The AM Forum
April 29, 2024, 03:47:28 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Heath kit info needed...Viking II update..  (Read 2364 times)
K7NCR
« on: April 24, 2008, 12:27:55 AM »

Hi All! Hope the "spring" time find you all well! It's been cold and snowing every other day for about a week and a half so far. Sun, I need you!
I picked up a really clean Heathkit HD-19 phone patch off of e-pay. $12.44 to my door. It even has a decent coat of paint to match my "twins". I'm looking for a copy of the manual, if anyone has one. Also, I'm interested in using it to interface my computer sound card. I was told they can do that well with their isolation transformers and such. Any one here have any experience doing this? Any info would be appreciated!
On another note, I got the Viking II to make fire into a dummy load this weekend! The VFO I traded for works FB. Now just waiting for the ER mag reprints with K6AD Thomas Bonomo's articles on some improvements so I can finish up. I had a near disaster with the LV supply that almost cooked the filter choke. Melted wax city! Turned out to be 1 plate of the buffer variable cap loose and shorted to ground. I had done a replacement of all the paper caps, and figured I muffed one of those installs. At least I found it without too much trouble. The original builder of the Viking was not the greatest kit builder in the world. Many connections were poorly soldered, after WAY too many wraps of wire around the terminals. Makes unsoldering any item a chore. It seems He/She never cut off excess leads, just kept wrapping the extra wire around the terminals!
Well, good night for now!
73! Norm K7NCR
AF9J
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008, 10:51:31 AM »

Cool!  Good job Norm!  I think you'll like yours.  I sure like mine.  Of course, like you, I had my share of Hammy Hambone mods, that I had to undo.  For some reason, one of the leads on the filter caps was disconnected!  Go figure!

Ellen - AF9J
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015