The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 09:06:42 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Kenwood 430 probs  (Read 5148 times)
K9ACT
« on: August 09, 2008, 12:56:18 AM »

For now I am stuck riceboxing it on 20 but I am having a problem with it that maybe someone else has an idea on.

It works fine driving the SB200 in the usual way but I want to use my souped up S40 as the receiver so this means another antenna relay and a DP PTT switch.

I rigged all this up but when I key the transmitter, it's lights out.  Just a click in the TS430 and everything go black. If I let it sit for a while and then turn it on, it functions as normal.  I don't know if it has anything to do with the setup because it does this now and then under different circumstances.

For example, using it to drive the 811 rig, it has done the same thing when testing it out.

I think the normal over load protection just shuts down the transmitter and does not turn off the lights.

Anyone have any ideas here?

js
Jim, W5JO

« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2008, 06:11:37 AM »

I am not quite clear on what overload circuit you are speaking about Jack.  The TS 430 only has a reflected power shutdown circuit, but it shouldn't kill the radio.  If the radio goes dark then could the problem be the crowbar in the PS?
N8LGU

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2008, 08:25:41 AM »

Jack, I had a similar problem with my IC-751A about 10 years ago. Turned out after much troubleshooting that I had a small oxide layer on the power connection of the molex type connector on the back of the rig. I just resoldered the connections and all was corrected. Hope yours is as simple as that. Love your telescope. I have a little Meade ETX-90.

"Rock Cave Dave"
WBear2GCR

Brrrr- it's cold in the shack! Fire up the BIG RIG

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2008, 10:04:58 AM »

Let's trouble shoot it a bit.

Works ok with amp in bypass or with the amp bypassed?

What is the keying voltage of the amp?
Which circuit key's what circuit - what kicks in first?
Maybe you want to key the Dowkey and have that key the rig and/or the amp? (etc.)
Sometimes the timing is important.

Set the 430's carrier control to no output, and key it?
Then gently up the carrier level - see what happens?

In SSB mode?

Try it with the amp set for no HV being  keyed?

Try it without the receiver connected?
Remove the extra relay (is it wired properly?)? Try it that way?

_-_-bear

_-_- bear WB2GCR                   http://www.bearlabs.com
AF9J
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2008, 12:47:27 PM »

Hi Jack,

Are you sure it isn't RF Feedback related?  I had a similar situation with the FT-897D I used to own.  It worked fine on 40m at QRP power levels, but turn it up to full power, and it would cut out on certain 40m freqs.  How is your TS-430 barefoot on AM without the amp in line?  Does it still kick out?  How is it like into the SB-220 with its power turned down to say 5W of carrier?  If it cuts out even with the amp out of the circuit, then you may have stray RF getting in the TS-430 itself.  If it cuts out with the amp connected up, even at lower power levels, it could be that RF is getting into the feedline between the amp and the radio, fooling the SWR protection circuitry into thinking there is excessive SWR, and shutting down the TS-430.

Ellen - AF9J

P.S. - living in a 2nd story apartment, I was only able to alleviate (never eliminate) my stray RF issues on 40m

P.P.S. - it was nice to run into you at Harry, N9CQX's AM Hamboree
K9ACT
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2008, 01:35:17 PM »

Thanks for all the ideas.  I identified with the bad connections to the power supply.

Rather than do it scientifically, I just pulled the DC plug out and in a few times and started in fresh.

Got it set up the way I wanted and had a few QSO's on 20 this morn with no problems.  Made another AM convert and chatted with W9AD.

If it comes back, I will put a meter on the pwsup output.

Thanks,

js

p.s. to Ellen.... tis fun to put faces on voices, isn't it.

K9ACT
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2008, 01:28:23 AM »

No such luck.  It just happened again when I tried to drive the 811's with it.

I just let it sit and put volt meter on the back of the supply and got zilch.  Of and on again and got 13V.

Keyed it again and out it went and back to zilch.

Something strange in the supply.

I spent half an hour on the air driving the Sb200 with no problems until I got bored and went back to playing with the 811 rig.

No idea what this has to do with the supply but that's where it's at.

js
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2008, 01:34:08 AM »

check for RF getting into it.

thats whats happening to my ac wiring  - tripping he GFI breaker over and over. breaker just shuts right off.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015