The AM Forum
May 09, 2024, 06:31:06 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: air compressor blew up in flames  (Read 3361 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: June 08, 2008, 05:58:16 PM »

I got a porter cable air kompressor which worked ok fine for 2 years, yesterday it comes on, the motor bogs down, and flame and smoke start coming out. The motor inside appears to be toast. When these things go boom are they normally repaired or are they considered disposable ?

There's a excellent electric motor repair place called Beidler's I could take it to, but I dont know if I should go that route or just get a new one.

I Think I paid around 200 bucks for This one. 150 PSI. I cant imagine going without one now.
flintstone mop
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2008, 06:28:37 PM »

I think you gotta toss the P.O.S. You can get those reasonable ones for around $70 from Harbor Freight.
THey are nice for blowing out evil dust from electronics. NOT computers!!! The air spray can cause ESD and bye bye little static sensitive chips.

Phred

Fred KC4MOP
kb3ouk

The Voice of Fulton County

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2008, 08:32:28 PM »

That's what I use an air compressor for, blowing dust out of radios. Fred, you still interested in taking a look at that FT-101? It started acting up again when I went to switch it to 10 meters and now it won't transmit again. I think the finals are shot, cause whoever put finals in it last put GE tubes in it but didn't change teh caps in the neutral izing circut.
Shelby KB3OUK

Clarke's Second Law: The only way of discovering the limits of the possible is by venturing a little past them into the impossible
KL7OF

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 11:31:33 AM »

Derb.......It seems like a lot of your stuff is blowing up lately.......smoke and flamage all over.......sorry to hear about your troubles but,    do you have some sort of power mains problem at your place?  Over voltage?.....Under voltage?.....groundage leakage???...maybe just coincedence.......and you are right that it is difficult to live without compressed air....gud luk.....
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2008, 02:50:31 PM »

I been fighting a lot of problems for months. Some of it is just me and how well I am ( or not ) - some of it is having to start out out from scratch all over again having no tools or parts, some of it is $$$ related. I have to be babysat 100% of the time and cant be left alone, so anywhere my wife goes i have to go, or i have to go down to my dad's house for 2 days so he can watch me. When I'm not here, I cant work on anything.

I'll get through all of it. by the time late summer rolls in, all the gear here should be pretty well bulletproof and ready to squish slopbuckets with all fall and winter.

Opcom
Patrick J. / KD5OEI
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »

Possibly the Kompressor part is ceramic type? those can bust and fragment. Nothing is made worth a crap any more except what costs big bucks.

Radio Candelstein - Flagship Station of the NRK Radio Network.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2008, 12:20:11 AM »

it was a Porter Cable. supposed to be good brand. lasted 14 months and of course it has a year warranty. I set it out on the curb. I already have too much on my hands.

god I miss not being able to blow crap off the workbench like drilling and blasting fragments, etc...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015