The AM Forum
April 28, 2024, 03:59:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Simplest Modulator.  (Read 16122 times)
Vortex Joe - N3IBX

« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »

If you really want simple - check out my Zinc Negative Resistance Oscillator:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDBpBYkRw0Q

Schematic:  http://picasaweb.google.com/RANickels/ZincNegativeResistanceOscillator

Taking pissweak to a whole new level - but hey, it's AM!

73, Bob W9RAN

Bob,
      I looked at your skizmatic, but don't quite understand it. How does it work? Could I replace the xtal with a audio transformer of the correct impeadance to match the plate of the output tube?

Best Regards,
                 Joe N3IBX

Joe Cro N3IBX

Anything that is Breadboarded,Black Crackle, or that squeals when you tune it gives me MAJOR WOOD!
W3RSW
Contributing

Rick & "Roosevelt"

« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2008, 11:11:28 AM »

I must be missing something.
The 3.58 mc osc. I understand, similar to a 2 pin tunnel diode in neg. resistance range. 
I believe early literature shows two pin active devices similar to the metal strip with hot spots; they just didn't understand quantum theory. The transistor was invented after understanding quantum theory, tunneling in quantum states, electron leakage across higher discrete potential barrier states, statistically some electrons having greater energies than the barrier, etc.

But in this circuit the note clearly states for "audio range" substitute input transformer for the crystal.  Well, if it oscillates in the audio range it will be a single,  audio range,tone howler, not a hf oscillator anymore.   So did we suddenly go from an osc. to an amplifier attempt?   If so why not just simply hook up the audio souce directly to the CD player (symbol looks like a cd player.)
Don't see AM here unless the crystal is left in circuti and the input transformer placed somewhere else affecting the CW waveform.

RICK  *W3RSW*
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015