The AM Forum
March 19, 2024, 04:21:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TRI-X-500  (Read 10254 times)
WB2G
Contributing

« on: December 13, 2007, 10:37:40 AM »

Does anyone have information about the Tri State Electronics TRI-X-500 transmitter?Anything at all would be helpful.Thanks .Joe WB2FQD

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2007, 10:52:18 AM »

Does anyone have information about the Tri State Electronics TRI-X-500 transmitter?Anything at all would be helpful.Thanks .Joe WB2FQD

It uses a 4X150 as a final.

300W am
500 SSB / CW (if I remember correctly).

--Shane
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2007, 07:26:18 PM »

Thanks Shane,Its a start,If anyone has a manual,schematic,brochure,ad or review of this transmitter that they could copy and send to me I would be more than happy to reimburse them for the postage and copy costs,It would make it a lot easier to bring it back to life.Thanks again.Joe P.S.Scan and email will work,I do have a printer.

"I am a mortal enemy to arbitrary government and unlimited power."Benjamin Franklin
WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2007, 06:11:25 PM »

Joe,

When you get that transmitter, post some pix here. I've never heard of it so could be a good article. Checked google several different ways and got nothing.

I get off for 3 weeks on the 28th, let me know if you want the TH-5 for that tower. I'll trade it for that new 4-250 you have.

Marty

AMI #20, GACW #786
nq5t
Contributing

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2007, 10:15:33 PM »

There's another photo of nice looking one here

http://www.jveras.com/radio/vintage/trix500.htm
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2007, 07:50:31 AM »

Picked up the xmtr on Monday the 17th,all 95 lbs. of it,this thing is really built well.500 watts SSB,400 CW,300 AM (not plate mod) well you can't have everything.Will post some pictures when I figured out how to load them from the camera???It looks like it should fire right up,can't find anything wrong with it yet.Uses a 4x150  final ,816's, 6x4's and Five  voltage regulators in the power supply.Pi net matches 40 to 100 ohms,VFO drive is agear with 110 to 1 ratio for 500 KC's.I can see why they wanted $795 for this back in 1963 .Will try to get it on the air this weekend.Joe. WB2FQD

w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2007, 11:58:39 AM »

That thing is tres cool, Joe!  Look forward to hearing it on the air.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
Steve - WB3HUZ
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2007, 12:20:00 PM »

Lots of cool photos on that site, including these two rare birds.

http://www.jveras.com/radio/vintage/dfp201.html

http://www.jveras.com/radio/vintage/dfp-501.html
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2007, 02:46:55 PM »

Looks like it will be next weekend,have a high voltage problem,but only when it's on.It's not a dead short ,just high current,will have to find out whats breaking down,can't find anything with the meter and don't see anything burning up????Happy Holidays,Joe WB2FQD

WB2RJR

1st BCT, 10th Mountain, returned from Iraq 11/2008

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2007, 06:01:49 AM »

have a high voltage problem,but only when it's on.It's not a dead short ,just high current,

Joe,

I've noticed that too. If you leave the transmitter off, it appears to be working perfectly well.

Had a problem with the GK some years ago where the resistor in the parasitic choke on the driver to the final opened. It didn't look like a dead short, but made the final draw current like crazy. That parasitic from the driver was making the final conduct like gangbusters.

Check or replace that parasitic choke on the driver and let us know what else you see.

We need info to help you solve this.

73 & Happy New Year

Marty WB2RJR

AMI #20, GACW #786
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2008, 04:46:28 PM »

This high voltage problem is finally solved.Changed both 6X4's,one was gassy,0A2 looked  a little smoky, 6AL5  was bad in the ALC, and replaced all the caps,turned it on,same problem.I took out the final still no good, almost worst.The more I took out of the high voltage circuit the worst it got until it started blowing the 10 amp input fuse.I started to think the filament transformer could be bad,sure enough,with  the 816's feeding just a meter it blew the fuse.Hay wired some high voltage diodes in ,no problem.First time I ever saw a transformer go bad like that,the thing still puts out 2.5 volts for the 816 filaments.I'm not going to bother replacing the filament transformer,not much room ,it's going solid state.Should have it back together this week. It's alive!!!.Joe,WB2FQD

KD6VXI
Contributing

Making AM GREAT Again!

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2008, 06:32:13 PM »

have a high voltage problem,but only when it's on.It's not a dead short ,just high current,

Joe,

I've noticed that too. If you leave the transmitter off, it appears to be working perfectly well.

Had a problem with the GK some years ago where the resistor in the parasitic choke on the driver to the final opened. It didn't look like a dead short, but made the final draw current like crazy. That parasitic from the driver was making the final conduct like gangbusters.

Check or replace that parasitic choke on the driver and let us know what else you see.

We need info to help you solve this.

73 & Happy New Year

Marty WB2RJR

Marty,

I have a NE2 on a LONG stick for checking that type of thing.

Works gangbusters.

--Shane
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2008, 06:32:55 PM »

Does anyone know where to get a Potter Brumfield KL-17D-110 relay 4PDT 110VDC,it's part of the standby ,transmit,and vox circuit.I could replace with a newer style relay ,but it's a little tight where it's located.Thanks Joe WB2FQD

WA3VJB
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2008, 07:22:21 PM »

Not to be confused with Tri-X 400.
WB2G
Contributing

« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2008, 07:54:49 PM »

This is one real pain in the neck,changed out the relay with a plug in P.B. that just fits,it still didn't work,found a small and I mean small green wire that was really coax cable that had shorted,okay the relays all work.Hooked up a 500 watt dummy load and started to tune it up,it didn't seem to be acting right then it blew the main 10 amp fuse.I found the final had gotten hot enough to melt the solder and shorted out even though the fan was running.The plate meter which was actually held together inside with glue had fallen apart after 50 years and the grid meter had a intermittent contact in the metering circuit.Hoyt  makes a meter that fits the openings without any cutting so that's fixed but I did notice that the drive  tune capacitor seemed erratic and will have to check it out before I fire It up again.For something that looked to be in really good shape it has got a lot of problems ,just hope its all worth it in the end.Joe WB2FQD

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015