The AM Forum
May 28, 2024, 06:31:08 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dumpster Divin'  (Read 5977 times)
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« on: June 27, 2008, 06:44:29 PM »

Went to the dump and as always I rode slow by the place where the old electronic bits are left to die.

Usually I'm looking for old Tube TVs (yea they still show up, but rarely) for parts etc. 

Today I spotted a small letherette looking case. Turned out to be a small reel to reel recorder.

Played nice after I oiled it a bit.  Had a 7 inch real with hits from the 70's and 80's.
tube type too. neat little gizmo.

Not quite the Globe King or BC transmitter that I dream will be there, but nice...

would make a neat Automated CQ caller I suppose.  (how many hours on one 7 inch tape?)

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2008, 10:53:55 PM »

Bargain hunters in the toniest suburbs are pulling up in their cars to pick through their neighbors' trash and making off with everything from Weber grills to valuable old books. The competition has become fierce for "shopping" at the dump.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91975541

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 10:48:05 AM »

yea, funny.  Used to be that I would see folks like me (beat up pickup working class) at the "recycling Center" picking through the stuff.  Now I see High end SUV's and people who obviously have cash picking through too.
Or maybe they're just looking for stuff to sell on the bay for GAS money!!

I guess trash picking is becoming more stylish these days.

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2008, 06:00:06 PM »

It's amazing some of the stuff they throw away in some of the "high-end" communities.  Like hamfest  flea markets, the things I particularly keep an eye out for when dumpster diving is high quality items that are no longer available new at any price.

I have heard stories from US military personnel who were stationed in Germany in the 1960's, when the Germans were on this kick for "new" stuff, and were piling well cared-for antique furniture kerbside on rubbish pick-up day.  They laughed at the "stupid Americans" who would stop and pick through the trash and pull out these items.  Now, many of these same volks are expressing regret for having trashed these irreplaceable treasures to make room for 60's-ugly junk.

Reminds me of hams who now express regret for having trashed, sold or given away their built-like-a-brick-shithouse homebrew rigs during about the same era, to make room for their new Swans, Galaxies and Heathkit Hotwater rigs.

Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 09:04:55 PM »

Ah, but for a stereo Leica...

Ich bien ein Photographer.

RICK  *W3RSW*
ab3al
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 09:50:14 PM »

Ah, but for a stereo Leica...

Ich bien ein Photographer.

redneck dickshonary says that there means

it has been in a photograph

or

itchyban sure is got purdy pictures in that their menu

which is your inteded meaning
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2008, 08:18:55 AM »

THe sad thing is that actual dumpster diving is now illegal in many places.  Too many cyperpunks going thru trash to steal information, rather than score goodies.

The Carroll Cty landfill has a shed where, if you have something halfways decent to throw away (ie a usable couch, computer, etc) you drop it there.  And anyone can pick stuff out of there.  The Frederick Cty (MD) landfill has no such thing, and you're prohibited from picking anything up there. 

Once when I was dumping some crap out there before I moved to Cuba, a 2-ton Goodwill box truck pulled up along side and a couple of guys started tossing TVs, furniture, toys, etc.  This was the "trash" donations disposal run, as they explained... some people are too lazy to bring trashed stuff to the landfill, and they donate to goodwill who must then pay to dispose of unsalable crap at the landfill.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008, 01:04:19 PM »

ab3al , hokay  Grin  As I recall Kennedy got caught up in same lingo trap but the crowd went wild anyway.

I am a redneck if'n you lookup whar I live.  Guess I can't escape it.

Anyway I have a friend in the 'East' Virginia who called the city to come an get the junk lined up along the curb.  They said " don't worry about it; call back tomorrow if it was till there".  Next day all the old couches and furniture, but one old pile of junk was gone including the slatted fruit box some junque was in. 

This is the way you do it now.  Just put it on the curb and presto... 
But I always thought the rat theory applied, sooner or later they start coming in the house if you throw out your garbage too close to the house.

Guess stuff's gone upscale nowdays.  Jes leave it on the curb.... 

RICK  *W3RSW*
Ed-VA3ES

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »

There is an upscale neighborhood here in Ottawa, where one can  often find  perfectly good microwave ovens, HiFi speakers, HiFi amps,  TV's,  perfectly good lawnmowers and snowblowers,   even nice furniture  just sitting at the curb.   Pickers in  pick-up trucks routinely trawl the neighborhood in the early mornings looking for such treasure. 

