The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 01:44:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: talking head Robert Novak diagnosed with a brain tumor  (Read 4435 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:10:30 PM »

that guy that used to be on CNN's Crossfire and behind the CIA leak scandal - he's suspended all his work effective immediately, but released no other details.

obviously I'm more interested than most, but I thought I'd post it anyway. From the look on his face in the video I saw and the fact he's dropped all professional concerns in a day's time, I'd guess malignant stage 4 glioblastoma, which at his age is death.

I don't like the guy, but I sure dont wish this on him.
K6JEK
Contributing

RF in the shack

« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 08:17:58 PM »

Just last week he was involved in a hit and run.  Driving his black Corvette convertible (nice) he hit a pedestrian and kept going. A bicyclist caught up with him and pulled him over.  Novak said he didn't realize he hit the pedestrian. This seemed disingenuous since the guy wound up on the hood against the windshield. But maybe Novak was really out of it at the time.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2008, 09:08:28 PM »

he probably had what they call a absence seizure, where you simply blank out into space in your mind for a period of time. I've had a few of those according to my wife. I'm sure some of the posts I've made on this board have been made by me under such conditions. I go back and read them and they don't sound exactly like me.

it's like a time warp. you go bye bye and some time later could be seconds or some minutes you wake up and you're fine, usually you don't fall down or have any distress at all, and many times you remain able to partially function.  I'm betting thats what happened while he was driving. I guess he was like me, no signs of anything wrong at all before falling out.

In this case, he was driving when it happened. I'm sure he had no idea what happened re the pedestrian until he was told about it.
N0WEK
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2008, 12:43:17 AM »

he probably had what they call a absence seizure, where you simply blank out into space in your mind for a period of time. I've had a few of those according to my wife. I'm sure some of the posts I've made on this board have been made by me under such conditions. I go back and read them and they don't sound exactly like me.

it's like a time warp. you go bye bye and some time later could be seconds or some minutes you wake up and you're fine, usually you don't fall down or have any distress at all, and many times you remain able to partially function.  I'm betting thats what happened while he was driving. I guess he was like me, no signs of anything wrong at all before falling out.

In this case, he was driving when it happened. I'm sure he had no idea what happened re the pedestrian until he was told about it.

The accident is probably what got him diagnosed.

Diesel boats and tube gear forever!
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2008, 09:41:30 AM »

I don't change my opinion about someone often, and my opinion of Novak is that he was/is a bully who considered himself superior to those he had to suffer with breathing the same air as he did. 

the look on his face post diagnosis leads me to believe that he now gets it in the larger scheme of things. Nothing gives you a new attitude like being told you're a walking dead man.

You might change for worse or better, but you change. I'll be interested to see how/what he does now, especially his views on health care.  Once you're in the "Kancer Klub" you assess yourself and others through a new prism that doesnt quite show the same colors everyone else see's or that you used to see.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2008, 02:11:59 PM »

I don't change my opinion about someone often, and my opinion of Novak is that he was/is a bully who considered himself superior to those he had to suffer with breathing the same air as he did. 

the look on his face post diagnosis leads me to believe that he now gets it in the larger scheme of things. Nothing gives you a new attitude like being told you're a walking dead man.

You might change for worse or better, but you change. I'll be interested to see how/what he does now, especially his views on health care.  Once you're in the "Kancer Klub" you assess yourself and others through a new prism that doesnt quite show the same colors everyone else see's or that you used to see.

I have followed Robert Novak's work for years.  You are confusing "bullying" with the arrogance of thinking you're right.    As for health care, he can afford the best; his attitude towards it won't change (much).   As an ideological conservative  he will stick to his principles to the end.

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2008, 05:42:55 PM »

One can be right without the cloud of arrogance dispersing the clarity of their positions.

My guess is his arrogance will be brought down a few notches. When he starts drooling and having seizures he will not worry anymore bout his public or private persona. He'll just want peace and hope for freedom from pain. And just maybe regret some of his arrogance.
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2008, 07:28:52 PM »

that guy that used to be on CNN's Crossfire and behind the CIA leak scandal

LOL. That's like saying Bob Woodward was behind the Watergate scandal.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 02:04:21 AM »

well, I was kinda using shorthand to save time.
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2008, 08:53:03 AM »

One can be right without the cloud of arrogance dispersing the clarity of their positions.

My guess is his arrogance will be brought down a few notches. When he starts drooling and having seizures he will not worry anymore bout his public or private persona. He'll just want peace and hope for freedom from pain. And just maybe regret some of his arrogance.

Derb,

You make some great points and provide a perspective we can all learn from. Thank you.

I was always struck by the transition of Lee Atwater who was the admitted architect of many of the negative campaigns and harsh political tactics in the 80s including the spreading of unflattering rumors and working to drive up opponents' "negative" poll numbers.

Around the age of 40 he was struck with a brain tumor. Shortly before his death he  issued a number of public and written letters to individuals to whom he had been opposed during his political career, In one  he stated,  "my illness has taught me something about the nature of humanity, love, brotherhood and relationships that I never understood, and probably never would have. So, from that standpoint, there is some truth and good in everything."

In a February 1991 article for Life Magazine, Atwater wrote:

"It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don't know who will lead us through the '90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul....
(Much of this is from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lee_Atwater)

Keep reminiding us of what we can learn and keep up with your great projects, health wise and BA!

Carl /KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2008, 11:06:09 PM »

I will Carl, I really enjoy sharing with everyone here.  Smiley
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015