The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:34:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Johnson Ranger  (Read 5005 times)
VO1GXG
« on: August 02, 2008, 12:23:02 PM »

It took a while but i finally got a AM transmitter. A Johnson Viking Ranger in nice condition, It just needs restoration and i should be set. I have not put it on a variac to see what kinda working condition it is in and i doubt i will just yet. Only thing i need now is a decent receiver , all i have is a Hallicrafters S-38B and a Hallicrafters S-85. The total cost i paid for the Transmitter $0.00  Cheesy

Matt. VO1GXG

W1EUJ
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 12:32:28 PM »

Good find!

I usually don't apply power until all electrolytic caps are replaced, and don't do more then testing until all paper caps are replaced. While it seems costly, it is less than replacing a smoked transformer or coil. Though Digikey or Mouser, I spend about $20 - $25 on replacement caps at most. For radios I really care about, I'll check relay function, some resistance measurements, tuner lube application, etc before powerup. But, I'm a cautious guy that doesn't get on the air much, to take my advice FWIW.

David Goncalves
W1EUJ
AF9J
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 12:37:48 PM »

Nice score on the Ranger!  Those things fetch a hefty price nowadays.

Ellen - AF9J
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 01:12:51 PM »

(deleted illegible wierdness ) ok little better now. gotta not post too soon after drug taking time.

nothing arong with a halli s 85, use it. more later when drugs wear off some more.

Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2008, 08:22:40 AM »

Hello Matt,
              Man, have you come a long way my friend! Congradulations on the acquisition of the Johnson Ranger. They're very fine transmitters that are much in demand. You were lucky to "score" one, especially for the unbeatable price you mentioned! In my opinion, they sound terrific as is, and I wouldn't do any audio mods to it until you have it for a little while and get some use out of it. Yes, like other similar transmitters, they can be made to sound better, but IMHO, I'd leave the audio section alone if all is working well. If you have a crystal head D-104 microphonium, that would be a plus, since they seem to like that particular one.

Like Dave Goncalves, W1EUJ mentioned, don't apply any plate voltage to it until the power supply electrolytics have been replaced. They're just an accident waiting to happen! With that re-stated, you'll be able to get replacements from any reputable electronic mail houses here in the states, or I believe there is one near Toronto that may be just as good (the name escapes me at the moment).
IF ALL ELSE FAILS with trying to find replacements, email me at: n3ibx@verizon.net. I'll put my new electrolytics where my mouth is - hi! and help you out with them.

Let us know what antenna you have, and if you have a ATU, or antenna tuner. Regarding a rx to mate it to, like someone mentioned, the Hallicrafters S85 you have will work just fine.

Do you have a T-R Switch, or "Dowkey"? You'll need one between your tx and rx to work off the same antenna. If not, you'll need a seperate receive antenna for your receiver.

The best of luck with your acquisition Matt, and like I previously mentioned, you've really come a long way! I think I can mirror the statement of a lot of other people in saying that we're proud of you, and definitely hope to work you on the aether in the very near future.

I've known and have corresponded with Matt for a few years via association with him on the "Antique Radio Forum". I've seen him go from a "AA5" tube jockey to getting his Amateur license, and am glad to see his desire to be "one of us". Now we have to talk to him on the air!

I think you'll find the commaraderie among us who operate AM to be second to none, and you'll make many real friends on the air.

Very Best Regards,
                        Joe Cro N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:28 AM »

Second, Third and Forth'd the Motion...Welcome Aboard OM. Smiley
VO1GXG
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 09:05:45 AM »

Thanks fellas ! Apperciate the good comments  Smiley

I have got the TX on the bench no going some recapping and tube testing. I am using a  80M/20M dipole that is tuned so i don't need a antenna tuner as i have been told before " The best antenna tuner has blue handles " but i do have a tuner in the shack if i need it. as for a dowkey i don't have one but will be looking for one on ebay and swap shops.
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 11:13:26 AM »

Excellent score, Matt!  I have  four of those beasts! 

If you're  really stuck for a Dow-Key relay (or an Advance - same thing), let me know. I have a few spare that I can let you have.

Check out the Ranger Mods on the AMWindow: http://www.amwindow.org/tech/htm/mods.htm

Also,  The TimTron Ranger mods: http://www.frn.net/tech/mods/vikingranger/
also  the W3AM mods too:  http://www.w3am.com/ranger.html

Good luck!

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
W1EUJ
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 02:02:13 PM »

I have to second what Vortex Joe said - unless you are VERY confident of your skills, making audio mods AND restoring a radio at the same time is not the best approach. Its good advice.

VO1GXG
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 02:13:12 PM »

Well the point of restoring something is to bring it back to orignal  Wink i won't be doing anymods. it will be 100% original right down to the colour on the tube numbers  Grin
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2008, 02:22:23 PM »

Well the point of restoring something is to bring it back to orignal  Wink i won't be doing anymods. it will be 100% original right down to the colour on the tube numbers  Grin

Matt - Way to go dude!

Just remember that even though you plan to restore it, there's nothing wrong with making it "sing for it's supper" to earn a rightful place in the V01GXG stable of radios. We want to hear plenty of you and it on the aether!

Mod-U-Later,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2008, 08:40:33 PM »

Excellent score on that Ranger.  They are nice rigs and there are a lot of expertise here to help you get it running. 

On your reveivers, if you take the S-85 and add a little regeneration to one of the IF stages, that will help with the selectivity.  I have one, and it was pretty BROAD.  I could monitor 3870-3890 with it!!   
Anyway, just run a wire from the grid pin of the IF tube to somewhere near the plate lead and twiddle till it perks up.  That will help some and is fairly easy to do.   Otherwise you're going to be limited come when things get busy and the slopbuckets play.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015