creates an etch. Also a ride in the dishwasher with original Cascade does well. With either method final clean as Tom mentioned. And do not touch any surface to be painted

Ive used both methods with excellent results on Heath cabinets, rack panels, chassis, and automotive items.

Then use any decent grade primer as well as some paints that do not require a primer.

Carl
KM1H

K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2008, 04:17:57 PM »

For the financialy challenged or just plain cheap among us  Grin wiping the aluminum with lemon juice creates an etch. Also a ride in the dishwasher with original Cascade does well. With either method final clean as Tom mentioned. And do not touch any surface to be painted

Ive used both methods with excellent results on Heath cabinets, rack panels, chassis, and automotive items.

Then use any decent grade primer as well as some paints that do not require a primer.

Carl
KM1H

Hi Carl,

Nice to hear from you after a long while.

Interesting on the lemon juice and dishwasher comments. I'll bet that 409 cleaner would work too, but never tried it.  There's so many tricks and shortcuts to save money, it's amazing.  I'm finding this out all over again by making nice looking crafted pontoons out of 4" pvc pipe and using inexpensive Poly-Tarp to make Polynesian style crab-claw sails.  No need to get sucked into the top dollar marine prices.

Are you on 75M AM? What are you running these days?  Is that a pair of 304TL's in your avatar?   

I hope to get back on actively in the Fall after the sailing season is over.

Later -

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
KM1H
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2008, 06:00:04 PM »

I got active again early last year Tom. Between turning the hot rod and customs shop into a regular business when I retired and doing consulting R&D for a couple of former employers Ive been straight out.
I dont hit 75 that often but do swing there once in awhile. Mostly on 40-20 AM during the day and some 160 at night. Some 6&2 with the Cleggs.

Been accumulating and restoring several BA receivers and a few transmitters.

The one usually used is a Viking I into parallel and bandswitched 250TH's with 304TL modulators. Ive no interest in plug in coils or open wire feeders Grin. Also have a Meissner EX Signal Shifter into 813's with 810's audio that is used on 10/15, there was AM up on both bands yesterday.

Sounds like youve really got into the sailing, sounds like fun. I get my kicks running nostalgia drags at the NE Dragway but my interest and time runs in spurts Undecided

There are many natural and other products that will etch aluminum. Bletchleys whitewall cleaner and several wheel cleaners work. Alodine isnt an etchant but it does provide a good bonding layer for a standard primer or paint. Its available at general aviation shops at small and medium size airports at reasonable cost if you plan to do a lot. Bring your own gallon container.

BTW, is Chuck still around? Havent run across him. We used to do Mexican regularly with a few others and often get kicked out Roll Eyes Ive toned down a lot once I hit 60.

Carl
KM1H
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 10:52:27 AM »

I have not been so religious about aluminum. I have been rough sanding it, cleaning it with dishwasher detergent, trying not to touch it and just hitting it with Krylon primer. I bake this on for 15 minutes. Then I use the same Krylon type of paint over top and bake between coats. Seems to stay put. This is a little headphone amplifier project which I used Krylon Rust Tough enamel primer and Krylon Metallic enamel.

Mike WU2D

* BooAmplifier.jpg (287.37 KB, 2198x1682 - viewed 543 times.)

These are the good old days of AM
KB2WIG
Contributing

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2008, 12:36:30 AM »

does he/she try to sit on the pwr supply whan its cold in the shack?

klc

What? Me worry?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015