The AM Forum
May 19, 2024, 08:46:30 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Home   Help Calendar Links Staff List Gallery Login Register  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: If You Like Cars....  (Read 4366 times)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« on: January 16, 2008, 12:13:59 PM »

..or trucks, boats, bikes, weird vehicles, then you'll enjoy watching the annual Scottsdale AZ Barrett Jackson Classic Car Auction. TV coverage began last night (that's why I didn't make it back on, Buddly), 7PM Eastern - Midnight on the Speed Channel. Runs through Sunday afternoon, coverage begins at 2PM either Thursday or Friday. Works out pretty well this week since the band has been going long by 6PM.

Many of us share a love for our vehicles and the US history of cars in general, as well as other things like photography, astronomy, firearms, red stuff....anyway....

Among the interesting vehicles this year (besides your typical muscle cars, race cars, and classics) are one of the original Beverly Hillbillies trucks used on TV and in the movie, the Monkees mobile, Dukes of Hazzard Charger, Thelma and Louise T-Bird, and the car-eating Robosaurus, seen recently in a Toyota truck commercial. They even have a re-creation of the original Batmobile on a '74 Lincoln chassis, built to the same lines as the original 55 Futura used by Barris (always loved that car).

Last night they had a '77 VW Super Beetle fuelie convertible with...38 original miles, a '66 Dodge Tradesman van with 16K+ original miles, an '80 Trans Am Turbo Special Edition with 7300 original miles, and plenty of other cool rigs. Tuesday is apparently bargain day, as a lot of the stuff went for under $20K. But they have interesting finds every day - low mileage, low production, rare manufaturers, and so on.

You can visit the page and go through a list of the vehicles by day or complete list, with photos and infos available for each. Prices are posted after the vehicles are sold.

http://www.barrett-jackson.com/application/search/default.aspx

Not unlike everyone's favorite *cough* online auction site, it's a great opportunity to see things you've never seen before, and probably never will again. Like Carroll Shelby's personal Super Snake Cobra selling for $5mil. last year.

* GT-40.jpg (502.66 KB, 1440x1028 - viewed 283 times.)

known as The Voice of Vermont in a previous life
W4RON
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 05:43:44 PM »

I'll be there for sure, watched 3 hours of it last night.
Plan on seeing as much as possible all the way through
Sunday.

Like I told my wife the other day, most of what I see on TV
is cars I can't afford and food I'm not supposed to eat...

73 all,

Ron W4RON
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2008, 02:14:30 PM »

How about that 1986 Camaro Z-28 with 6 miles, never titled. Not a stellar car for most collectors, but rare in its new, unused condition. The 71 Torino 429 Cobra Jet in Grabber Blue was nice, too. Got to drive one of those in the early 80s, the most powerful car I've driven to this day. Worth every bit of the $2K asking price, should've bought it!!

I found all those messes created on Monster Garage to be tiresome, hoping they're done with that stuff now. A good mix is nice, but....

It's pretty amazing what they dig up for this auction every year. The variety of ages, stock, custom, race-ready, concept....quite fascinating, really. And all sold with no reserve, more than can be said for ebay.

You should've told the wife to find one she likes and bid on it, Ron. That E-type 2+2 converted to F.I. was a deal. $100K in work receipts, went for...$22K? Room in back for the dog, or a couple of [small] kids. Wink

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2008, 09:02:43 AM »

the war dept as well as myself also watch it. The selling prices quite often leave one scratching their head. Some cars that you just know will bring big bux dont, and some that you dont think will, do!! It is fun to watch, just the same. It usually causes me to invent a few new cusswords when I remember what I had bought and sold some of those cars for 30 years ago!! (Like the '70 Plymouth superbird that I bought for $1K and sold for $1.5k with a blown motor back in the late 70s) Cry Cry

With the buyers premiums and the sellers premiums, it would be velly intelesting to know what Barrett-Jackson makes when its all said and done!! Shocked

The Slab Bacon

"No is not an answer and failure is not an option!"
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2008, 11:56:34 AM »

When you remember that they have over 8 acres under tents, it's easy to see that it's an expensive event. Still the buyer's premium has never appealed to me. It's like paying for the right to pay the most. Imagine paying $60K for a car, then having to pay another $6 on top of that. The announcers actually made reference to it on Tuesday night, that bidders who were asked why it took them so long to respond when the bidding was closing for an item said they were factoring in the 10% premium before deciding to go further.

