The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 10:43:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Does MIT have an Amateur Station in Service...  (Read 4553 times)
ka3zlr
« on: July 03, 2008, 05:55:35 AM »

Something I've often thought about,

How about State College, anybody keep in touch with their college stations..?

Any thoughts on this.

AF9J
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 06:55:35 AM »

I don't know about MIT or Penn State, but I know that my old alma mater's club (the University of Wisconsin  ham club - Badger Amateur Radio Society, callsign W9YT) is still active to some extent.  They had a table at the Madison/Stoughton hamfest, I went to in April.   I even stopped to chat to some of the club's members.  I told them I was a school and club alum. I asked them if they still had the old homebrew kilowatt 3-500Z amp that was a part of the station when I was there.  Yes, they still have it.  One of the members manning the table, was a young woman, who was a Tech licensee.  She looked even geekier than I looked when I belonged to the club.

Ellen - AF9J
W1RC
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 08:16:44 AM »

The Massachusetts Institute of Technology Radio Society, W1MX, and the MIT UHF Repeater Association are the radio clubs at MIT in Cambridge MA.  There is also the MIT Electronics Research Society.  These three clubs, along with the Harvard Wireless Club, sponsor an excellent Swapfest on the third Sunday of each month, April through October.

http://web.mit.edu/w1mx/www/swapfest/swapfest-2008.07.pdf

Sellers and "Early Bird" buyers get in at 7:00AM.  The general public is admitted at 9:00.  Its an extremely "geeky" crowd but interesting and fun. 

I have been going to the MIT Flea for over 20 years (seems like 25 now!) and have snagged many a treasure, including a complete TCS-12 station, brand new in the boxes, for $50.00, a nice late-model S-Line with 30L-1 for $800, a gorgeous Bausch & Lomb binocular microscope in the case for $35.00 and many other great "gets". 

The focus at the "MIT Flea "these days is, as you might imagine, test equipment, computer swill and general schmeg.  I don't see too many hams there anymore but I still go every month mainly to sell stuff.  It's still a great flea.  Steve, W1GSL, and his volunteers do an excellent job of herding cats and keeping everyone as happy as can be reasonably expected.  Steve is a familiar face at the 'festers in the Northeast where he is seen passing out his famous New England Area Ham - Electronic  Flea Market list which is updated every fortnight.  It's an excellent resource and you may view it at this site:

http://web.mit.edu/w1gsl/Public/ne-fleas

I highly recommend the MIT Flea if you're anywhere near Cambridge MA on the third Sunday of the month because you never know what you will find there.....

I have never regretted going.

MisterMike, W1RC

"It is a good thing we don't get the government we pay for."  Will Rogers.
WU2D
Contributing

CW is just a narrower version of AM

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 06:14:15 PM »

When I was doing my last round of Chemo at dana Farber 4 years ago, a ham buddy (who took me down) being an MIT alum, convinced me to take a tour of the campus. Now I was not feeling so swift, but touring the MIT ham shack and pistol range and cool library in the round took my mind off things.

That place is engineering Mecca.

Mike WU2D

These are the good old days of AM
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 07:30:06 PM »

Well I'm very glad to read this, it's something that I've wondered about here and there, and FB on Keeping in touch...it's a good thing to do I think...

I'm Planing a trip down to the local college here with the middle daughter and have touched base with some of the River bunch near California Pa., and plan on doing a fact finding tour down there on this subject and I hope the out come is a Plus...see how Amateur Radio is being played there. And I may make a donation of sorts if needed, and lend a hand as needed..something I've been thinking about here...i know there is something of a station there, Now as far as any activity..eeh don't know...

Thanks for the replies...

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008, 07:46:56 PM »

A quick Google search on "college amateur radio" turned up 25,000 hits.

Here's one with a list:
http://www3.baylor.edu/BARC/Clubs.html

Google is your friend  Grin

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
w1guh
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 03:37:04 AM »

I spent many, many pleasurabe hours operating W1MX during my college days back in the mid to late 60's.  Don't know what they have now, but it's probably equivalent to what they had then...

75A4, 200V, 4CX1000A running practically Class A (idled at just under a KW), three elements each on 20, 15, and 10 (nine elements total at 120'), and open wire folded dipoles on 80 and 40 at 60'. Plus full teletype equipment.

Their hamfest is something that I should put some priority into attending...it'd be good to hook up with them after all these years.

k3sqp

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 01:17:13 AM »

Penn State    K3CR
Frank
K3SQP

hAM radio, The future is in the past...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015