The AM Forum
May 01, 2024, 01:50:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dale Jr. Wins the Budweiser Shootout!  (Read 5018 times)
n4vgb
« on: February 09, 2008, 10:17:19 PM »

And that just proves that not even an evil step-mother can't keep a good man down!
Ed/KB1HYS
Contributing

« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2008, 08:51:21 AM »

He's certainly a chip off the old block.

You know, I've always thought that NASCAR should have an UNLIMITED class race.  Just like the Reno Air races do.
The only requirements are that you use a reciprocating engine (no jets).  Can you imagine how far automotive technology would advance then??  Not to mention how cool it would be to watch 400+ mph races...

73 de Ed/KB1HYS
Happiness is Hot Tubes, Cold 807's, and warm room filling AM Sound.
 "I've spent three quarters of my life trying to figure out how to do a $50 job for $.50, the rest I spent trying to come up with the $0.50" - D. Gingery
W2JBL

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2008, 05:15:45 PM »

Ed- we call what your asking about (unlimited) Supermodifieds. as far as i know they still run at Wall Speedway in NJ, Oswego NY, and a few tracks in New England. they are winged, open wheel tube frame cars with the unlimited big block engine mounted outside the left frame rail and can outlap an Indy car on a short track. 800+ horsepower on a 1100# car. i used to watch them up in Oswego in the 70's. the walls were boiler plate back then...OUCH! and congrats to Junior on the win!
W2JBL

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2008, 07:29:13 PM »

a supermodified is quite different from a sprint car. the driver sits low (not upright), and to the left, has a "roof" over his head, the wheelbase is longer- 100 or so inches, the track width is wider, and four wheel brakes are used, as well as more or less equal size tires on all four. it is a pavement car, as opposed to a dirt. the engine and driveline are mounted outside the frame on the left side. engines are big block, alky burning and mostly unrestricted. NASCAR used to run them at Daytona and a few bigger tracks but it just got too wild, as they were faster than the Indy cars. it takes titanium balls to drive one. ask K1KBW. he ran them up at Thompson Ct. back in the day. 
N1ESE
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2008, 11:42:05 AM »

Doug Heveron, Mike Mazur, Russ Wood, Mike Ordway!  Not to mention of cast of other awesome Super owners/drivers.  I have a picture around here from when I used to help Doug Heveron and Mike Mazur out here at Star Speedway on Sunday nights.

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2008, 11:44:18 AM »

Supers haven't changed much over the years, here are what they look like today -

- JT
WA1QHQ

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2008, 02:55:06 PM »

Racecar Engineering a UK mag did an article on Supermodifieds a while back it was titled "Hell On Wheels" that about sums up a Super Modified. I used to be an Olie Silva fan which should date me.

Earnhart did a great job in the Bud Shootout but he couldn't have done it without the help of Jimmy Johnson and Jeff Gordon. Gordon sacrificed a third place position to break a draft that would probably have put Tony Stewart up front and Johnson moved up to provide a great drafting partner so little E could move into the lead. It was one of the best Cup race finishes I have seen in a while. I think Johnson will win the 500 though.
N1ESE
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2008, 07:37:00 PM »

Well, Tony would have won the race outright if Busch hadn't cut down a tire with 6 laps to go.  He had a strong lead when that final caution came out. Cheesy

- JT
W2JBL

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2008, 10:05:46 PM »

i haven't seen saves from crossed up sideways like in that race since the days when the Alabama Gang ran the "big cars" on bias ply tires! hats off to NASCAR (for once) for rolling out a car the guys can drive without a caution every three laps. 

i spent some time this afternoon educating a young co-worker about how we used to run bias play tires and could go sideways without losing it on pavement. then i explained manual steering. the kid thought "they were easy to steer once they were moving" (?) and i had to remind him that when you get down in to the corner the car usually did not want to turn, and you actually had to DRIVE it, and it would fight you all the way around. i got out about when bias ply tires went to radial, and power steering came in. it was just no fun after that...

i'm sick of watching personality-less corporate zombie kids like Johnson and Busch masturbate for 500 miles. Curtis Turner where are you when the sport needs you so bad? i hope Junior wins one for his Dad this weekend. he ain't perfect but at least he's REAL.
N1ESE
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2008, 04:42:41 PM »

Yup, Junior again.. was a good duel.  Second one is seeing more problems and taking a bit longer though. 

- JT
N1ESE
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2008, 06:30:03 PM »

First Cup win for Toyota in Duel #2, Denny Hamlin with Smoke in 2nd.  Another great race, the 500 should be great.. also looking forward to the truck race tomorrow.

W2JBL

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 12:17:08 AM »

agreed! best show in NASCAR is the trucks for a few years now. a couple years ago my brother was hangin' out with the Bodine brothers at a diner near Watkins Glen and Jeff commented to him that he didn't care if he ever turned another lap in a "cup" car 'cause the truck racing was the most fun he'd had since bangin' wheels in modifieds up at Fonda with guys like Brett Hearn and Richie Evans.
N1ESE
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 01:21:47 AM »

Sometimes I think the Craftsmen Truck series is the best in NASCAR now.
That's a big 10-4, qualifying tonight was great.. nice to see Darnell and Cook on the front row.  Andy Lally did great for his first appearance as well.

- JT
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015