The AM Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:02:06 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NEARFest Reports  (Read 16516 times)
WA1GFZ

« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2008, 04:38:27 PM »

Mark,
Yes, that is the place I bought batts. I guess I will keep them and return them next fest. I've never heard anyone complain about them. Maybe I will try a different charger and see what happens. As I said they were name brand batts but no date code.
W1DAN
Contributing

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2008, 01:09:01 PM »

Here is  Mike's Viking 1.75...

Dan
W1DAN

* IMG_8930sm.jpg (122 KB, 1408x1056 - viewed 470 times.)
W1UJR
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2008, 01:32:06 PM »

Thanks for the photo Dan, that rates most high on the "Buzzard Factor", most high indeed.

Am I to understand my esteemed colleague Mr. Nord passed up his chance to be the recipient of this object d'art?  Wink
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2008, 08:25:48 PM »

My Dear Mr Sun... er Howes

Having visited the shack, where would you suggest I place that radio.....
(A straight line if ever I heard one)

Perhaps if you had braved the elements it could have been yours

Carl/KPD

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
ka3zlr
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2008, 08:28:49 PM »

Hey hey hey....Look at Mikeys Viker...Kewel refurb...I like it...
W1UJR
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2008, 08:27:28 AM »

My Dear Mr Sun... er Howes

Having visited the shack, where would you suggest I place that radio.....
(A straight line if ever I heard one)

Perhaps if you had braved the elements it could have been yours

Carl/KPD

My dear friend Carl,

It it after much consideration that I make the following suggestions as a solution to your most unfortunate dilemma.

To wit, I saw a great array of furniture in the living room which appeared to be largely unused, and likewise note a considerable empty space in the garage.

Therefore, I would respectfully suggest that you may wish to consider moving said furniture from the living room into the garage. To do so you would accrue two benefits of great interest to any ham.

The first being proximity to the kitchen, and therefore convenient access to the cold 807 and sustenance supply ports. I remain uncertain as to the location of the discharge ports, but that is also an important consideration during old buzzard transmissions and after the consumption of multiple 807s which facilitate aforementioned transmissions.

The second benefit, nearly as important as the first, a ground floor hamshack that facilitates the moving and installation of future acquisitions and equipment, especially those of the large and heavy old buzzard construction. I'm certain you know the type, rack mounted, painted in black wrinkle, of the design which, while making the neighborhood lights dim, emits prodigious quantities of ozone and sparks, and from time to time will emanate poofs of upward curling smoke in conjunction with an acrid burning smell, affording you the rich opportunity to turn your on-air discourse to your latest "crap out".

I further believe, with careful and judicious planning, you may even be able to fit in a workshop and parts storage area, parts properly stored in old cigar and banana boxes of course, in front of those large doors which lead out to the deck. Think of the benefits of natural sunlight, and of course one may also wish to comment on activities outside, all the while emanating bodily noises on air in the fine tradition which has become the hallmark of quality AM operation.  Wink

In closing, I found your current layout far too neat and organized for any real radio operator, it is generally understood that serious operators and serious hamshacks resemble the likes of our other most serious esteemed colleague, with whom we visited during our brief sojourn in CT.  Shocked

73 -Dav Bruce K1Z W1UJR

PS - Heading down to check out the two Acadia 25s this Saturday, hitting the Cape first, and then on down to RI. Need anything from Maine?
Carl WA1KPD
Contributing

« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2008, 10:50:31 PM »

Good luck on Sat. Let me know.....

Carl

"Okay, gang are you ready to play radio? Are you ready to shuffle off the mortal coil of mediocrity? I am if you are." Shepherd
W1UJR
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2008, 10:54:54 PM »

Thanks, will do!

But what did you think of my suggestion?  Wink
WA1GFZ

« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »

Well if the fest was this weekend it would also be crappy WX. At least the rain moved out of Ohio for the fest.
WA1GFZ

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2008, 06:06:58 PM »

Well guys My problem wasn't the battery man but the camera. I have a Kodak just like Gary W2INR has. When they came out you could use two types of kodak batteries. Normal AA or rechargable. The kodak rechargable was always a hunk of junk. It had the capacity of a Prego woman's blatter.
I was at Home Depot Friday and bought a another set of NMH batts because my son needed to take some pictures for a school project. Friday night the same deal no charge. Well a long story short. The rechargable battery pack has a plastic frame between the two cells. When it is properly installed a small white switch is depressed in the battery cavity connecting the charger. I carefull cut the old cells out of the Kodak pack and installed it between the two new batteries. Slid them in and sure enough the charge light is lit. I'll make sure I tell the battery man the trick
the next time I see him. 
W1UJR
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2008, 10:43:24 PM »

Glad you found the problem Frank!
WA1GFZ

« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2008, 09:06:30 AM »

Yup,
This morning they were fully charged 2700 mah
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands