The AM Forum
May 14, 2024, 10:21:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: I officially give up, the Gonset has beaten me down into the dirt  (Read 5471 times)
N3DRB The Derb
« on: April 11, 2008, 12:39:22 AM »

As much as I hate to admit it, I have been bested by a piece of radio gear. i just cant seem to make the Gonset work, and I need help. It's come to the point where I have to call in the reinforcements.

I cant carry this thing, it's just too heavy for me to carry more than a few feet.

I am offering a all expense paid trip to Charles Town with lunch or dinner at The Charles Town races and slots as time allows. I think the fixing is best done up here, as I may have a house wiring/grounding issue that needs to be checked. I dont want to get into the deal where the amp works fine somewhere else, but still does not work here in the shack due to some ac line weirdness.

The usual suspects, AKA the Slab Bacon and/or Johnny Novice, are most welcome at a date of their choosing when available.

It was Ralph, 3GL who finally convinced me to give up and let the real radiotricians handle this. so blame him.  Shocked

I am mortified.  Cry

I need a few days to wire the terminal board back in place and put the T/R relay back into place.

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 06:41:09 AM »

I'm happy to come over sometime soon, Tim.  Can't be this weekend; perhaps next?

Lemme check to see what our plans are for next weekend.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 08:15:00 AM »

I dont know when I can come up there. But if you can get one of your neighbors to put it into the truck for you so you can run it out to me, I would be more than happy to fix it while you wait. I should be able to redesign the keying circuit so it will work with anything. I would rather do it at my place where I have any part that may be needed. Any friday or saturday evening should be kool. Call me on the yellafone and I will tell you how to check your recepticles for a ground fauly.

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:46:22 AM »

Slab,

lemme see if I can get transport out to the truck, I may try one of those rig karts and roll it out there,  if so ok fine, but how are you gonna get it down the stairs? I cant help you, I can barely get myself down the stairs.

I'll need more than a few days to get it back together so you can take it from there.

I tell ya what, why dont we tag team this bitch. Novice, if you can come up next Saturday daytime, we can eat at the track and do some trouble shooting. If we cant get it in a few hours, We can load it in the truck and I'll take it over to Frank's late that afternoon.

How duz that sound to everyone?
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »

If you can find a way to get it into the truck, I can get it in and out of my basement. That wont be a problem. And....er.....furthermore, I can even test it with a FT-901!!

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 10:52:26 AM »

OK Slab, youse win. I gotta get this thing off my bench and on the air. I'll spend the day putting the term board back in it and the T/R Relay.

Can you be ready to go later tomorrow afternoon? I'll get help getting it in truck and we'll get there. Best Time?

Johnny, standing offer open anytime you wanna come up.
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008, 11:03:45 AM »

I will check with the war dept, but anytime afta dinner should be ok-fine. Call me later this evening to firm things up.

Be sure to bring the original T-R relay, the Gonset manwell and the 101 manwell.

N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008, 01:20:04 PM »

my phone with your number in it got ran thorough the washing machine and thrown away,  shoot me  a mail or PM with the number.

I will bring down the actual 101 in question.  Cheesy
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008, 05:55:05 PM »

ran thorough the washing machine

dude yer loosing yer hamfest creds with statements like that.  What hammy hambone uses a washing machine??

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:18 PM »

dont tell anyone.....but that's number 2 cellphone I ran through it, then wifey ran the old phone through.  Shocked

it was one of old brick style nokias worth 20 bucks at the most, so i just pitched it. Never got another phone.

I've run my billfold through a dozen times.

Wifey now does all laundry.  Sad
K1JJ
Contributing

"Let's go kayaking, Tommy!" - Yaz

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008, 08:12:54 PM »

dude yer loosing yer hamfest creds with statements like that.  What hammy hambone uses a washing machine??

HAHA!

Reminds me of the first time I met Johnny Novice down at Gaithersburg in the mid 90's. You shook my hand and introduced yourself as, "W3FSH."  It was routine until you followed it up with,  "that's W3 FAT SMELLY HAM."

Glad you and Slab are helping out the BJB with the Gonset linear.

I don't forget that there was a day when the Derb carried a DX-100 down the cellar stairs by himself and used to fix antique boat anchors full time for a living. A good man worth helping out to get back on the air, indeed. Derb, if I lived closer, you know I'd be there too, OM.

T

Use an "AM Courtesy Filter" to limit transmit audio bandwidth  +-4.5 KHz, +-6.0 KHz or +-8.0 KHz when needed.  Easily done in DSP.

Wise Words : "I'm as old as I've ever been... and I'm as young as I'll ever be."

There's nothing like an old dog.
N3DRB The Derb
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008, 08:27:09 PM »

The black james bond remembers the days.

I'm gonna work on getting my mad skillz back, M. Vu. More projects in the pipeline. I been gone a long time.
W2JBL

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:53:14 AM »

you had a good signal the other night with just 25 watts, Derb. the Gonset oughta' strap when you get it cookin'...welcome back!

"Never give up"- Count Basie
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008, 08:46:39 AM »

Ha! Good point, 'JN. Shouldn't every AMer, worth his salt, use a true BA washing machine? I mean, if you really wanna be seen as 'buzzardly' and all that....

We had several when I was growing up, the kind with the old wringer on top for squeezing the water out. Still recall seeing my oldest sister run her fingers through it, peeling back the skin and making her scream. Damn that was funny to a 12 yr old!   Grin

Derb has been back for a while, soon he'll be back even mo bettah..... 

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015