The AM Forum
May 13, 2024, 11:41:51 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The APEX DT250 Digital TV Converter Box  (Read 2270 times)
steve_qix
Contributing

Bap!

« on: July 26, 2008, 11:43:07 PM »

I just picked a new Apex DT250 converter box to compare to my Insignia box.

The Apex appears to be very sensitive, and might deal better with dropout, although I have to run more tests.

The Apex has analog pass through and "smart" antenna support, along with an S video out, and some other nice features.

However, there is one GLARING problem - the picture in any zoom mode is DISTORTED with respect to the aspect ratio.  It's not horrible, but heads are noticable stretched.  A direct compare to the analog signal or to the Insignia box operating in the same mode reveals the difference quite nicely.

The Insignia box does not suffer from this problem.  The stretching is noticable on all stations with the Apex box.  This is in zoom mode, not "fill" mode - "fill" mode will obviously stretch the picture.  Some people might not even notice the picture stretching.  It is not immediately obvious, but after a few minutes of watching you realize everthing is just a little bit stretched out, vertically.  Then you really start noticing it!!

The stretching problem here is definitely a bug, or looks like one (maybe there's an adjustment??).

My question is this:  Does anyone else here have one of these boxes and if so, have you noticed the problem??  I'm wondering if there is an "adjustment" inside the box.  Hate to open it, since I can't return it if I do (there is a seal across the junction between the top and the side of the box).

Nice box otherwise, but the picture distortion is a show stopper.

Regards,

Steve

High Power, Broadcast Audio and Low Cost?  Check out the class E web site at: http://www.classeradio.org
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015