The AM Forum
May 10, 2024, 07:17:50 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I posted more truth on ham radio  (Read 4464 times)
Burt
« on: June 24, 2008, 11:30:10 AM »

With positive remarks on AMers and others along with critical comments elsewhere
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4iN9lQ1r_E
K3ZS

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008, 12:43:55 PM »

You mentioned something about "my elmer" in your video, is this something to do with glue?   Why don't you say my radio mentor or something understood by normal people.   We all unintentionally speak some jargon, even you do.
Burt
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 04:02:36 PM »

You mentioned something about "my elmer" in your video, is this something to do with glue?   Why don't you say my radio mentor or something understood by normal people.   We all unintentionally speak some jargon, even you do.

You got me good, I should have explained it. I noticed it after I posted it and hoped some observant guy, like you would not catch it.
K3ZS

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 04:23:31 PM »

Interesting observations that you have made.   Glad you brought out some of the good things about ham radio.   Some of the silly jargon is from a long time ago, heard it when I got started 50 years ago.
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 10:23:54 PM »

Some expressions are more of a tradition, and retain their use and meaning only because of their history in an organization.  The navy and ships retain a lot of specialized expresions that were relevant in the old days of wooden ships and Iron men, but are now just used for traditional reasons.  A sense of history or a link to our past is not necessarily a bad thing.

But yea, it can confuse the unititiated sometimes.

Burt:
Nice job on the video production. Good to see the positives come out!

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
k4kyv
Contributing Member
Don

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 10:31:04 PM »

But "Elmer" is a johnny-come-lately expression, from some time in the 70's.  It is not part of the traditional amateur radio jargon that dates back to the early days.  To me, there is something dumb-sounding about it.

Don, K4KYV                                       AMI#5
Licensed since 1959 and not happy to be back on AM...    Never got off AM in the first place.

- - -
This message was typed using the DVORAK keyboard layout.
http://www.mwbrooks.com/dvorak
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 10:39:56 PM »

To me, there is something dumb-sounding about it.

Tune across any band. Most hams sound dumb.
N1ESE
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 10:45:58 PM »

Not sure if this is accurate but..

The term first appeared in the March, 1971 issue of QST magazine's "How's DX" column by Rod Newkirk, W9BRD (now also VA3ZBB). Newkirk called them "the unsung fathers of Amateur Radio." While he probably was not trying to coin a term at the time, here's how Newkirk introduced "Elmer" in his column and, as it turned out, to the rest of the amateur radio world: "Too frequently one hears a sad story in this little nutshell: 'Oh, I almost got a ticket, too, but Elmer, W9XYZ, moved away and I kind of lost interest.'" Newkirk went on to say, "We need those Elmers. All the Elmers, including the ham who took the most time and trouble to give you a push toward your license, are the birds who keep this great game young and fresh."
ka3zlr
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 05:42:51 AM »

....There's a Test....?.. Oooh No...Panic...we didn't cover Elmer and Fred... Grin..LOL...

Don'tcha just love the Dig-Me Video Society... Cool
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015