"There ain't a slaw-bukit inna worl, that kin jam me!!"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008, 01:55:54 PM »

THe sad thing is that actual dumpster diving is now illegal in many places.  Too many cyperpunks going thru trash to steal information, rather than score goodies.

At our local  landfill they have a sign that says "no scavenging".  I have a quarter-inch diameter steel rod, about 6' long with a hook formed at one end, to fish stuff out of the dumpster.  The attendants take a  very dim view of anyone climbing inside a dumpster to pull stuff out.  The liability issue, no doubt.

One day, the attendant yelled at me for fishing something out.  I told him that I am forced to pay a $5.00/month fee (that is added to everyone's electric bill in the county) to cover the cost of closing out the landfill once it is filled up, so if I find something, that is helping prolong the useful life of the landfill, and after paying that fee ($60/year), I would be damned if anyone was going to stop me from taking home something left there by someone else who didn't want it.  If he wished to call the sherrif on me, he could go ahead.  I would be long gone by the time a deputy arrived...  He just mumbled something under his breath and walked away.

No way I would leave something really worthwhile, such as a nice piece of antique radio equipment, antique ceiling fan, 75A-4, etc, because of some stupid "no scavenging" rule.  If they are really strict about it where you live, I suggest bringing along an assistant to distract the attendant's attention with some kind of silly question, etc, while you  grab the goodies.

Same for places that try to prohibit picking up stuff off the street on trash day.  Just look to make sure no-one in "authority" is nearby.  If someone is foolish enough to put personal  data out in the trash unshredded or otherwise destroyed, I don't have much sympathy for them when the information is stolen.

As far as I am concerned, anything left at a dump site or on kerbside is abandoned property, ripe for picking. If someone ever tries to stop you from dumpster diving, this would be my suggested response.

- - -
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2008, 02:43:18 PM »

In our town, we can only put stuff to the curb 12 hours before they pick it up and you need to call and notify them that your going to have stuff there. If I put something out for heavy trash curb-side pickup, I destroy it first. If it's gone before the trash truck comes along, I have a good laugh.

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2008, 11:17:54 PM »

If I put something out for heavy trash curb-side pickup, I destroy it first. If it's gone before the trash truck comes along, I have a good laugh.

What is the point in doing that, for God's sake?  If you no longer want it, and someone else might find a use for it, why go out of your way to deprive them of the possibility of recycling it for whatever use they might have for it?  I'm always delighted to see someone find some kind of use for stuff I throw away, although I must admit that nearly anything I throw away usually has already been reduced to pure rubbish of no conceivable use to anyone except perhaps for the raw material it was made of.

Why make it a point to promote the American throw-away mentality, which has a lot to do with why we are in the shape we are in to-day economically and environmentally.

- - -
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2008, 09:13:01 AM »

Don said:
What is the point in doing that, for God's sake?  If you no longer want it, and someone else might find a use for it, why go out of your way to deprive them of the possibility of recycling it for whatever use they might have for it?

He got what he wanted out of you Don.

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2008, 09:21:44 AM »

I recall finding an antique buggy lamp and nice old leather satchel sitting by the curb whilst walking home one night during college. Couldn't carry them then, so I went back after dark to snag 'em. Still have both, the lamp hangs in the carriage house.

Our landfill is the same way now, but for them it's more a case of feeling like they're losing money from scrap value. Had a deal previously to buy stuff from one of the workers if he'd set it aside for me, but the place (or running of) changed hands again recently.

Dumpster diving was big years ago at Deerfield. I still recall vividly the day I heaved an old Aerotron portable aircraft transceiver over the side of the commercial roll off dumpster by its 'E-Z Fling' handle, and heard a loud "OW!!! #$@%!&^*!!" as it ricocheted off the side and nailed someone. Apparently they were standing inside contemplating their find, because I did listen before heaving. After that I always made it a point to holler first.

Don said:
What is the point in doing that, for God's sake?  If you no longer want it, and someone else might find a use for it, why go out of your way to deprive them of the possibility of recycling it for whatever use they might have for it?

He got what he wanted out of you Don.

Hah! I was thinking the same thing! It seems Don, that you're not the only one who likes to toss out the occasional loaded post to get a response.  Pete is a master stirrer.  Grin

Then again, in today's PC world of litigation, there's always the issue of liability. That would be my excu...er...reason.  Wink

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015