The AM Forum
May 16, 2024, 09:07:29 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: R-390A Local Gain  (Read 2873 times)
W7SOE
Contributing

« on: March 13, 2008, 05:56:33 PM »

Hello All,

My R-390A local gain does not go low enough.  If I turn the RF gain up all the way and the local gain all the way down, the volume is too loud.  I ohm’d out the LG pot to 2.3K, seems ok.  Oddly enough, when I grounded the wiper of the pot (with it turned all the way down soas to not smoke it), I still had audio output…….. Huh

Perhaps this audio “offset” is normal. I hope not.

Thanks

Rich
W2XR
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 07:10:52 PM »

In my R-390A ('67 EAC), there is some low-level audio output with the Local Gain control at full counter-clockwise rotation. I believe this to be a normal condition for this receiver.

But in my case, the volume with the Local Gain control in the minimum gain position is far from loud. I take the audio from terminals 7 and 8 of TB-102, with terminal 8 being the hot-side of the unbalanced 600 ohm output, and terminal 7 being the shield/ground return.

I am driving a triode-connected EL-34 (Altec-Lansing 1568A) power amplifier from the Local Output of my R-390A, and the drive level from the receiver is a very good match to the gain of this amplifier. Plus I am using a very efficient loudspeaker (102 dB SPL/one watt/one meter) with this combination.

Perhaps you are using an amplifier with too much gain. You should probably be using an amplifier with sufficient gain so that the approximately 1 volt of audio from the R-390A will drive it to essentially full output. The Local Output fulfills this output level requirement, and this is the input level nearly all consumer/professional audio power amplifiers (or integrated amplifiers using any of the auxilliary inputs, such as CD, Tuner, Tape Out, etc.) require for rated output power.

Bruce

Real transmitters are homebrewed with a ratchet wrench, and you have to stand up to tune them!

Arthur C. Clarke's Third Law: "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic".
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2008, 11:53:32 AM »

I am not using an external audio amp, I am using a Hallicrafters R-42 reproducer (600 ohms) connected directly to the local audio output.

I am still mystified when I get (albeit muffled) audio output when I ground the grid input to the first audio stage.  Will have to re-examine.......

Rich
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2008, 02:00:08 PM »

My R-390A is the same way, I never use the Audio gain control. It's always at or near min. I use a small xformer to impedance match the 8 ohm speaker to the 600ohm output. I never thought much about it.  I compensate by using the RF gain to reduce the output, and "fine tune" with the audio gain, if necessary.    Adding a pot in the line to the speaker would probably an easy fix...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W7SOE
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2008, 03:47:53 PM »

My R-390A is the same way, I never use the Audio gain control. It's always at or near min. I use a small xformer to impedance match the 8 ohm speaker to the 600ohm output. I never thought much about it.  I compensate by using the RF gain to reduce the output, and "fine tune" with the audio gain, if necessary.    Adding a pot in the line to the speaker would probably an easy fix...

Hmm, perhaps I should stop try to fix it.....
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015