The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 03:40:58 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Air Show in Pittsburgh Today  (Read 5078 times)
ka3zlr
« on: May 10, 2008, 06:03:55 AM »

Mornen Group,

The 911th Air Wing is having an open house per say anyone attending today...it's usually a good time...out at Pitt Airport...

http://www.wingsoverpittsburgh.com/
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2008, 10:47:15 AM »

Yeah, saw a clip y'day about the airshow on "Pittsburgh Today"  ch. 2 or 4, can't remember which.  On cable in Clarksburg/Bridgeport here.

Hope the wx clears up and you make it out to the airport. Understand the parking is off Biz 60 and well marked.  Maybe up where the old term. bldg. was?.. (rhetorical.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
ka3zlr
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2008, 09:08:42 PM »

Howdy Rick,

It started out a little bleak and damp then cleared and shined OM... Parking was there at a slight challenge, they blocked certain accesses, that's to be expected though.

Security was great and very visible, no blue angels but a small Canadian outfit was present all prop. Two Raptor F-22's on site and a C-5 assorted WW II prop jobs B-17 B-25 ...a Very Cherry F-4U Chance Vought Corsair Gull Wing... there was a B-52 on station it looked worn out... the old girl looked a l'il rough Rick...and a few F-16 F-18 all in all a very nice Small show ...Not to bad OM...

Almost forgot Rick, every military service man or woman I came in contact with, I gave a very brisk hand shake and the YL's got a very Fatherly Hug from me and a Thank You...for your Service...that is Important i think...

W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2008, 02:27:19 PM »

F4U huh; well.....

Sounds like you had a good time.   I thought about coming up but didn't clear up here until later.  Oh well, never trust the WX channel.

Great that you honored the U.S. Military Service people.

Last air show I went to was Oshkosh '03 as you can see Grin

* RSW&F4U 6x6.jpg (89.4 KB, 640x630 - viewed 335 times.)

RICK  *W3RSW*
WA1GFZ

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2008, 06:14:49 PM »

I've never see an F22 full up but the guts looked pretty good on the production floor. I worked with one of the test drivers in LA. Those guys have 3 BAs and are good people. I've seen movies of engine tests and they make a nice blue hot flame. 
ka3zlr
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2008, 06:29:22 PM »

Well the Raptor's design package is geared for Stealth and Super Cruise, what performance characteristics it displayed yesterday was on the same level as the Hornet that flew...that i noticed...it did do a rather impressive 180 out of vertical that was interesting though, we couldn't get up close enough to notice if it had Exhaust Vectoring...or not...and I don't know for sure if that one had that...i do know that it does have a far advanced Avionics package, multi-element fighter attack system that's supposed to be out of this world...

But hey for the price Tag..?
WA1GFZ

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2008, 08:49:57 PM »

F22,If you have to ask the price you can't afford the best. Motor 2-P&W F119
F18 is a toy compared to the F22.........but I'm a real fan of the F14. I've seen the F14 drive vertical out of a hammer head stall.
 (Navy needs a F22 type plane to replace the F14) F18 is so yesterday.
F4U nothing like the sound of a P&W WASP sept 4 of them on a B17.
ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2008, 08:42:39 PM »

Well there are many variants Frank i was hoping to see the "Vertical" Series of that Air Frame But not to be had there, Man I wanted to see the cowling open up so bad and watch a vertical lift off... Grin just like a Harrier....

Ah well maybe next time.... Cheesy
WA1GFZ

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2008, 09:00:20 PM »

The F22 has only one mode, kick ass
You are thinking of the F35 JSF STOVL powered by a single P&W F135
I was happy to see Tom Morgenthal get first ride in that one so he got the big check. Good guy. He drove the F117A.
I don't think you will see the F35 plane for a couple more years. It is quite the machine with the big fan in the center and the tail pipe that looks like a big stinger.
The local base here is Barns. They swapped out the A10s for F15s I'm hoping they rock the neighborhood once in a while.
ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2008, 09:04:54 PM »

LOL..Yea that's the one Single engine I think... I seen pics of it..Awesum....

Big Toys.... Grin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015