They charge you for registration, which is fine and should cover their expenses for badges, catalogs, and whatever else they issue to bidders. Charge the sellers more, just like you would for advertising, commission selling, whatever else. They're the ones who stand to benefit the most financially from an auction venue.   

That rant aside, was telling the XYL last night that this is my Superbowl, World Series, etc. It comes once a year, but lasts for a week (televised for 6 days). It's interesting to see what folks dig up.

Last night's high points for me: the Chrysler Airflow(a car way ahead of its time) found in a barn, restored, and sold for $85K; '69 Torino Talladega Big Block, 1 of 748 built so they could be eligible to be used as race cars, $42K (the deal of the auction, so far); and the '70 Mustang Boss 302 that sold for $105K. Can't wait to tell my uncle about the 'stang, he had one of the squash orange colored models he bought new and later sold. That Packard Caribbean convertible was nice too, even at $141K.

Today's theme is the TV/Movie car. Coverage starts at 2PM. Hope they don't sell Bat 1 until I get home. Cheesy

(photos are from the Barrett-Jackson site)

* Airflow.jpg (816.48 KB, 1440x938 - viewed 302 times.)

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »

Me and the war dept watched it all day saturday. (all 10 hours) Lots of good charitable stuff, several cars went ova $1mil, but not like last year. Seemed the overall selling prices were bringing a little less than last year. It seemed like a little more of a buyers market.

So, Mack, I know you were one of the internet bidders!! What did ya buy?? Wink Wink

I think next year we might have a Barrett-jackson party (like a superbowl party) for all of my gearhead buddies that want to come over. After all Big screen, Barrett-Jackson, and good food!! Whats not to like! I know I invented at least 25 new cusswords seeing what some of the cars I owned in the past were bringing!! but I had to go out on sunday and didnt see any of sundays broadcast. Cry Cry

The Slab Bacon

WA3VJB
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2008, 09:51:03 AM »

Frank if you can get The Vortex to come down in his classic, we will show up in the Electramobile.

Your driveway is not long enough however, so warn the neighbors about curb space.

Also maybe ring up Larry, NE1S with that old Falcon.

* 64.jpg (77.35 KB, 640x480 - viewed 317 times.)
The Slab Bacon

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2008, 11:31:37 AM »

Paul,
       the OM had a 64 duce an a quarta. Dark navy blue 4 door. I used to blow him into the weeds with my '60 New Yorka!! The old "Golden Lion 413" was really in its element out on the open highway back then. Wasen't even a little bit close! He finally put a rod out of the side of the old nailhead 401/445 trying to catch me. We used to race just about every night coming home from work! After tossing the second engine he finally scrapped it.

The Slab Bacon

WA3VJB
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2008, 06:47:38 PM »

Well I was hoping to see some normal cars in that auction, like this rare, unrestored, original condition roadster.

Still available, no reserve.

* IMG_6214'.jpg (636.02 KB, 1000x700 - viewed 286 times.)
Todd, KA1KAQ
Administrator

AMbassador

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2008, 10:46:14 AM »

Ah, yes - Fiat's answer the the MGB. Looks to be maybe 6 months old?   Grin

They rusted out faster than the Datsun/Nissan version, which at least had a 6 cyl engine.

Frank if you can get The Vortex to come down in his classic, we will show up in the Electramobile.

Your driveway is not long enough however, so warn the neighbors about curb space.

Also maybe ring up Larry, NE1S with that old Falcon.

Speaking of curb space, that's a sweet looking Electra, Paul. Alongs the lines of the Wildcat of the same day? The radiator for the Lincoln is scheduled for repair in Maine soon. Not sure I'd be brave enough to drive it to Baltimore since it's been off the road for a coupla years, but Deerfield isn't out of the question.

* lincoln1.jpg (99.55 KB, 870x653 - viewed 267 times.)

* lincolndoors.jpg (106.12 KB, 870x653 - viewed 256 times.)

The Slab Bacon

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2008, 10:27:23 AM »

At 149,000 RPM ya just never know whatz gonna fly!! Grin Grin

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

AMfone - Dedicated to Amplitude Modulation on the Amateur Radio Bands
 AMfone © 2001-2015