The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 08:17:01 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: unbreakable transistor for high-power AM  (Read 6565 times)
W7TFO
WTF-OVER in 7 land Dennis
Contributing

IN A TRIODE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOUR SCREEN

« on: July 26, 2011, 01:08:19 AM »

This is a prety cool progression of transistor technology... Cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ziYqjMQGEQ

Not that it warms the cockles of my heart, but it does have many applications today. Cheesy

In other words, it looks like a solid state device can stand up to the rigors tubes have traditionally done easily.

The BLF578XR is apparently not marketed yet, but it prolly won't be a long wait.

73DG

Just pacing the Farady cage...
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 01:30:57 AM »

Probably the one thing that does break is the wallet of the purchaser.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 03:12:43 AM »

These look very similar to previous issues selling in the $300 range, but at four times the power output (1.2kW per transistor), they may be a bargain if pricing is not scaled by the Watt.

73DG

K5UJ
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 06:25:08 AM »

I've heard estimates of $500 to $700 each.   I'm sticking with 813s $15 - $20 each,  4x1 $40 each...tubes are gg to be around for a while...

"Not taking crap or giving it is a pretty good lifestyle."--Frank
WD5JKO

WD5JKO

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 07:30:46 AM »

Freescale has some competing parts as well:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZF-FR8b71s&feature=related

and this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02v58cnb41o&NR=1

Looks to me that SS RF power is really progressing.

Jim
JKO

KA3EKH

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:40:24 AM »

Cool, thought maybe it has an internal ALC system but looking at the current that’s not apparent. High power MOS of the last ten years or so is generations ahead of the stuff produced in the eighties and nineties. I have worked with the all solid state Rhoades & Schwartz and Comark / Thales television transmitters for a while now and in almost ten years have not had one PA failure. Liquid cooling and power supplies fail, epically the big switching FET in power supplies but not the RF devices although I have never intentionally ran them into a open or shorted load. The Harris broadcast Z line of FM transmitters are designed around interchangeable universal amplifier cards and with four of those transmitters have never had one fail and we get lots of lightning strikes all the time. Same as above, stupid things like the power supplies and control systems fail but not the amplifiers. The Harris Z uses a crazy intelligent power supply that has SCR instead of rectifiers and multiple taps on a transformer with a controller located in the system control to select the correct tap and that’s how they do there regulation of the power supply. Each SCR has its own fuse at its fairly common for at least one in the hundred or so that’s in a 10k transmitter to be blown. To replace the fuses you have to remove the front panel of the transmitter, disconnect several cables including half a dozen double 0 gage cables and role the entire power deck out of the transmitter to get to it because it's always the fuse way in the back in a location that can only be reached with the most difficulty. The amplifier cards are all right under the front and back door and easy to get to, that’s why they never fail. Interesting also that the amplifier assemblies consist of two identical cards mounted on a heat sink between them and will work regardless of how you install them. Right side up or upside down. They fit and work in both directions. There, now you know way more than you ever wanted to about Z line transmitters.
Ray F

* wqhq3.JPG (50.02 KB, 845x476 - viewed 364 times.)
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2011, 10:39:14 AM »

I've heard estimates of $500 to $700 each.   I'm sticking with 813s $15 - $20 each,  4x1 $40 each...tubes are gg to be around for a while... 

Maybe before too long a few of those transistors will start appearing in discarded modules that show up as industrial surplus, as defective PC boards are tossed out, perhaps due to the failure of a minor component like a resistor. Less and less repair work is being done at the component level these days, and some companies might scrap and replace the entire module instead of repairing it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
WA1GFZ

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 01:17:21 PM »

Don,
Modules appear all over the place. I saw a bunch at Deerfield last spring.
I've been running a modified MRI amp for a while now and have a pair of 1.2 KW amps to build into a linear.  Even the older stuff MRF150s still work great.
Voltage ratings are going up and soon QRO will be easier.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:30:36 AM »

I'll stick with FQA11N90s at $4.00 each for now, although eventually there will be much better parts available at a similar price...... I could build a KW transmitter with the cost of the power I'd consume in 1 year if I ran a typical tube KW transmitter in my shack.  Yes, the power in my area is unbelievably expensive and I often have the transmitter on all day.  I got a $200 electric bill back in 1975 for *1 MONTH* (and power was much cheaper in 1975) when I was running my pair of 304TLs modulated by 833As.  This is what started me on looking for a far more efficient alternative to high power AM - and one that, when I was not transmitting, would consume virtually no power.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
W7TFO
Contributing

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 03:13:24 AM »

Good point on the op cost.  It could be a dealbreaker in the QRO choice for many less-monies of us. Sad

73DG

w4bfs
W4 Beans For Supper
Contributing

more inpoot often yields more outpoot

« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 07:56:17 AM »

I saw that it was liquid cooled and I wonder how this constrains (coolant temp) the application ... electromigration is still electromigration

Beefus

O would some power the gift give us
to see ourselves as others see us.
It would from many blunders free us.         Robert Burns
N4LTA
Contributing

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2011, 09:32:10 AM »

Steve beat me to it. There is a $4 x 8 SS alternative to 813s for RF and it's 20% more efficient.
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 01:22:00 AM »

Steve beat me to it. There is a $4 x 8 SS alternative to 813s for RF and it's 20% more efficient.

The RF efficiency when transmitting is definitely more efficient.  But, it's the OVERALL efficiency that really makes a solid state transmitter the winner.

Let's say you're on the radio for 5 hours some night.  This is not atypical - at least not around here  Cheesy  Let's say you're running a KW output with a pair of 4-400s modulated by 833As.  The RF driver is a Valiant and the audio driver is a pair of 2A3s with tube rectifiers, etc.

The RF amplifier tubes use 5 volts @ 14.5 amps each - so that's 5 volts @ 29 A for the RF amp.  The modulators are 10V @20A (for both tubes).  Then there's the Valiant - let's say it consumes about 100 watts in standby.  That is probably being very optimistic, but what the heck!  We'll say the audio driver uses about the same.  So what's the stand by power budget? 

145 watts for the RF finals.  200 Watts for the modulators.  200 watts for the RF and audio drivers.  So we're burning up about 545 watts *IN STANDBY*. 

You've consumed about 2275 watt-hours for doing nothing.  Transmitting power input is not included at this time.

Your solid state rig might consume 20 watts in standby, so you'll consume 100 watt-hours in the 5 hours you're on the air - when in stand-by.  Based on this along, the H.B. solid-state rig is 20 times more efficient, and I didn't add in the plate losses, etc... which will push the efficiency higher.

The difference is really quite amazing.

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015