The AM Forum
April 27, 2024, 03:00:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Harrison Re-elected ARRL President  (Read 11769 times)
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« on: January 21, 2008, 04:43:54 PM »

From the ARRL web site, dated 1/21/08"
"The ARRL Board of Directors held their Annual January meeting January 18-19 in Houston, Texas. One of the first items on the agenda was the election of ARRL officers and members of the Executive Committee. Members of the Administration and Finance Committee and Programs and Services Committee were selected Saturday morning.

All officers were re-elected to another two-year term without opposition: Joel Harrison, W5ZN, ARRL President; Kay Craigie, N3KN, First Vice President; Rick Roderick, K5UR, Vice President; Rod Stafford, W6ROD, International Affairs Vice President; David Sumner, K1ZZ, Secretary, and James McCobb Jr, K1LU, Treasurer."

For the rest of the details, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/01/21/102/?nc=1

* Brewing_something.gif (11.08 KB, 106x142 - viewed 908 times.)

Pete, WA2CWA - "A Cluttered Desk is a Sign of Genius"
Bill, KD0HG

304-TH - Workin' it

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 10:54:56 AM »

From the ARRL web site, dated 1/21/08"
"

All officers were re-elected to another two-year term without opposition: Joel Harrison, W5ZN, ARRL President; Kay Craigie, N3KN, First Vice President; Rick Roderick, K5UR, Vice President; Rod Stafford, W6ROD, International Affairs Vice President; David Sumner, K1ZZ, Secretary, and James McCobb Jr, K1LU, Treasurer."

For the rest of the details, go here:
http://www.remote.arrl.org/news/stories/2008/01/21/102/?nc=1

Why is this scenario frighteningly similar to Politburo elections in the old Soviet Union?

* 13.jpg (120.1 KB, 300x201 - viewed 985 times.)
W3DBB

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 11:15:37 AM »

Doug

beautiful downtown Strodes Mills, Pennsylvania
w3jn
Johnny Novice
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 11:01:17 AM »

Perhaps the ARRL is practicing for when Castro finally craps out.

In all seriousness, what is the deal here?  Are there really no other interested parties?  Is opposition actively discouraged (a la "potential future conflicts of interest")?  Or is the membership just really disinterested in the leadership?

I would think that a national organization with the ARRL's stature would be extraordinarily embarrassed at such a situation.

FCC:  "The record is devoid of a demonstrated nexus between Morse code proficiency and on-the-air conduct."
ka3zlr
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2008, 12:28:51 PM »

It's for certain that I have no use for the present Elect...naturally I think they feel the same about me...LOL..."Riiiiiight"....

No cooperation, No Money...simple matter really...LOL....

Supported the league for many years...I miss sending in My support...and it's Not My Fault...Honesty Integrity Trustworthiness...It does make a difference...
W3SLK

Just another member member.

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2008, 12:39:15 PM »

Pete said:
All officers were re-elected to another two-year term without opposition: Joel Harrison, W5ZN, ARRL President; Kay Craigie, N3KN, First Vice President; Rick Roderick, K5UR, Vice President; Rod Stafford, W6ROD, International Affairs Vice President; David Sumner, K1ZZ, Secretary, and James McCobb Jr, K1LU, Treasurer

Wow!! Good thing I was sitting down when I read that!  Huh

Mike(y)/W3SLK
Invisible airwaves crackle with life, bright antenna bristle with the energy. Emotional feedback, on timeless wavelength, bearing a gift beyond lights, almost free.... Spirit of Radio/Rush
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2008, 01:21:12 PM »

Perhaps the ARRL is practicing for when Castro finally craps out.

In all seriousness, what is the deal here?  Are there really no other interested parties?  Is opposition actively discouraged (a la "potential future conflicts of interest")?  Or is the membership just really disinterested in the leadership?

I would think that a national organization with the ARRL's stature would be extraordinarily embarrassed at such a situation.

I would view "these" elected positions every two years mostly a formality. The positions are senior management. The only time you can get a body change is through "step down", "step out", or "drop dead" action on the part of the elected person. These elected positions are nominated and voted on by the 15 Directors. Unless you can convince the majority of the Directors to nominate someone different (from wherever), you're not going to see a change in their senior management.

However, members do have the power to vote and support Directors and Vice-Directors who are more in line with their views of amateur radio. Of course, if you're not a member, and don't wish to support the many great activities and actions of the ARRL, your recourse can be to do or say nothing (don't care philosophy) or become a full-time ARRL whiner. Strength in members can help facilitate and bring about change in Director philosophy at the Board Table, and ultimately, can possibly bring about change at the higher levels.

ka3zlr
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2008, 01:42:53 PM »

Well when any machine is set up in a closed circuit design it leaves little room for improvement...subsequent alterations only come from it breaking down, and the same parts to fix it...Therein a Bridgeport is still a Bridgeport.

I'm the Customer...the Customer is Always right...

Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 01:58:48 PM »

Well when any machine is set up in a closed circuit design it leaves little room for improvement...subsequent alterations only come from it breaking down, and the same parts to fix it...Therein a Bridgeport is still a Bridgeport.

I'm the Customer...the Customer is Always right...

It doesn't have to break down to have change. However, as with many corporations at this level, change generally can only be initiated from within that structure. A management change can be voluntary or involuntary. Involuntary generally happens when a member gets hit by a truck, bus, etc.

In the real world, we make the customer believe they're always right because that's what they want to hear. In the ARRL's case, you're either a member or non-member of an organization. There are no warranties or guarantees expressed or implied.

ka3zlr
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 02:04:47 PM »

Obvious Self Serving Structure I would say...leaves little for the good of the many....

How Ya doen Pete...Hows the Family...
Pete, WA2CWA

CQ CQ CONTEST

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 02:51:27 PM »

Obvious Self Serving Structure I would say...leaves little for the good of the many....

Self serving in what way - what's their gain - power, fame, fortune, etc. Huh

"leaves little for good of the many" I have no clue what this means - leaves little of what  Huh

ka3zlr
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »

Self serving in what way - what's their gain - power, fame, fortune, etc. Huh

"leaves little for good of the many" I have no clue what this means - leaves little of what  Huh

Ok Pete I'll run with you on this matter for a bit, No Harm in good discussion.

By your own description you mention many times Corporate and Corporation venue, management level actions etc. Now From a Lay standpoint as I am the "Customer" and I have to be sold on this ideal from the descriptor that is " Non For Profit Organization" representing Licensed Amateur Radio Operators, Which is it OM a Corporation or an Organization...a member corporation only envisions What.? A member organization only  envisions what.?

From the needs of the many standpoint what has been the past track record of this entity that continually causes more disruption to the service good, than accomplishes what is actually needed..Truth in Past track record...I am Not sold again...from the leadership stand point level...this is an opinion I hold..

For anyone to join any organization or corporation on a membership level it would be good logic to research this entity on more than from just a heritage standpoint you agree...unless what..?.. possibility of gain..?.. some gain any gain..is better than none..i would assume...again I'm the "Customer" what are my needs..

How are you going to sell me a membership to this entity...

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015